As Lagos Chief Imam seeks fervent prayers for Nigeria
By Olasunkanmi Akoni
In what could have turned into Sallah tragedy, as Muslims in Lagos joined the rest of the world to celebrate 2020 Eid-el- Kabir, Lagos State Governor, Mr. Babajide Sanwo-Olu has narrated how he intercepted and saved a man who was about to plunge into the lagoon from Third Mainland Bridge over N500,000 debt.
Meanwhile, the State Chief Imam of Lagos, Sheikh Sulaimon Abou-Nolla speaking after the symbolic Eid-el Kabir, prayers held at the Lagos Central Mosque, called on Nigerians, especially Muslims to pray to God and the coronavirus pandemic ravaging the world.
Sanwo-Olu, along with his wife, Ibijoke, had on Friday during a visit to the Lagos Island Maternity Hospital, Broad Street and some other hospitals in different parts of the State, to celebrate Eid-el-Kabir with in-patients and health practitioners urged Nigerians to “calm down,” in the face of several challenges.
Speaking to newsmen during the visit and commenting on a recent viral video of a boy begging his mother to calm down while punishing him for an offense he committed, Governor Sanwo-Olu said he believes strongly in paying attention and creating time to little things because there might be somebody somewhere who needs help.
He said: “You look at big things but you need to certainly create time for little things as well. That is the difference. You know, you are going to build a bridge and it is nice but you have somebody who is just somewhere who needs help.
“Just this morning (Friday), we rescued somebody who was planning to jump at the Third Mainland Bridge all because he said he has a debt of N500,000. We had to rescue him and we paid the debt. Those little details are what make the difference.
“I don’t have two heads, I don’t have 15 fingers. We are still the same human beings. So, we need to show the human part of us while we are not losing sight of the big picture.
“The big picture is that we want to build roads, bridges, and new schools. But we also need to pay attention to the little one like the young boy on that video. By the way, I have spoken to him and his mother. They are doing great and I will see him one of these days very soon.”
The Governor and his wife while at the various hospitals chatted with the patients and the medical personnel, cheering them up, encouraging them, and also prayed for their recovery.
Speaking to newsmen, Sanwo-Olu said his unscheduled visit to the hospital was to share Eid-el-Kabir moments with those in the hospital at a time when every other person is in a joyous mood at home.
“It is really about the season. So, if you reflect, Eid-el-Kabir is about the season of love. It is about the season of remembering one another. So people are remembering Prophet Ibrahim; he slaughtered ram, which showed it is a season of giving.
“There are people on two sides, the medical officers on the frontline that are meant to be at work but more importantly are patients who for one reason or the other, cannot be with their loved ones,” he said.
Justifying his decision to pay the unscheduled visit, Sanwo-Olu said: “I felt that this is the best place to come and show love; not just to see them but to encourage them and to give them little support from myself and my government.
“Coming here, we would also see things around ourselves. It is an unscheduled visit. So, we didn’t prompt anything. I saw them in their natural habit. You can see so many doctors and nurses are on duty and patients are also happy.
“We have also seen several patients; mothers that gave birth overnight to fresh newborn babies. So, it is just a season to come and thank God for them and their lives and for their families who are not here. For me, that is the most important thing.
“We all have to stay calm. It is a period we all need to understand that we need to stay calm and know that the government cares. We might not be ‘A Star’ but we have a good conscience. We have a good heart to do something good for almost everybody. I just want my citizens to see that if we have more resources, we will do a lot for them. This is just a simple way of saying thank you to everyone.”
Abou-Nolla at the Eid prayers urged Nigerians to continue to pray to God Almighty for protection and to heal the land of the pandemic.
The Chief Imam, said: “Compliance with the directives of the state government and other relevant agencies is the best strategy to prevent the spread of the deadly virus.
“We equally enjoin all Muslims, that this is the time for us to pray to Allah, for Allah to help us resolve this COVID-19, for Allah to heal our land and for Allah to protect us.
“Those that we have lost during this period too, we pray Allah to forgive their sins, we pray Allah to accept them as part of people of Jannah.
“We equally advise all Muslims that we need to follow the guidelines. It is important for us as Muslims, in which Allah commanded us that we need to follow Allah, follow the prophet, and follow those in authority.
“Whatever guidelines they give to us in respect of handwashing, social distancing, sanitising our hands, we need to follow the guidelines.
“We need to be disciplined as people, that what can guide us as a nation, we need to be able to sacrifice, then sacrifice for the nation. There is no success without sacrifice, so we need to sacrifice for our nation.”
Abou-Nolla also charged Muslim faithful to emulate Prophet Ibrahim by fulfilling their promises and be faithful to God Almighty.
He added: “We need to give thanks to Allah for saving us especially in this mist of this pandemic, that is the COVID-19 virus, which is ravaging all over the world. We thank Allah for sparing our lives.”
The cleric also prayed for the leaders in the state, especially the state governor, Mr. Babajide Sanwo-Olu, Deputy, Dr. Femi Hamzat, and his entire cabinet who had been at the forefront of the pandemic, to continue to guide and protect them.
Abou Nolla, however, appealed to residents to continue to comply with the stipulated guidelines, along with other standard hygienic practices such as regular hand washing and sanitizing, which would greatly help to curtail the spread of the virus.
