Most Reverend Ignatius Kaigama, a Catholic Archbishop, says the Church’s offer of its 425 health facilities to the Federal Government to support efforts to fight the COVID-19 pandemic is still valid.
Kaigama, the Archbishop of Abuja Catholic Archdiocese, said this while fielding questions from journalists at an Interactive Session with Media in Abuja.
The Archbishop said some representatives of Catholic Bishop Conference of Nigeria (CBCN), recently had an online meeting with the Vice President, Yemi Osinbajo, to get an update on the offer.
Mr Boss Mustapha, Chairman of Presidential Task Force on COVID-19, who is also the Secretary to the Government of the Federation (SGF), had in May announced CBCN’s offer at the Presidential Task Force on COVID-19 briefing.
The offer was a response to the Federal Government’s concern over the unavailability of adequate bed spaces to accommodate all COVID-19 patients in the country.
Kaigama told the journalists that the Bishops had a Zoom conference with Osinbajo four days ago, where they reminded the government that the offer was to minimise the problem of health care during this pandemic.
“We made it clear that they could equip the facilities, train our personnel so that they will be attentive to the need of people suffering from COVID-19.
“I want to say that the offer is still valid but I am not sure there is good use being made of our facilities that we have offered.
“They even identified a few facilities in Abuja, Kaduna and somewhere else, they said they were going to collaborate with us but so far, not much has happened,’’ he said.
Reacting to the state of education system, Kaigama suggested that a state of emergency be declared on the education sector.
“Certainly, that is what I am asking for. There has to be total overhauling of the educational system.
“We must give serious consideration to future of our young ones and we cannot emphasise any better that the government should consider education as fundamental to progress, to alleviating all social problems.
“Without good education that is holistic and that can shape the mind to be positive and to contribute selflessly to the good of society, we will have a wide population of young people who have no values.
“There should be drastic revolution and fundamental overhauling of the educational system in the country.’’
Similarly, the Archbishop called for reforms in anti-corruption agencies, especially EFCC and ICPC, to enable them perform optimally.
“We must find a way of addressing corruption; if these institutions are not serving Nigerians well, there should be a change if they are not fulfilling their mandate.
“The bodies should do their work with every objectivity and integrity. They should close their eyes and watch out for criminals in the society.
“They should follow anybody in respective of party, tribe or religion. If they are doing this, nobody will have any issue with the bodies.
“They need to be objective, sincere and they need to be God fearing; anyone employed to work in this organisations should fear God,’’ he said.
Answering questions on incessant killings in Southern Kaduna and if he would support Christian Association of Nigeria (CAN) position in self-defence, Kaigama said self-defence was in line with Catholic theology.
According to him, one who is attacked by an aggressor has a right to defend himself or herself.
“We are not supporting any killing but people could defend themselves if an aggressor to wants to kill the person.’’
He, however, said nothing would justify killing because it is against the command of God, expressing dissatisfaction over the high level of killing in the country.
“Killing human beings is criminal and it is a grievous sin. It is totally ungodly and it so sad the way we kill in this county, it does not portray the country in good light.
“I am sad that the killings have not stopped and I am not sure that enough is being done at all levels to bring these killings to a comprehensive stop,’’ the Archbishop said.
Kaigama, who recently celebrated his 39th anniversary as a Catholic Priest, said that his most memorable day on earth was the day he became a Catholic Priest.
“It is the highest moment in my life,’’ he said.
