His head bandaged just like his patients, Dr Antoine Qurban said Tuesday’s enormous blast brought “Armageddon” to Beirut’s overwhelmed hospitals in chaotic scenes reminiscent of a war zone.
“Wounded people bleeding out in the middle of the street, others lying on the ground in the hospital courtyard — it reminded me of my missions with Doctors Without Borders (MSF) in Afghanistan many years ago,” he said of his volunteer stint with the medical charity.
The surgeon was among more than 4,000 wounded people who staggered or were taken into badly damaged and massively crowded hospitals across the devastated Lebanese capital on Tuesday evening.
The huge explosion has piled even more pressure on Lebanon’s strained health sector, which before the disaster was already struggling with a wave of coronavirus cases and a severe economic crisis.
“It was Armageddon,” Qurban, who is in his late sixties, told AFP outside the Hotel Dieu Hospital in central Beirut.
The facility is normally his place of work, but on Wednesday he was among throngs of patients, following up on a gash he suffered Tuesday night.
Qurban was at a nearby coffee shop when the blast hit around 6:00 pm local time, flinging him some 20 metres (60 feet) across the room.
His own hospital was overflowing within minutes with wounded, so a stranger on a motorcycle zipped him to another facility.
After an hours-long wait, a medic stitched up his head wound in the street.
– ‘She’s already dead’ –
The scenes were no less chaotic on Wednesday, as people wounded overnight by falling shards of glass sought treatment, weaving between smashed equipment and piles of debris in Hotel Dieu’s hallways.
Mothers asked desperately about the fates of their wounded sons. An elderly man begged for news of his wife, who had been transferred from another hospital.
A cacophony of cellphones rang, and fragments of exhausted conversations could be heard, usually retelling survival stories.
“A miracle kept him alive,” one woman was heard saying, while a man with a bandaged leg handed a blinking cellphone to his sister, telling her simply that “I can’t talk anymore”.
Hotel Dieu treated at least 300 wounded Tuesday and registered 13 dead, according to its medical director Dr George Dabar, who was a medical student there during Lebanon’s 15-year civil war.
“Even then, I didn’t see anything like what I saw yesterday,” he said.
His voice cracking with emotion, Dabar told AFP the hardest moment was telling families their loved ones had died, with nothing left to be done.
“It’s so hard to tell a father carrying his young daughter and trying to save her that she’s already dead.”
According to Lebanon’s health ministry, two hospitals were rendered completely out of service and two more were partly unusable.
At least five nurses died, and several medics and patients were severely hurt.
“The medical teams were already exhausted by everything that has happened in this country and by the coronavirus pandemic,” Dabar said.
“But to face yesterday’s crisis, they came together with amazing solidarity.”
From cooks to maintenance workers, Dabar said, the entire staff was working side by side so Hotel Dieu could stay open.
– Evacuating COVID-19 patients –
The St. George Hospital was not so lucky. The blast left the facility, one of Beirut’s oldest, with collapsed ceilings and electrical wires hanging over beds showered with glass.
“We are not in service anymore,” said St. George Hospital’s chief of staff Eid Azar.
“Amid the current economic situation, I don’t know how much time it will take to repair,” he told AFP.
Staff worked until just before dawn to evacuate patients, equipment and files.
“We did a hospital evacuation, which very rarely happens,” and which included the highly sensitive transfer of 20 patients being treated for COVID-19, he said.
Azar said the emergency operation reminded him of Hurricane Katrina, the devastating natural disaster that hit the US in 2005.
The courtyard was turned into a field clinic, where doctors in bloodied medical robes treated shell-shocked people in the open.
“There’s nothing harder than evacuating a hospital filled to the brim with patients while even more wounded are coming,” said Azar.
“The hospital staff itself was wounded and we needed to transfer our own employees.”
Medics carried patients from nine separate floors one by one on stretchers, as the blast had knocked out the elevators.
Without electricity or water, nurses took great risks to provide whatever life-saving support they could.
“The hospital lights are usually on 24 hours a day — it was completely dark,” said clinical nurse specialist Lara Daher.
“We stitched up patients by the light of our cellphones last night. I don’t know how we did it. I’ve never seen anything like it.”