Source: Vanguard News
- I Face S e x u a l H a r a s s m e n t From The Women Than Men – Actress Ada Ebere Cries Out
- #BBNaija2020: “Old Womanamoeba” – Nengi Tells Lucy As The Both Fight Dirty (Watch Video)
- #BBNaija 2020: Here is how the Viewers voted in the Second Eviction
- 22-year-old girl plug out her eyes while high on drugs (Photos)
- Gov. Fayemi Mourns Demise Of Ex-Ekiti lawmaker, Fakiyesi
- BBNaija: I Am Not Sure If I Have Feelings For Erica – Kiddwaya Tells Ebuka
- “My last day in a rented apartment, God you turned my tears into laughter” – Iyabo Ojo writes as she moves into her new mansion in Lagos – Watch Video
- BBNaija: Eric reveals why he was voted out
- BBNaija 2020: Laycon should keep his distance, Kiddwaya is my special friend – Erica
- #BBNaija 2020: Eric and Tochi have been Evicted from Big Brother’s House
- BBNaija: I Asked Erica To Give Me Some Space So The Feelings Can Go Away – Laycon To Ebuka –
- BBNaija 2020: Eric & Tochi evicted from the show
- #BBNaija: Lucy and Nengi engage in shouting match in Big Brother house (video)
- BBNaija 2020: You will make worst mistake losing me – Ozo tells Dorathy
- Governor Obiano Appoint 28 year old Eze Chianumba as Executive Assistant
- ‘Yahoo’ boys have become role models, Diezani laments
- BBNaija 2020: ‘You like to be touched by different men’ – Lucy, Nengi in war of words
- Impeach Godwin Obaseki, Karimi Urges Edo Assembly
- Exposed!!! Secret Camera Caught A Tenant Banging His landlady Under Fan
- BBNaija 2020: ‘I am disappointed’ – Tochi says after eviction
- How rumoured Alaafin of Oyo’s Ex-Wife, Queen Ola would look as a new bride (VIDEOS/PHOTOS)
- Tochi And Eric Gets Evicted From Big Brother Naija 2020
- “I don’t have feelings for Erica yet” – Kiddwaya tells Ebuka
- Snake becomes straphanger, slithers onto unidentified MTA platform
- #BBNaija 2020: “I have decided to give Laycon his space” – Erica
- Trump offers to help Beirut investigate blast, calls for calm amid protests
- BBNaija 2020: I will beat up anyone who embarrasses me on national TV – Kiddwaya
- BBNaija: Their Wedding Will Hold This Week Saturday – Nigerians Reacts To Eric’s Eviction From The Show
- RevolutionNow: DSS releases Bakare, 3 others detained protesters in Osun
- Pastor Impregnates Two Underage Sisters, Scam Their Mom Of N2million In Ogun State
- FAAN Worker C r u s h e d To Death By A Fallen Container, Chidinma Ajoku, Finally Laid To Rest In Ikoyi Cemetery, Lagos
- #BBNaija2020: Why I Didn’t Pursue My Feelings For Nengi – Ex Housemate, Tochi
- African tech startups raise $1.4b in five years
- Nigerian stocks strike N1tr deals in first half
- Trump offers helping hand to Lebanon, calls for calm
- US alleges Chinese state interference in upcoming presidential election
- Ishaku sacks media aide hours after daughter’s wedding
- Gunmen kill Obiano’s aide on security
- #BBNaija: Eric and Tochi evicted from Big Brother House
- Is de Blasio really going to bail out a donor again — at city expense?
Nigerians reacts to the effect of Covid-19 lockdown
- BBNaija 2020: How housemates voted out Eric, Tochi, saved Kaisha, Trickytee
- Graft allegations: Malami writes Buhari, says he’s not corrupt, lists income sources
- Yankees quick to defend Gary Sanchez over dooming wild pitch
- Yahoo boys are now role models in Nigeria – Diezani Madueke [VIDEO]
- Many feared dead as bandits attack Kurfi in Katsina
- EDO 2020: APC, PDP bicker over do-or-die antics
- Man Utd vs Copenhagen: Solskjaer names squad for Europa League clash
- NDDC’s Pondei petitions IGP, seeks probe of contract awards
- Man Utd vs Copenhagen: I must make difficult decision about goalkeepers – Solskjaer
- Governor Obiano’s SSA On Security Murdered
- Malaysia’s ex-finance minister charged again in graft case
- Bryson DeChambeau feels closer to first major win after strong PGA Championship
- US tops 5 million confirmed coronavirus cases, to Europe’s alarm
- ZLP clears Ondo deputy gov as a candidate
- Eleven from one family drown in flash flood in Panama
- French aid workers among eight killed by gunmen in Niger
- UEFA Champions League fixtures
- Fire rips through Rachael Ray’s home in upstate New York
- Osimhen: Ngerem urges MOS, NFF to support elite athletes
- President Buhari Mourns As Prominent UK-Based Nigerian Dies
- Ighalo makes Man Utd against Copenhagen
- COVID-19: NCDC confirms 437 new cases, total now 46,577
- Nigeria: Nigeria Begins Reforms of International Investment Agreements
- Nigeria: Buhari Approves Judicial Panel of Enquiry Over Allegations Against Magu
- Nigeria: 60 Dead On Imo Payroll, Audit Shows
- Nigeria: Edo 2020 – Okunbo Urge Politicians to Take a Cue From Ex President Jonathan
- ‘World pledges 250 million euros for Lebanon’s people’
- Renewed Lebanon protests as pressure mounts on government
- David and Goliath: China and Taiwan’s military mismatch
- College football 2020 fall season in danger of being cancelled