ALBANY — Time to close the curtain.
Good government watchdogs want state lawmakers to scale back Gov. Andrew Cuomo’s emergency coronavirus powers that have allowed him to sidestep, rewrite and create new laws throughout the pandemic.
“We write to urge you to review and place new limits on the emergency powers granted to the governor earlier this year,” wrote New York’s top watchdogs Common Cause NY, the League of Women Voters, Reinvent Albany and the New York Public Interest Research Group in a joint letter Wednesday to Cuomo and legislative leaders state Sen. Majority Leader Andrea Stewart Cousins (D-Westchester), Assembly Speaker Carl Heastie (D-The Bronx, Sen. Minority Leader Rob Ortt (R-Lockport) and Assembly Minority Leader Will Barclay (R-Syracuse).
“As the state cautiously begins the process of reopening and with the benefit of experience, we now believe a review and changes in the delegation of authority are necessary. The American form of representative democracy primarily hinges on the balance of power between co-equal branches of government,” they wrote.
The Legislature passed the emergency law in early March, awarding Cuomo a grand expansion of authority to suspend any “statute, local law, ordinance, order, rule or regulation or part thereof” related to preserving public health and “necessary to aid the disaster effort.”
The move gave Cuomo the ability to issue multiple 30-day executive orders — including the statewide shutdown of non-essential businesses and shortening of the school year. That power expires in April 2021.
But now that New Yorkers are on the other side of the mountain, with a majority of regions entering final reopening phases, reformers want lawmakers back in Albany.
“As the state moves out of the most severe quarantine restrictions, we believe it is time to review and revise the delegation of power. Accordingly, we urge that the powers of the Governor be limited to a specific period of time and only extended as the result of legislative approval by the Legislature. It must not be “automatic,”” wrote the watchdogs, as the Legislature has the power to remove Cuomo’s authority if they pass a joint resolution.
They are also calling on pols to finish the remainder of the legislative session cut short by the pandemic, criticizing them for meeting only to vote on “limited” agendas via remote technology like Zoom — for things like COVID-19 emergency bills or police reform legislation.
Lawmakers also have the power to approve or deny fiscal cuts to the $177 billion state budget approved in April.
Neither Stewart-Cousins nor Heastie responded for comment, but both Republican leaders applauded the suggestions.
“Both Senate and Assembly Republicans placed amendments on the floor to end the Governor’s unchecked and unbridled powers, and Democrats who control both houses voted no. It is time for Democrats to stop hiding behind the Governor and to follow our lead to end his control,” Orrt said in a statement.
“It’s refreshing that good-government groups have finally realized Gov. Cuomo’s unilateral rule is completely opposite of how a ‘good government’ is supposed to function. Opportunities to rein in the governor’s power have been there. What is lacking is a willingness by the majorities to take that necessary – and overdue – step,” added Barclay.
One Democratic Assemblymember spoke to The Post on condition of anonymity, and agreed that it’s a good idea to neuter Cuomo’s powers.
“Once we enter Phase 4, there’s no reason why we shouldn’t — at a minimum — go back and remove his power,” the pol remarked of Cuomo.
“Theres no reason for him to be running the show by himself anymore.”
Cuomo’s office was not as enthusiastic.
“The legislature passed dozens of bills since the emergency powers went into effect and the Governor signed many of them into law, but without the executive authority granted by the Legislature, we could not have successfully managed the pandemic and helped New Yorkers crush the curve of this deadly virus,” Cuomo spokesman Jason Conwall said in a statement.
“While New York’s infection rate is now one of the lowest in the country, make no mistake: this pandemic is not over and we must stay vigilant as many other states experience outbreaks.”
