Minister of Transportation, Rotimi Amaechi says Nigerian government has the capability to pay back loans collected for the construction of rail projects within the stipulated period of 20 years.
Amaechi, in a statement on Saturday, said China was the only country giving out loans with a low interest rate of 2.8 per cent.
He said no country in the world would give out a loan without a guarantee to pay back such loans.
“The trade agreement between Nigeria and China, the ministry of transportation does not take loan, everything about loan is directed to the Ministry of Finance, so, I couldn’t have signed any loan because I don’t take loan.
“What I signed is what is called commercial contract, which is contract between the Federal Government and CCECC as a contractor, the contract between Nigeria and China is usually signed by the ministry of finance.
“Whether is the ministry of finance that signed it or the ministry of transportation, the issue is that nobody will give you loan free of charge.
“There must be an agreement and such agreement must contain some terms, that doesn’t mean that you are signing away the sovereignty of the country, no country will sign out its sovereignty.
“What clause 8 says is, I expect you to pay according to those terms we have agreed, if you don’t pay, don’t throw your immunity on me when I come to collect back the guarantee that was put forward, that is all.
“We are paying the loans. In the same National Assembly sitting, they were told that of the 500million dollars loan, we have paid 96 million dollars already, Nigeria is already paying.
“And the 500 million dollars was not taken by us, it was taken by President Goodluck Jonathan in his term and that clause was there.
“Nigeria has the capacity to pay back for the period of 20 years at 2.8 per cent, which country will give you that loan? Secondly, these loans are not given to us, they are paid directly to the contractors.
“Once they sign that the job has been done, they pay the contractors and that has never happened before and this project are in place. Are they trying to rubbish the fact that there is a railway from Abuja-Kaduna?
“There is no loan in Nigeria, either internal or external that is not approved by the National Assembly, none.
“Chinese government will not even give you a loan without an approval by the National Assembly because if they give you a loan without the approval from NASS that is no loan,” Amaechi explained.
The minister further said the government needed the loans to boost infrastructure in the country.
According to him, the sovereign guarantee and sovereign immunity clause raised by the NASS is a term used to ensure that loans collected are paid back.
The minister said in the case of a default, only the assets constructed with such a loan would be taken back.
He said: “What you do is you give a sovereign guarantee and that guarantee is the immunity clause they are talking about.
“When we say, I give you a sovereign guarantee and we get immunity clause, the immunity clause is that, if tomorrow I am not able to pay and you come to collect the items we have agreed upon, that these are the items that am putting down as guarantee, I can waive my immunity and say no you can’t touch it am sovereign country.
“So, they are saying, if you are not able to pay, don’t stop us from taking back those items that will make us recover our funds. So, is China our father that will give us money for free?
“It is a standard clause in every agreement whether is America we signed it with, whether is Britain, any country would want to know that they can recover their money.
“Anybody that is saying he doesn’t know what a sovereign guarantee or immunity is, too bad for the person, because it simply means in trade that I am not giving you this loan free of charge.
“Just like you go to the bank to collect a loan, the moment you don’t pay they go after your assets you put down, that is all about the clause, the Chinese can never come and take over Aso rock and become President or Minister.
” And if the assets you put down become depreciated then you negotiate which assets they can go after. Chinese will never take over what was not constructed with the loan.”
Amaechi noted that it would be unconstitutional to take a loan not approved by the NASS, but for confidentiality in government he would have published the clauses generating the dusts.
The minister while asking the reason for the investigation by the NASS added that they were aware of all the loans.
He said:” The Chinese is just asking us to show them the evidence that we will pay back, which is the immunity clause. If we don’t pay, they can take back their assets.”
On the Zambia experience, where the country could not meet up with its loan agreement, the minister said that the Chinese government will never take over infrastructure that was not constructed from the money taken.
He also acknowledged that the finance ministry in a payment plan had started paying back some of the loans collected.
He said the payment plan was the responsibility of the ministry of finance, and the Ministry of transportation was supposed to implement the contract.
“They are meeting the requirements, at any point in time that we need to pay, we’ll pay. 1.6 billion dollars was taken to fix Lagos to Ibadan, we are asking for 5.3 billion dollars to fix from Ibadan to Kano.
“3.2 billion dollars to fix Port Harcourt to Maiduguri, then Lagos to Calabar which is about 11.1billion dollars, if those things were done when we had money, the infrastructure will be here today? The answer is no,” Amaechi added.
The minister, however, called on the National Assembly and Nigerians to appreciate government effort in providing infrastructure in the country.
Amaechi noted that the Itakpe /Warri rail project in the South South, which was abandoned for thirty four years by successive governments was fully rehabilitated by the present administration without seeking for loan.
