From mid-March until early June, the jungle on West 28th Street was nowhere to be found.
Instead, the boxwoods and hydrangeas that once lined the sidewalks along Sixth Avenue were in storage, the latest victims of the coronavirus.
Like the restaurants, barber shops and tailors forced by New York’s health officials to shut their doors for several months, Ashok Kumar’s Tropical Plants & Orchids Inc. also had to close because of the pandemic.
When the shop was allowed to reopen its landscaping business in June, the first order Kumar received was from the United Nations, whose greenery he is in charge of refreshing every month. The UN’s campus had been without fresh flowers and plants for months and was looking to add splashes of color in this dark time.
Then came the lobbies of hotels and apartment buildings across town, all ready to brighten up again. Kumar was able to open for retail on June 10, but many of his regular clients have yet to return after fleeing New York.
“We have a lot of great customers, but they’re out of the city right now,” Kumar, who took over the shop from his father and uncle in 2003, told The Post. “They don’t want to come back, but they’re still in touch with us and they know we’re waiting for them.”
The span of the lockdown was particularly painful for flower shop owners because it coincided with the all-important graduation season, when clients would normally be ordering bouquets of table orchids for parties and renting giant palms for outdoor celebrations.
“I’d say around 30 to 40 percent of business in May and June is graduation parties,” Kumar said. “We didn’t get any this year.”
And while he’d normally supply flowers to fill party halls for at least 15 weddings each summer, Kumar said that this year he hasn’t done a single one.
The slowdown in business has left Kumar with a huge backlog of inventory. Orders for spring flowers and summer plants were placed in January — well before the pandemic was a concern for most Americans — when the shop was still expecting strong warm-weather business.
“Now our suppliers are calling us and saying, ‘Hey, you still have that order sitting here,’” Kumar said. “We might have ordered 200 plants in one nursery, but we’re telling them we only need 125 or 150.”
The plants that have already been shipped to the 28th Street store are being sold at a discount, with boxes of orchids that might normally cost $65 selling for $50.
“Hotels don’t have guests, so they’re not putting orchids in their rooms,” Kumar explained. “In a month that might be changing, but right now we’re not getting a lot of business.”
Rather than lay off employees, Kumar has shortened shifts to three or four days apiece so that everyone can get some work, and he has come to an agreement with his landlords where he pays 60 percent of rent each month.
But the coronavirus has also presented new opportunities. As New York has embraced outdoor dining as a way to allow restaurants to operate during the pandemic, restaurants have turned to shops like Kumar’s to make their outdoor spaces more appealing.
Tropical Plants & Orchids has decorated the outdoor seating areas of more than 40 restaurants already, including popular Upper East Side bistro Le Bilboquet and a number of spots in Little Italy.
“As long as the restaurants are open that is good news for us,” he said. “I want to see as many restaurants open as possible.”
Indeed, although he describes the past few months as the most difficult the shop has experienced since 9/11, Kumar said that there are signs of life.
“A lot of offices are opening back up,” he added. “A lot of good clients at law offices and doctors’ offices are calling me because they’re reopening and need flowers.”
The coronavirus and its airborne transmission has also seen Kumar get new business from customers with unusual requests.
“People come here asking for snake plants, they want something that can clean the air.”
