Tottenham Hotspur manager Jose Mourinho on Thursday questioned the point of having referees on the pitch, saying VAR was bad for the game.
His comments came after his side were victims of a controversially disallowed equaliser in a 3-1 defeat at Sheffield United in the 2019/2020 English Premier League (EPL).
Harry Kane thought he had levelled for Spurs almost immediately after Sander Berge had given the hosts the lead in their EPL clash at Bramall Lane.
But VAR officials at their bunker in Stockley Park ruled that Lucas Moura had used his arm in the build-up.
This was in spite of the Brazilian being shoved over and then having the ball booted against him while sliding headlong on the turf.
A pundit, Jamie Redknapp, described the decision as one of the worst he had seen and called for common sense.
Mourinho looked furious at the time but the Portuguese coach refused to turn his ire on referee Chris Kavanagh.
“I think the referee should always be the man on the pitch and the man in the office should support and assist,” Mourinho said of the incident. “But that’s not the way that it is.
“Especially a referee who’s not very good on the pitch, we can’t expect him to be very good in the office. `
“We’re going into a direction that is very bad for a game which was the game that everyone fell in love with.
“Normally I am an emotional guy on the bench. But, in this moment, I never complain with the man with the whistle because he’s not the referee anymore.
“I used to go to the fourth (official). But the man on the pitch is the assistant referee and today the man and the lady with the flag, (who) used to be the assistant referees, are now assistant’s assistant. The ref is in the office.”
Sheffield United manager Chris Wilder has been a critic of VAR and felt wronged when his side had a goal ruled out in their 1-1 draw at Tottenham in November.
He felt Mourinho’s angst.
“I’ve got a back catalogue of decisions that have gone against us. We’re the unofficial champs of Europe with decisions against us,” he said. “I think it’s a nonsense rule.
“I totally understand the frustration of their (Tottenham’s) manager and players. We’ve had the rub of the green tonight on that one, well overdue. But we’ll take it.”
Mourinho, whose side slipped to ninth, nine points adrift of the top four, questioned his side’s reaction to the decision to chalk off Kane’s goal.
“We have to do better, we have to be mentally stronger to cope with what happened during the game,” he said.
“It was a kick in the teeth but with 50 minutes to go, we have to be stronger. I don’t think we were strong enough mentally.”
Source: Vanguard News
Nigerians reacts to the effect of Covid-19 lockdown
- #BBNaija2020: I Saw Sp3rm Stain In The House – Nengi Says
- EPL: Real Madrid left-back, Reguilon chooses Chelsea
- Father Impregnates Daughter; Both Of Them S h a v e d And Publicly Disgraced (Video)
- Dortmund Board Announce Update On Jadon Sancho’s Move To Manchester United
- EPL: Arteta chooses between Willian, Coutinho
- Arsenal plan to make 55 staff redundant
- EPL: Paul Scholes names player Manchester United should sign instead of Sancho
- How Lampard tried to block Willian’s move to Arsenal
- Boko Haram supplier arrested in Borno
- Most of all this Loans was taken by Goodluck Jonathan – Amaechi Claims
- Dortmund issues update on Jadon Sancho’s move to Man Utd
- EPL: Solskjaer confirms Alexis Sanchez deal
- Gov Abiodun hands Ogun State over to Christians – Islamic group blows hot
- Nigerian govt reacts to video of stranded Nigerian ladies in Saudi Arabia
- Dorathy Willingly Allowed Ozo To Press Her Big Breasts (VIDEO)
- Soldier Arrested For Criticising Tukur Buratai Feared Dead As Chief Of Army Staff Allegedly Attempts Cover Up
- BBNaija: Nigerians M0ck Cameroonians After Photos Of Their Version Of Big Brother Show Surfaced Online
