By Charles Okonji
As part of commitment towards bridging metering gap in the state, the Lagos State Government in collaboration with Eko Innovation Centre, has unveiled a Smart Meter Initiative tagged “The Lagos Smart Meter Hackathon 2020”
The initiative is expected to significantly reduce the revenue leakages in the sector and ultimately improve last-mile electricity supply.
In his opening remarks, the Lagos State Governor Mr. Babajide Olusola Sanwo-Olu noted that the launch marks a significant milestone in the implementation plan of the State Government towards improving access to electricity in the state, adding that it is also in line with the Sustainable Development Goal 7 of the UN which aspires to drive universal access to affordable, reliable, sustainable, and modern energy for all by 2030.
Sanwo-Olu pointed out that increased electricity access is one of the priority mandates of his administration given its significance in ultimately driving economic development of the State to enable it achieve the objective of making Lagos a 21st century Economy.
“Lagos Smart Meter Initiative is an important way for the Lagos Government to demonstrate its commitment to improving electricity access and reliability for Lagosians. We believe that adequate metering of Lagosians and in turn Nigerians, would increase willingness to pay for electricity, improve productivity, and more importantly, continue to improve the living conditions of our people,” the Governor stressed.
In his keynote address, the Minister of State, Federal Ministry of Power, Goddy Jedy-Agba, noted that local design and production of affordable meters would be transformational for the industry and the economy at large.
Jedy-Agba said; “Lagos is an important state in Nigeria in terms of size, economy and resources. With a population of over 20million and the 5th highest GDP in Africa, Lagos is by far the biggest economy in Nigeria. Therefore, getting access to electricity right in Lagos is critical for access to electricity in the entire country.”
The Commissioner for Energy and Mineral Resources, Mr. Olalere Odusote said the initiative is expected to provide access to affordable smart meters for Lagosians to improve electricity supply, monitoring, and trust between electricity providers adding that end users while preventing revenue leakage.
According to him, it is also expected to drive innovation and creativity while generating new interest in young people for the sector.
Odusote noted; “Over the years, despite significant investments and resolutions around power generation and distribution, there remains a huge metering gap of over 60 per-cent of electricity consumers in Lagos and Nigeria. This metering gap is what we are seeking to bridge through the Lagos Smart Meter Hackathon.”
Source: The Street Journal
- Injustice: Hotel Workers Stripped Naked By Ex-MinisterKenneth Gbagi, a former Minister of State for Education has been dragged to court for the alleged dehumanizing of four working staffs in his Signatious Hotel in Warri, Delta State. The staffs who ...[Read more]
- Reactions As Nigeria Lesbians Flaunt Partners On TwitterA Nigerian lesbian known as Amara has taken to the micro-blogging platform to flaunt her partner and another lesbian couple. Amara revealed that the loved up photo is very important as she ...[Read more]
- Shut up if you have nothing to say – Bernard Aduse – Poku blasts Sound Engineer over Kumerica commentsGhanaian sound engineer, Wei Ye Oteng has been backlashed by some industry players for saying that the Kumerica initiative will amount to nothing. – Advertisement – Oteng took to his ...[Read more]
- Heroic landmine detection rat wins top UK animal bravery awardSay “cheese,” Magawa! This 7-year-old giant African pouched rat on Friday was awarded a British veterinary charity’s top civilian award for animal bravery after sniffing out unexploded landmines in ...[Read more]
- Duo allegedly planned terror attacks targeting Trump Tower, other sites: fedsTwo men allegedly plotted terror attacks on high-profile US targets, including at Trump Tower and the New York Stock Exchange, where they claimed the destruction would be “Netflix worthy” and earn ...[Read more]