Source: New York Post
- Lazy women keep multiple partners – Sex coachSex Coach, Dzifa Sweetness believes that women who keep multiple partners are lazy. – Advertisement – She didn’t mince words on e.TV Ghana’s ‘In Bed with Adwen’ when she made the ...[Read more]
- When will Season 7 of ‘The 100’ be on Netflix?The post-apocalyptic sci-fi series The 100 is coming to an end with its seventh season and will soon be wrapping up on The CW. We now have the global release schedule for The 100 season 7 including ...[Read more]
- Senate To Confirm 8 New Supreme Court Justices On Buhari’s RequestPresident Muhammadu Buhari has asked the Senate to approve the appointments of at least eight new Supreme Court Justices. This was contained in a letter read by the Senate President, Ahmad Lawan, ...[Read more]
- Laycon and vee gets emotional, Reason will shock youVee and Laycon finally meets for the first time after leaving the house. It was an emotional time for the duo as they hugged each other so passionately shouting their surname. Fans got so unhappy ...[Read more]
- Biden and Harris release tax returns hours before first presidential debateCLEVELAND — Democratic presidential nominee Joe Biden released his 2019 tax returns on Tuesday afternoon, just hours before his first debate with President Trump in Cleveland. “The American people ...[Read more]
- NeNe Leakes reads Wendy Williams and Andy Cohen for filthWith friends like these … NeNe Leakes isn’t done calling out former friend Wendy Williams and former boss Andy Cohen, as the “Real Housewives of Atlanta” star took to her Youtube channel to address ...[Read more]
- Twitter buzzes with goodwill messages in commemoration of Lumba’s 56th birthdayVeteran highlife musician Daddy Lumba is being celebrated by music enthusiasts as he chalks 56 years today. – Advertisement – Some fans of the legend have taken to social media platforms, ...[Read more]
- MLB playoffs 2020: The rules changes that will stay in effectWith the MLB playoffs under way Tuesday, here’s a look at the format and some of the rules changes that will stay in effect — and those that won’t: MLB playoffs 2020 rules changes Roster size The ...[Read more]
- Indians vs. Yankees prediction: Gerrit Cole will bring it in Game 1Four more years! Vote him out! Four more years! Vote him out! Debate night in Cleveland. OK boys, bump elbows and come out fightin’. Should be fun. Will President Trump stick to the facts? Will Joe ...[Read more]
- Salt Bae’s restaurant apologizes after coronavirus closureA lawyer for a Boston steakhouse opened by the chef and social media star known as Salt Bae apologized Tuesday after the restaurant was shut down for violating coronavirus safety rules. Dennis ...[Read more]
- Yankees WAGs hit the road together for MLB playoffsThe Yankees’ biggest fans appear to be on the move. Ahead of Game 1 of the AL’s wild-card round between the Yankees and Indians in Cleveland, the wives and girlfriends of Yankees players — including ...[Read more]
- Jigawa Govt To Reopen Schools Soon – Gov. BadaruThe Jigawa State Government on Tuesday said that it will announce details on schools’ reopening across the state on Monday, Oct. 5. The state Governor, Muhammad Badaru made this known while fielding ...[Read more]
- FG declares October 1 public holidayThe Federal Government has declared Thursday, October 1 as public holiday to mark the nation’s 60th Independence anniversary. Minister of Interior, Ogbeni Rauf Aregbesola made the announcement ...[Read more]
- Man stabs Queens straphanger with screwdriver during attempted robberyA brute pummeled a Queens straphanger and stabbed him with a screwdriver when he refused to hand over his wallet this week, cops said. A 42-year-old man was standing on the Manhattan-bound platform ...[Read more]
- Video game company sues Travis Scott for ripping off controller designA top gaming company is suing Travis Scott — alleging that the rapper was all thumbs when it came to knocking off its joysticks. Scott and his Cactus Jack label are being sued in federal court by ...[Read more]
- on BBNaija: See What Nengi Found Under Her Bed That Ozo Left For Her A very big love
- on “I Can’t Remember When I Had A S3kz With Any Man, So I Didn’t Know I Was Pregnant ” – 17-year-old Girl Whose Newborn Was Allegedly Buried Alive Claims The traditional healer in whose Hafsat spent months in his house shoul…
- on FG cries out, says IPOB bent on destroying Nigeria THE LASTING SOLUTION TO NIGERIA IS UNITED STATE OF BIAFRA PERIOD .BUHA…
- on IPOB warns of continuous killing of members by security operatives Well for me ipob is for freedom
- on FG cries out, says IPOB bent on destroying Nigeria Are You sleeping when kanu said he will destroy Nigeria with truth. If…
- on ‘I Feel Beautiful When I Do Braids’- Tiwa Savage Reveals As She Shows Off New Hairstyle (PHOTO) Timeless beauty ageless too she is always pretty
- on BBNaija: “Ozo’s Family Doesn’t Want Nengi”- See What His Sister Posted Online That Got People Talking What ozo sister did is wrong. Why would she say that forgetting that N…
- on Breaking!!! Kanu Promises to Drop Biafra Agitation on One Condition Rape: (Apart from people who rape with occuitic power with small girl…
- on #BBNaija: “I’m a big fan, this guy sweet die” – Mercy Eke gushes over Prince (Video) Med oooo🤨🤨🤨😁😁🤣🤣🤣🤣
- on Laycon Finally Makes Housemates Understand Why He Wears Sweater And Socks 24/7 And It’s Heartbreaking- See Reactions From Nigerians Aww sorry laycon