Source: New York Post
Nigerians reacts to the effect of Covid-19 lockdown
- This 32-year-old who Has Both Male And Female S 3 x 0 r g a n s Cries Out, Here Is What Happened To Him (Video)
- EPL: Real Madrid left-back, Reguilon chooses Chelsea
- BBNaija: Erica Breaks Up With Kiddwaya, Few Days After Having Fun With Him
- EPL: Arteta chooses between Willian, Coutinho
- Arsenal plan to make 55 staff redundant
- EPL: Paul Scholes names player Manchester United should sign instead of Sancho
- Boko Haram supplier arrested in Borno
- Dortmund issues update on Jadon Sancho’s move to Man Utd
- EPL: Solskjaer confirms Alexis Sanchez deal
- Nigerian govt reacts to video of stranded Nigerian ladies in Saudi Arabia
- Popular Slay Queen Grows Lean After C0ntracting HIV/AIDS
- I was tempted to touch, says pastor accused of raping fellow pastor’s daughter
- BBNaija 2020: Erica breaks up with Kiddwaya
- #BBNaija2020: ”Shut Your Mouth” Ozo Clashes With Fellow Housemate, Prince (Watch Video)
- Most of all this Loans was taken by Goodluck Jonathan – Amaechi Claims
- Soldier Arrested For Criticising Tukur Buratai Feared Dead As Chief Of Army Staff Allegedly Attempts Cover Up
- Europa League: All the teams that have qualified for quarter-finals so far
- Gov Dapo Abiodun Has Sold Ogun State To Christians – MURIC
- ‘Man Utd is in my blood’ – Jesse Lingard reacts to Europa League victory
- Fire engulfs popular Ajman Market in UAE, destroys goods worth millions
- BBNaija: Kaisha tells Laycon why he failed to have Erica as girlfriend
- ‘Nigeria will break if North refuses South presidency in 2023’
- Biden’s campaign knocked on zero doors this week — while Trump’s hit one million
- #BBNaija2020: Nengi, Kidwwaya, Dorathy And Team B Housemates Wins N2 Million
- Inter chief Marotta confirms permanent signing of Alexis Sanchez
- Security malaise and post Covid-19 Nigeria
- Why Did Max Leave ‘Catfish’ and Who Is the New Host Kamie Crawford?
- BBNaija 2020: I may be evicted on Sunday – Wathoni
- Over 40 #RevolutionNow Protesters Arrested In Abuja
- Netflix star, Daisy Coleman dies at 23
- Akwa Ibom PDP commiserates with APC over Chairman’s demise
- Singer Burna Boy Set To Release 5th Album Titled ‘Twice As Tall’ On 14th Of August
- NYC exploring public takeover of school buses — with one company linked to de Blasio
- United, Inter reach Europa League last eight
- Inside NYC’s pandemic beach brouhaha: Meet die-hards who arrive at sunrise
- Ganduje lauds Buhari over Kofa’s appointment as Federal Housing ED
- BREAKING: Popular Market In Ajman, United Arab Emirates, Razed By Fire
- Watch As Man Refuses To Kneel While Proposing To Girlfriend (Video)
- Osimhen’s agent reveals why Napoli hitman picked Number 9
- Osimhen to get €2.5m if Napoli win Champions League
- Edo: Obaseki loses another appointee as SSA resigns, joins Ize-Iyamu
- Nigerians react as US alerts of ISIS, Al-Qaeda invasion
- NIDCOM Chairman, Abike Dabiri-erewa Replies Toyin Abraham For Saying Nigerians Should Not Be Subject To Suffering
- Bride’s Photo Shoot Interrupted By Massive Blast In Lebanon (Video)
- Controversial Photos Of Ladies Dressed As $exy Catholic Nuns [See Video]
- I Need To Get Married This Year But I Don’t Want To Marry A Broke Guy – Nigerian Lady Reveals
- Boko Haram: Ex-Senate President, Ebute writes Governors, reveals reason for resurgence of terrorists [Full letter]
- Don’t Wear Miniskirt To Yaba Market”- Nigerian Lady Cries Out [Read Why]
- Gov Abiodun hands Ogun State over to Christians – Islamic group blows hot
- State Department inspector general resigns after predecessor’s ouster
- Singer Dotman Debunks Having More Hit Songs Than Olamide
- NALDA Partners Abia To Boost Agriculture
- JUST IN: Edo House Of Assembly Complex Taken Over By Police
- US offers $10m for information on election intruders
- No plan to absorb repentant Boko Haram fighters into military – Presidency
- Police take over Edo Assembly complex (photos)
- Toyota expects 64% fall in annual net profit amid pandemic
- Nigerian Survivor Of Lebanon Explosion Calls For Help From Nigeria (Video)
- Singer Dotman Denies Having More Hit Songs Than Olamide
- Woman pretending to be blind is exposed and apprehended in Ebonyi state
- Facebook deletes Donald Trump’s post falsely claiming children are immune to Covid-19
- If Your Boyfriend Doesn’t Beat You, Then He Doesn’t Love You, I Can’t Date A Guy Who Doesn’t Beat Me’ – Nigerian Lady declares (Video)
- We will join Nnamdi Kanu to demand for the creation of Biafra if South-East doesn’t get the presidency in 2023- Former PDP chairman, Okwesilieze Nwodo
- Africa: Nearly 300,000 Active Covid-19 Cases Across Continent After 8.5 Million Tests
- BREAKING: Police take over Edo Assembly complex
- AY Comedian Weighs In As DSTV Moves NTA To Channel 419
- U.S. Warns Nigeria As Al-Qaeda Infiltrates North-West
- Minister of power, Sale Mamman confirms Nigeria attained a new record peak generation of 5,377.8MW of electricity
- Fans mock Frodd for being “broke” and not having a Benz
- Video: Olamide – Wonma!