Source: Vanguard News
- I Face S e x u a l H a r a s s m e n t From The Women Than Men – Actress Ada Ebere Cries Out
- #BBNaija2020: “Old Womanamoeba” – Nengi Tells Lucy As The Both Fight Dirty (Watch Video)
- #BBNaija 2020: Here is how the Viewers voted in the Second Eviction
- 22-year-old girl plug out her eyes while high on drugs (Photos)
- BBNaija: I Am Not Sure If I Have Feelings For Erica – Kiddwaya Tells Ebuka
- “My last day in a rented apartment, God you turned my tears into laughter” – Iyabo Ojo writes as she moves into her new mansion in Lagos – Watch Video
- BBNaija: Eric reveals why he was voted out
- BBNaija 2020: Laycon should keep his distance, Kiddwaya is my special friend – Erica
- Gov. Fayemi Mourns Demise Of Ex-Ekiti lawmaker, Fakiyesi
- #BBNaija 2020: Eric and Tochi have been Evicted from Big Brother’s House
- BBNaija: I Asked Erica To Give Me Some Space So The Feelings Can Go Away – Laycon To Ebuka –
- Customs react to alleged shooting of NURTW member by personnel
- Beautiful Photos from the 30th birthday celebration of Jude Okoye’s wife
- BBNaija 2020: Eric & Tochi evicted from the show
- #BBNaija: Lucy and Nengi engage in shouting match in Big Brother house (video)
- BBNaija 2020: You will make worst mistake losing me – Ozo tells Dorathy
- ‘Yahoo’ boys have become role models, Diezani laments
- BBNaija 2020: ‘You like to be touched by different men’ – Lucy, Nengi in war of words
- Exposed!!! Secret Camera Caught A Tenant Banging His landlady Under Fan
- How rumoured Alaafin of Oyo’s Ex-Wife, Queen Ola would look as a new bride (VIDEOS/PHOTOS)
- Impeach Godwin Obaseki, Karimi Urges Edo Assembly
- Tochi And Eric Gets Evicted From Big Brother Naija 2020
- “I don’t have feelings for Erica yet” – Kiddwaya tells Ebuka
- Governor Obiano Appoint 28 year old Eze Chianumba as Executive Assistant
- Snake becomes straphanger, slithers onto unidentified MTA platform
- BBNaija 2020: ‘I am disappointed’ – Tochi says after eviction
- #BBNaija 2020: “I have decided to give Laycon his space” – Erica
- Trump offers to help Beirut investigate blast, calls for calm amid protests
- BBNaija: Their Wedding Will Hold This Week Saturday – Nigerians Reacts To Eric’s Eviction From The Show
- RevolutionNow: DSS releases Bakare, 3 others detained protesters in Osun
- Pastor Impregnates Two Underage Sisters, Scam Their Mom Of N2million In Ogun State
- FAAN Worker C r u s h e d To Death By A Fallen Container, Chidinma Ajoku, Finally Laid To Rest In Ikoyi Cemetery, Lagos
- African tech startups raise $1.4b in five years
- Nigerian stocks strike N1tr deals in first half
- Trump offers helping hand to Lebanon, calls for calm
- US alleges Chinese state interference in upcoming presidential election
- Ishaku sacks media aide hours after daughter’s wedding
- Gunmen kill Obiano’s aide on security
- #BBNaija: Eric and Tochi evicted from Big Brother House
- #BBNaija2020: Why I Didn’t Pursue My Feelings For Nengi – Ex Housemate, Tochi
Nigerians reacts to the effect of Covid-19 lockdown
- ZLP clears Ondo deputy gov as a candidate
- Fire rips through Rachael Ray’s home in upstate New York
- Osimhen: Ngerem urges MOS, NFF to support elite athletes
- President Buhari Mourns As Prominent UK-Based Nigerian Dies
- Ighalo makes Man Utd against Copenhagen
- COVID-19: NCDC confirms 437 new cases, total now 46,577
- Nigeria: Nigeria Begins Reforms of International Investment Agreements
- Nigeria: Buhari Approves Judicial Panel of Enquiry Over Allegations Against Magu
- Nigeria: 60 Dead On Imo Payroll, Audit Shows
- Nigeria: Edo 2020 – Okunbo Urge Politicians to Take a Cue From Ex President Jonathan
- College football 2020 fall season in danger of being cancelled
- New Jersey police shut down ‘pop-up’ house party with 300 attendees
- Nets clinch 7th seed with impressive win over Clippers
- #RevolutionNow: DSS releases Bakare, three other protesters in Osun
- Community policing: FCT minister advocates involvement of council chairmen, traditional rulers
- 3-year-girl among victims killed in Beirut blast
- Unknown assailants kill Gov Obiano’s aide on security
- Sioux Nation will block bikers headed to Sturgis rally, citing coronavirus concerns
- SUNU Assurances posts N1.2b profit
- Sanwo-Olu issues seven-day ultimatum to hospital’s management to remove containers
- Ekiti doctors accuse government of paying lip service to healthcare, welfare
- Could new Champions League format lead to new name on trophy despite virus worry?
- North East governors want FG to equip police for anti-terrorism war
- Lyon lift Women’s French Cup as Champions League warm-up
- Why I declined joining APC after talks, by Ortom
- Tiger Woods accepting mediocrity at PGA Championship doesn’t feel right
- Police dismiss inspector for allegedly brutalising tailor, causing death in Osun
- Accident claims two lives in Anambra – FRSC
- Hope rises for annuity business
- Hong Kong media tycoon Jimmy Lai arrested under new Chinese security law