Source: Vanguard News
Nigerians reacts to the effect of Covid-19 lockdown
- #BBNaija2020: I Saw Sp3rm Stain In The House – Nengi Says
- EPL: Real Madrid left-back, Reguilon chooses Chelsea
- Father Impregnates Daughter; Both Of Them S h a v e d And Publicly Disgraced (Video)
- Dortmund Board Announce Update On Jadon Sancho’s Move To Manchester United
- EPL: Arteta chooses between Willian, Coutinho
- Arsenal plan to make 55 staff redundant
- EPL: Paul Scholes names player Manchester United should sign instead of Sancho
- Boko Haram supplier arrested in Borno
- Most of all this Loans was taken by Goodluck Jonathan – Amaechi Claims
- Dortmund issues update on Jadon Sancho’s move to Man Utd
- EPL: Solskjaer confirms Alexis Sanchez deal
- Nigerian govt reacts to video of stranded Nigerian ladies in Saudi Arabia
- Gov Abiodun hands Ogun State over to Christians – Islamic group blows hot
- Dorathy Willingly Allowed Ozo To Press Her Big Breasts (VIDEO)
- Soldier Arrested For Criticising Tukur Buratai Feared Dead As Chief Of Army Staff Allegedly Attempts Cover Up
- BBNaija: Nigerians M0ck Cameroonians After Photos Of Their Version Of Big Brother Show Surfaced Online
- #BBNaija2020: ”Shut Your Mouth” Ozo Clashes With Fellow Housemate, Prince (Watch Video)
- Don’t Wear Miniskirt To Yaba Market”- Nigerian Lady Cries Out [Read Why]
- I was tempted to touch, says pastor accused of raping fellow pastor’s daughter
- BREAKING: Police take over Edo House of Assembly (PHOTOS)
- “I Know I’m The One Coming Between You And Erica” – Nengi Tells Kiddwaya (Watch Video)
- BBNaija 2020: Erica breaks up with Kiddwaya
- Moment Kiddwaya Got Jealous As Neo Hugged Erica (Watch Video)
- Europa League: All the teams that have qualified for quarter-finals so far
- Gov Dapo Abiodun Has Sold Ogun State To Christians – MURIC
- Edo: Obaseki loses another appointee as SSA resigns, joins Ize-Iyamu
- JUST IN: Edo House Of Assembly Complex Taken Over By Police
- I Saw Sperm Stain In The House – Nengi Reveals
- ‘Man Utd is in my blood’ – Jesse Lingard reacts to Europa League victory
- ‘Nigeria will break if North refuses South presidency in 2023’
- #BBNaija2020: “I Didn’t Plan Making Out With You But I Enjoyed It” – Erica Tells Kiddwaya (Watch Video)
- BBNaija: I Find It Very Irritating & Disrespectful When Kiddwaya Kisses Erica In My Front – Laycon
- Netflix star, Daisy Coleman dies at 23
- BBNaija: Kaisha tells Laycon why he failed to have Erica as girlfriend
- Fire engulfs popular Ajman Market in UAE, destroys goods worth millions
- I Want To Remove My Womb – Toyin Lawani Reveals After Suffering From Fibroid For 15 Years
- BBNaija 2020: I may be evicted on Sunday – Wathoni
- #BBNaija2020: Nengi, Kidwwaya, Dorathy And Team B Housemates Wins N2 Million
- NALDA Partners Abia To Boost Agriculture
- BBNaija 2020: Make your relationship with Nengi open, you’re causing tension here – Wathoni tells Prince [VIDEO]
- President Buhari Gives Abdulmumin Jibrin Federal Appointment
- Jos Trader Jailed For Two Years For Motorcycle Theft
- At least one American killed, several injured in Beirut blast
- 35-year-old allegedly rapes 11-year-old girl
- Turkey To Assist Turkic countries With Some Medical Aid
- How Lampard tried to block Willian’s move to Arsenal
- The 25 Scariest Horror Movies on Netflix Now: Can You Handle Them?
- Checkout Funny Old photos of all #BBNaija housemates (PICS)
- WAEC denies fire outbreak at headquarters
- #BBNaija: I saw sperm stain in the house – Nengi reveals
- Pence blasts Chief Justice Roberts as ‘disappointment to conservatives’
- COVID-19: Nintendo reports bumper $1bn net profit in first quarter
- No fire outbreak in WAEC headquarters, Abuja ― Spokesperson
- No fire outbreak in WAEC headquarters, Abuja — Spokesperson
- We’re poised to upscale Nigeria’s health campaigns — Salako
- Oshiomhole behind attempt to impeach Obaseki – Adeyanju alleges
- ‘No contact’ from Man United over Sancho say Dortmund
- #Lebanon: Injured Nigerian survivor of Beirut Explosion begs for help from Nigerians (video)
- My husband is lazy, he demands money from me, woman tells court
- Bella Hadid gives middle finger to NYPD cops for not wearing masks
- School resumption: 95% of private schools in Kaduna ready ― Association
- Al Qaida ‘making inroads’ in north-west Nigeria – US General
- LeBron brushes off Trump blast: ‘We could care less’
- Singer Justin Bieber and his wife Hailey Baldwin get baptized (Photos)
- NDDC: group dismisses NASS’s probe as ‘mere ruse’
- Arsenal players set for showdown with club after 55 staff are sacked
- “Good night Maami, abiyamo tooto, Iya adura” – Toyin Adegbola (Toyin Tomato) shares pictures and video from the Burial of her late mum
- 21-year-old man arrested for allegedly sodomizing underaged boys in Anambra
- “#RevolutionNow protest is irritating” – Femi Adesina says
- Facebook, Twitter take aim at Trump ‘misinformation’