Minister of Transportation, Rotimi Amaechi, has said he is ashamed that some people can’t understand that the clause ‘waiving sovereignty’ in the loan agreement between Nigeria and China is only a contract term, a sovereign guarantee that assures payback according to the terms and conditions of any loan.
Amaechi made the clarification while answering questions about the loan controversy on a TV programme, weekend.
He also explained that the Ministry of Transportation is not responsible for taking loans, but to implement the project or contract for which the loans were taken.
According to him, “it is a commercial agreement; a trade agreement between Nigeria and China. The first issue is that the Ministry of Transport does not take loan. Anything about loan, talk to Ministry of Finance.
“What I signed is what they call commercial contract; that is contract between the Federal Government and CCECC as a contractor.
“The contract between Nigeria and China is usually signed by the ministry of finance on behalf of Nigeria, but that will be escaping the issue.
“Whether it is the Ministry of Finance that signed it or the Ministry of Transport, the issues are the issues.
“There is no contract without an agreement and that agreement must contain some terms and one of the terms that this one contains is not that you’re signing away the sovereignty of the country.
“No country will sign away its sovereignty. What you do is, you give a sovereign guarantee; and I’m ashamed of those who interpret it the wrong way.
“Now, when you say ‘I give you a sovereign guarantee and I waive that immunity clause’, the immunity clause is that if tomorrow I’m not able to pay you and you come to collect the items that we’ve agreed upon (that these are items I have put down as guarantee), I can use my immunity and say no, you cannot touch our assets, we are a sovereign country.
“Is China our father that will give us money for free? They (the Chinese) are saying, if you are not able to pay, don’t stop us from taking back those items that will help us recover our funds.
“And it’s a standard clause, whether it’s with America you signed it or with Britain or any country, because they want to know they can recover their money.
“What the clause does is to say to you, I expect you to pay according to those terms and conditions. If you don’t pay, don’t throw your immunity on me (the lender) when I come to collect back the guarantee you put forward, that’s all.
“The waiving of immunity simply means in trade parlance that I’m not giving you this loan free.
“Just like if you go to take a loan from the bank, the moment you don’t pay, they go after the assets you put down. And people are politicising it. The Chinese can never come and take over Aso rock and become President or Minister.
“In the event of a default, Amaechi stated that the lender can only go after, and take back the same assets built with the loaned funds.
“And if the assets you put down become depreciated, then you negotiate which assets they can go after. The Chinese will never take over what was not constructed with the loan.”
Zambia’s fate fear
Allaying the fear of some Nigerians asking if it’s possible to repay the loan and not get into the same situation as Zambia, Amaechi stated that the loan was already being repaid.
“But we’re paying,” he said. “In the same National Assembly committee sitting, they were told that out of the 500 million dollars, we’ve paid 96 million dollars already.
“Nigeria is already paying. So, it’s not that Nigeria doesn’t have the capacity to pay back. We’ll pay back. At 2.8 percent, what other country would give you that loan? 2.8 per cent for 20 years with seven years moratorium; why can’t you pay back?
“The repayment plan is not done by us, it’s done by the ministry of finance, but they are meeting the requirements. At any point in time that we need to pay, we pay.”
The Minister further explained that the loans are not paid to him nor the Ministry, which automatically eliminates any fear of corruption or diversion of funds. They are paid directly to the contractor in China.
