By Avril Eyewu-Edero
Forensics is simply put as the application of scientific procedures to matters of law. So, rather than just listening to testimonies, which are great, science can explain to the court issues like who committed a crime (DNA, Fingerprint), when the crime was committed (Determine time of death through forensic entomology), what happened (crime scene reconstruction), where a crime occurred (Primary and secondary crime scene), why a crime occurred (Forensic psychology) and how it occurred (Autopsy, ballistics analysis).
Around the world, forensic science has become a major tool to make the criminal prosecution process easier. Countries have well equipped laboratories, trained scientists and scene of crime officers and trainings that have made the criminal justice system better.
So why forensics?
Forensic science covers various applications with the aim to recognize, identify and evaluate physical evidence. Forensic fields include, DNA Analysis, Fingerprint analysis, Tyre mark analysis, Forensic Anthropology, Forensic Psychology and so much more, literally, every aspect of life could have a forensic element if a crime, incident or accident takes place.
Forensic science helps to solve crimes such as homicide, theft, sexual crimes and so much more. For example, in a murder scene in a home, the forensic process would include an autopsy to determine the cause of death, death mechanism and time of death.
Bullets recovered could be tested in hopes that the weapon would be found and matched to the source, fingerprints from the scene can help to positively identify the perpetrator, Blood and other biological evidence could be tested for DNA to develop a profile of the perpetrator, which can be matched to them when they are caught.
In the court, forensic science provides additional evidence to corroborate facts about an incident. It helps to exonerate the innocent and convict the guilt. This is dependent on the forensic expert’s ability to explain the science to the court.
In Nigeria, the use of forensic science is still very limited but could make a lot of difference if welcomed and applied as part of the criminal justice system. It would be easier to investigate homicide, theft, fire, frauds and digital crimes which are prevalent in this clime. It would also help to curb the culture of people getting away with crime that we have become used to.
Some of the steps to get forensic science working is, first incorporating it into the law, awareness training for the law enforcement agencies and the judiciary, before setting up laboratories and training facilities which include proper accreditations and practice process. This won’t happen overnight but with commitment and a clear foresight this could happen.
Crime would not stop, but with a thorough investigation process which forensic science can aid, the prosecution process could be easier. This is possible in Nigeria and it will be helpful in the long run.
Source: Vanguard News
- I Face S e x u a l H a r a s s m e n t From The Women Than Men – Actress Ada Ebere Cries Out
- #BBNaija2020: “Old Womanamoeba” – Nengi Tells Lucy As The Both Fight Dirty (Watch Video)
- #BBNaija 2020: Here is how the Viewers voted in the Second Eviction
- 22-year-old girl plug out her eyes while high on drugs (Photos)
- Gov. Fayemi Mourns Demise Of Ex-Ekiti lawmaker, Fakiyesi
- BBNaija: I Am Not Sure If I Have Feelings For Erica – Kiddwaya Tells Ebuka
- “My last day in a rented apartment, God you turned my tears into laughter” – Iyabo Ojo writes as she moves into her new mansion in Lagos – Watch Video
- BBNaija: Eric reveals why he was voted out
- BBNaija 2020: Laycon should keep his distance, Kiddwaya is my special friend – Erica
- #BBNaija 2020: Eric and Tochi have been Evicted from Big Brother’s House
- BBNaija: I Asked Erica To Give Me Some Space So The Feelings Can Go Away – Laycon To Ebuka –
- Beautiful Photos from the 30th birthday celebration of Jude Okoye’s wife