- #BBNaija2020: ”Shut Your Mouth” Ozo Clashes With Fellow Housemate, Prince (Watch Video)
- Don’t Wear Miniskirt To Yaba Market”- Nigerian Lady Cries Out [Read Why]
- BREAKING: Police take over Edo House of Assembly (PHOTOS)
- I was tempted to touch, says pastor accused of raping fellow pastor’s daughter
- “I Know I’m The One Coming Between You And Erica” – Nengi Tells Kiddwaya (Watch Video)
- I Saw Sperm Stain In The House – Nengi Reveals
- BBNaija 2020: Erica breaks up with Kiddwaya
- Europa League: All the teams that have qualified for quarter-finals so far
- Moment Kiddwaya Got Jealous As Neo Hugged Erica (Watch Video)
- Gov Dapo Abiodun Has Sold Ogun State To Christians – MURIC
- JUST IN: Edo House Of Assembly Complex Taken Over By Police
- Edo: Obaseki loses another appointee as SSA resigns, joins Ize-Iyamu
- ‘Man Utd is in my blood’ – Jesse Lingard reacts to Europa League victory
- #BBNaija2020: “I Didn’t Plan Making Out With You But I Enjoyed It” – Erica Tells Kiddwaya (Watch Video)
- BBNaija: I Find It Very Irritating & Disrespectful When Kiddwaya Kisses Erica In My Front – Laycon
- ‘Nigeria will break if North refuses South presidency in 2023’
- I Want To Remove My Womb – Toyin Lawani Reveals After Suffering From Fibroid For 15 Years
- BBNaija: Kaisha tells Laycon why he failed to have Erica as girlfriend
- Netflix star, Daisy Coleman dies at 23
- Fire engulfs popular Ajman Market in UAE, destroys goods worth millions
- NALDA Partners Abia To Boost Agriculture
- BBNaija 2020: I may be evicted on Sunday – Wathoni
- #BBNaija2020: Nengi, Kidwwaya, Dorathy And Team B Housemates Wins N2 Million
- WAEC Debunks Fire Outbreak At Headquarters
- Group calls for support, commends performance of Farouq
- EPL: Man Utd chief, Woodward unimpressed over two things in Sancho’s transfer negotiations
- PDP members to ICPC: Investigate Godwin Obaseki
- Nigerians React To The Crashed Relationship Between Housemates, Erica And Kiddwaya
- Jake Paul’s neighbors heard ‘mysterious explosions’ before FBI raid
- Zoe Kravitz’s ‘High Fidelity’ Reboot Canceled at Hulu
- US workers file over 1 million jobless claims for 20th straight week
- How village head allegedly had sex with own daughter for four years in Ogun
- Meghan McCain is Sick of “B.S.” Questions About Leaving ‘The View’: “I Hate This”
- Gov. Makinde Explains Why Major Contracts In Oyo State Are Awarded To Non-Indigenous Firms
- Giancarlo Stanton checks out Vanessa Hudgens as model ex moves on
- BBNaija’s Frodd Mocked For Being “Broke” And Not Having A Benz
- UNN begins registration for 2020 Post-UTME, reveals eligible candidates
- Regina Daniels’ husband, Ned Nwoko reveals why he was prevented from entering the labour room while Regina had their baby (Video)
- Amount Man Utd paid Alexis Sanchez to join Inter Milan revealed
- BREAKING: Gunmen kill pregnant woman, three others in Bayelsa
- Comedian Basketmouth celebrates his daughter Janelle on her 9th birthday (Photos)
- Sanchez joins Inter Milan from Man United on free transfer
- Long Island residents rip PSEG for poor customer service after Isaias
- WWE legend Marty Jannetty’s apparent murder confession sparks police probe
- Resumption of Ogoni oil exploration: Terms interested operators must meet — Host communities
- Edo: Oshiomhole does not control police, Obaseki must explain Assembly tussle – Ize-Iyamu
- US wants to eliminate Chinese apps from US app stores
- Princess Diana’s bridesmaid says she spent time on Jeffrey Epstein’s island
- Pilots’ union suspends picketing of Bristow Helicopters as Minister intervenes
- ‘Big Brother’ premiere reveals rowdy ‘All-Stars’ cast, COVID-19 precautions
- Alleged diversion of N6.25b COVID-19 palliatives baseless – NDDC
- Kazeem Oluwasina becomes new EFCC head in Kwara
- Trump impeachment witness Fiona Hill gets book deal