Amaechi also reiterated his call to the National Assembly to put a hold on the probe as some loans are still being expected for the completion of Lagos to Ibadan and the construction of Ibadan to Kano and Port Harcourt to Maiduguri rail
Source: Vanguard News
Eyewitness? Submit your stories now via Email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Nigerians reacts to the effect of Covid-19 lockdown
- This 32-year-old who Has Both Male And Female S 3 x 0 r g a n s Cries Out, Here Is What Happened To Him (Video)
- BBNaija: Erica Breaks Up With Kiddwaya, Few Days After Having Fun With Him
- #BBNaija 2020: Kidd Waya, Erica, Brighto, Nengi, Dorathy & More win Dulux Design Challenge; get N2million
- EPL: Real Madrid left-back, Reguilon chooses Chelsea
- I Will Remove My W0mb Soon – Popular Fashion Stylist, Toyin Lawani Announces; See Why
- EPL: Arteta chooses between Willian, Coutinho
- Arsenal plan to make 55 staff redundant
- Boko Haram supplier arrested in Borno
- #BBNaija: ”Shut up your mouth:” Ozo clashes with Prince during their drama practice (video)
- EPL: Paul Scholes names player Manchester United should sign instead of Sancho
- Dortmund issues update on Jadon Sancho’s move to Man Utd
- Nigerian govt reacts to video of stranded Nigerian ladies in Saudi Arabia
- Veteran Actress Toyin Tomato in sorrow as she loses her mum
- Popular Slay Queen Grows Lean After C0ntracting HIV/AIDS
- #BBNaija 2020: Laycon’s EP Hits 1 Million Streams
- Private depots sell petrol N139 per litre
- BBNaija 2020: Dorathy, Nengi, Kidwwaya, Team B housmates win N2m each
- Lady rejects her boyfriend’s proposal, angrily walks away because he refused to kneel down (Video)
- Nigerian Lady Rejects her Boyfriend’s marriage proposal, “Says he didn’t kneel down” (video)
- I was tempted to touch, says pastor accused of raping fellow pastor’s daughter
- 150 stranded Nigerian girls in Lebanon to be evacuated
- Travis Kelce confirms breakup with girlfriend Kayla Nicole
- BBNaija 2020: Erica breaks up with Kiddwaya
- Diddy’s son, Christian Combs ‘injured in accident’ after a Tesla crashes into his Ferrari (photos)
- COVID-19: Osinbajo reveals Buhari’s priority
- Women Are Meant To Make Men Suffer Before Marriage — Nigerian Relationship Blogger, Oloni
- Europa League: All the teams that have qualified for quarter-finals so far
- Nigeria wants good COVID-19 vaccine — Osinbajo
- Security malaise and post Covid-19 Nigeria
- Why Did Max Leave ‘Catfish’ and Who Is the New Host Kamie Crawford?
- Akwa Ibom PDP commiserates with APC over Chairman’s demise
- BBNaija: ‘He Has So Much To Offer’ – Evicted Housemate, Ka3na Reveals Who She Want To Win
- Gov Dapo Abiodun Has Sold Ogun State To Christians – MURIC
- Tiger Woods might have new putter for PGA Championship
- Edo Deputy Speaker Impeached Hours After Endorsing APC Governorship Candidate, Ize-iyamu
- Al-Qaeda penetrating North-west, US alerts Nigeria
- Edo Govt on auto-pilot — APC campaign council
- Anambra CP summons DPOs, others over rise in cultism
- Nigerians Mercilessly Drag Olamide Over New “Wonma” Music Video Where He Portrayed Nurses As ‘S e x u a l Objects’
- Nigeria police frees Fulani herdsmen-kidnappers In Enugu
- New Jersey gas station set ablaze after car crashes into fuel pumps
- Benue discovers dead teachers on its payroll
- Presidency Tells Communities To Accept Former Boko Haram Fighters
- Security Operatives Shave Off #RevolutionNow Protester’s Hair With Knife, Broken Bottle In Abuja
- Lack of political collaboration, not military sabotage responsible for resurgence of Boko Haram, Says ex-Senate President
- Banditry: Attack leaves UDUS student injured
- Falana, Others Condemn Arrest Of Revolution Now Protesters
- ‘Man Utd is in my blood’ – Jesse Lingard reacts to Europa League victory
- #RevolutionNow: Agba Jalingo re-arrested by Lagos police
- 457 New Coronavirus Cases Recorded In Nigeria
- Governors, Gbajabiamila, Dangote celebrate Rabiu at 60
- We’re committed to finding vaccine, says Osinbajo
- WAEC: Kwara Schools Reopen, Comply With COVID-19 Protocols
- Soldier Arrested For Criticising Tukur Buratai Feared Dead As Chief Of Army Staff Allegedly Attempts Cover Up
- Ohanaeze, IPOB unite
- Zack Wheeler shows Mets what they’re missing by stifling Yankees
- Rivers: Why Wike Removed JAAC Accounts From Banks
- Africa: How Can Nuclear Help Africa, 75 Years After Hiroshima?
- Arsenal to sack 55 staff as COVID-19 hits revenues
- ‘Cost-reflective tariff, deregulation will boost DisCos’