- Bethenny Frankel says she’s tried to get black women on ‘RHONY’Bethenny Frankel claims she tried hard to get women of color on the “Real Housewives of New York.” While appearing on “Watch What Happens Live” on Thursday, the Skinnygirl mogul chatted with host ...[Read more]
- New Movies on Demand: ‘Misbehaviour,’ ‘Stuntwomen,’ ‘Ava’ + MoreHappy Friday, everyone! Not only is it Friday, but it is also the start of every basic girl’s favorite season: fall. Time to bring out the Uggs, light those cinnamon-apple-scented candles and burrow ...[Read more]
- Jerry Seinfeld can’t let go of his big issue with Mets boothWhat’s the deal with “final strike” calls? Jerry Seinfeld wants to know after he was evidently watching the Mets on Thursday night and once again picked a bone with Gary Cohen about the SNY ...[Read more]
- Nigerian Lady flees with N2million given to her by fiance to plan their WeddingA Nigerian man has taken to Twitter to narrate how his uncle’s fiancé fled with the N2million deposited in her account to plan their wedding. The Twitter user, Spendo Gustavo disclosed that his uncle ...[Read more]
- “Signs Of Depression”- Fan Reacts After Regina Daniels Was Spotted Doing This (VIDEO)ADVERTISEMENT A Nigerian lady has raised suspicions about what would possibly be happening to Nollywood actress and mother, Regina Daniels that I think is a concern. The lady identified as ...[Read more]
- Why birds are singing a ‘sexier’ song during COVID-19 lockdownQuarantine has made birds more sultry. The coronavirus shutdown has had a huge, unintended but generally positive impact on nature — including, new research has found, making birds sing softer, ...[Read more]
- Virginia Gov. Ralph Northam, wife test positive for coronavirusVirginia Gov. Ralph Northam and his wife, Pamela, have tested positive for COVID-19, the governor’s office said Friday. The Democratic governor and first lady received nasal swab tests Thursday ...[Read more]
- This service guarantees to make your knives sharper than the day you bought themKeeping your social distance by cooking at home? Then you need a set of razor-sharp knives that can help you get the job done. Why? Because, frankly, sharp knives work better. If you have ever tried ...[Read more]
- State of the ‘Walking Dead’: Scott M. Gimple on the Future of the FranchiseThis was supposed to be a huge year for The Walking Dead. Entering the second decade of the franchise, AMC was — and is — expanding beyond the mothership show and Fear the Walking Dead to ...[Read more]
- Social media users react as lesbian couples pose for a photo in LagosSocial media users have reacted to this photo of two lesbian couples taken at a gay retreat held in Lagos, Nigeria. A lady identified as Amara, with Twitter handle @the_amarion shared ...[Read more]
Join The Discussion👇🏾
- on Nigerian Man Shows Giant Monitor Lizard His Cousin Killed In His Farm- Readies For Pepper Soup- Photos I wish you people know the medical importantance of this Gila lizard.
- on CEO Of Mike Cars Threatens To Beat Bobrisky Anywhere They Meet As They Fight Dirty Over Fulfilling Erica’s Promise Nice one
- on APC Finally Speaks On Reports Of Oshiomhole’s Expulsion From Party Remove him now and I advice him to go to village and start up farming…
- on UEFA announces final three-man shortlist for Men’s Player of the Year [Full list] De Bruyne is from Belgium not Portuguese
- on Two Pastors R a p e 27-year Old Female Corps Member During Prayer Session In Rivers State This is So sad 😢
- on BBNaija: See What Nengi Found Under Her Bed That Ozo Left For Her Your respect for him wasn't enough when he's around, o don't think the…
- on BBNaija: See What Nengi Found Under Her Bed That Ozo Left For Her Ozo is a loving guy, I love the fact that he show how much he loves Ne…
- on BBNaija: See What Nengi Found Under Her Bed That Ozo Left For Her Whao! That's a great show of love from Ozo part. That's so thoughtful…
- on Bola Tinubu Reacts To APC’s Defeat In Edo State The National Leader of the APC, Ahmed Bola Tinubu, chose a good title…
- on Bola Tinubu Reacts To APC’s Defeat In Edo State Thank God you know that