- BBNaija 2020: Eric & Tochi evicted from the show
- #BBNaija: Lucy and Nengi engage in shouting match in Big Brother house (video)
- BBNaija 2020: You will make worst mistake losing me – Ozo tells Dorathy
- Governor Obiano Appoint 28 year old Eze Chianumba as Executive Assistant
- ‘Yahoo’ boys have become role models, Diezani laments
- BBNaija 2020: ‘You like to be touched by different men’ – Lucy, Nengi in war of words
- Impeach Godwin Obaseki, Karimi Urges Edo Assembly
- Exposed!!! Secret Camera Caught A Tenant Banging His landlady Under Fan
- BBNaija 2020: ‘I am disappointed’ – Tochi says after eviction
- How rumoured Alaafin of Oyo’s Ex-Wife, Queen Ola would look as a new bride (VIDEOS/PHOTOS)
- Tochi And Eric Gets Evicted From Big Brother Naija 2020
- “I don’t have feelings for Erica yet” – Kiddwaya tells Ebuka
- Snake becomes straphanger, slithers onto unidentified MTA platform
- #BBNaija 2020: “I have decided to give Laycon his space” – Erica
- Trump offers to help Beirut investigate blast, calls for calm amid protests
- BBNaija 2020: I will beat up anyone who embarrasses me on national TV – Kiddwaya
- BBNaija: Their Wedding Will Hold This Week Saturday – Nigerians Reacts To Eric’s Eviction From The Show
- RevolutionNow: DSS releases Bakare, 3 others detained protesters in Osun
- Pastor Impregnates Two Underage Sisters, Scam Their Mom Of N2million In Ogun State
- FAAN Worker C r u s h e d To Death By A Fallen Container, Chidinma Ajoku, Finally Laid To Rest In Ikoyi Cemetery, Lagos
- #BBNaija2020: Why I Didn’t Pursue My Feelings For Nengi – Ex Housemate, Tochi
- African tech startups raise $1.4b in five years
- Nigerian stocks strike N1tr deals in first half
- Trump offers helping hand to Lebanon, calls for calm
- US alleges Chinese state interference in upcoming presidential election
- Ishaku sacks media aide hours after daughter’s wedding
- Gunmen kill Obiano’s aide on security
- #BBNaija: Eric and Tochi evicted from Big Brother House
Nigerians reacts to the effect of Covid-19 lockdown
- BBNaija 2020: How housemates voted out Eric, Tochi, saved Kaisha, Trickytee
- Yahoo boys are now role models in Nigeria – Diezani Madueke [VIDEO]
- Many feared dead as bandits attack Kurfi in Katsina
- Man Utd vs Copenhagen: Solskjaer names squad for Europa League clash
- NDDC’s Pondei petitions IGP, seeks probe of contract awards
- Man Utd vs Copenhagen: I must make difficult decision about goalkeepers – Solskjaer
- Governor Obiano’s SSA On Security Murdered
- Malaysia’s ex-finance minister charged again in graft case
- Bryson DeChambeau feels closer to first major win after strong PGA Championship
- US tops 5 million confirmed coronavirus cases, to Europe’s alarm
- ZLP clears Ondo deputy gov as a candidate
- Fire rips through Rachael Ray’s home in upstate New York
- Osimhen: Ngerem urges MOS, NFF to support elite athletes
- President Buhari Mourns As Prominent UK-Based Nigerian Dies
- Ighalo makes Man Utd against Copenhagen
- COVID-19: NCDC confirms 437 new cases, total now 46,577
- Nigeria: Nigeria Begins Reforms of International Investment Agreements
- Nigeria: Buhari Approves Judicial Panel of Enquiry Over Allegations Against Magu
- Nigeria: 60 Dead On Imo Payroll, Audit Shows
- Nigeria: Edo 2020 – Okunbo Urge Politicians to Take a Cue From Ex President Jonathan
- ‘World pledges 250 million euros for Lebanon’s people’
- Renewed Lebanon protests as pressure mounts on government
- David and Goliath: China and Taiwan’s military mismatch
- College football 2020 fall season in danger of being cancelled
- New Jersey police shut down ‘pop-up’ house party with 300 attendees
- Nets clinch 7th seed with impressive win over Clippers
- #RevolutionNow: DSS releases Bakare, three other protesters in Osun
- Community policing: FCT minister advocates involvement of council chairmen, traditional rulers
- 3-year-girl among victims killed in Beirut blast
- Unknown assailants kill Gov Obiano’s aide on security