Source: Vanguard News
- Ghana Election 2020: The EC Deliberately Deletes Names From Voters Register – Alex SegbefiaADVERTISEMENT The Deputy Campaign Manager of the opposition National Democratic Congress (NDC) Mr. Alex Segbefia has stated that the Electoral Commission (EC) deliberately deleted names from the ...[Read more]
- Korean War 70th Anniversary: Remember the lives a ‘Forgotten War’ tookIn 1951, Gen. Douglas MacArthur quoted an old Army ballad in his farewell address to Congress: “Old soldiers never die. They just fade away.” But on the 70th anniversary of the Korean War, it seems ...[Read more]
- Kris Jenner confirms she will not be joining ‘RHOBH’Kris Jenner will not be joining the ladies of “Real Housewives of Beverly Hills.” Several fans speculated that the 65-year-old mother of six would join the hit Bravo series following news of her E! ...[Read more]
- Is Laycon Impotent? Reactions As Laycon GRINDS Nengi’s Bumbum In The Jacuzzi (VIDEO)ADVERTISEMENT Last night at the house was another massive and enjoyable moment as a video circulating online captured Laycon seriously grinding and rocking Nengi’s bumbum, he wouldn’t let her go. ...[Read more]
- US public lands boss William Perry Pendley serving unlawfully: judgeA federal judge ruled Friday that the top US official overseeing public lands has been serving unlawfully in his post and blocked him from continuing on in the position. William Perry Pendley has ...[Read more]
- Drew Barrymore Reunites With Ex-Husband Tom Green On ‘The Drew Barrymore Show’ For First Time In 15 YearsOn Friday, Drew Barrymore welcomed her ex-husband Tom Green, whom she hadn’t spoken to or seen for 15 years, onto The Drew Barrymore Show for an emotional reunion. The endearing trip down memory lane ...[Read more]
- Why Silicon Valley CEOs are such raging psychopathsMaëlle Gavet, a 15-year veteran of the tech industry, recalls an unsettling conversation she had at a Silicon Valley cocktail party in 2017. Gavet was chatting with an early investor at Uber and ...[Read more]
- Chika Ike Sends ‘Important’ Message To Her Fans On InstagramADVERTISEMENT Nollywood actress, Chika Ike has cautioned fans not to be humble to a fault because it is destructive. READ ALSO: Jackie Appiah Is Pregnant – Blogger Alleges The actress believes ...[Read more]
- Money Talks: Zubby Michael Makes Money Rain At Rachael Okonkwo’s Mother’s Burial- WatchADVERTISEMENT Zubby Michael made money literally rain at the burial of a colleague’s mother this weekend. READ ALSO: OBO Things: Davido Gives His Cook, Uncle Chef $1000 As Birthday Gift And He ...[Read more]
- Jupitar is a lazy musician – EpixodeDancehall artiste, Epixode, has described fellow dancehall artiste, Jupitar as a lazy musician. – Advertisement – Speaking in an exclusive interview with Fiifi Pratt on ‘Afro Joint’ on ...[Read more]
- DOWNLOAD: Stonebwoy – Good Morning ft Chivv X SpankerADVERTISEMENT BHIM Nation president, Livingstone Etse Satekla professionally called Stonebwoy rolls out this single tagged; ‘Good Morning’. He links up with Dutch hip-hop recording artiste, Chivv and ...[Read more]
- “Don’t Join Nationwide Strike By Labour Union” – Federal Government Warns Civil ServantsFederal Government of Nigeria has warned civil servants working under federal civil service not to join the planned strike by labour unions across the country scheduled to begin on Monday September ...[Read more]
- Ghana Election 2020: I Will Not Accept A Flawed Election Results – John MahamaADVERTISEMENT John Dramani Mahama, Presidential Candidate of opposition National Democratic Congress (NDC) has said he will not accept a flawed election results if the Electoral Commission of Ghana ...[Read more]
- ”I Didn’t Even Give Him My Blessing To Go Into Music” – Mayorkun’s Mother Toyin Adewale SaysPopular Nollywood actress, Toyin Adewale in an interview with City People speak on her relationship with her son, Mayorkun and how she initially held reservations against he’s music career. Adewale ...[Read more]
- Nancy Grace: My fiancé’s 1979 murder fuels my career nowYears before she became Nancy Grace, legal commentator and host of her own show, “Crime Stories with Nancy Grace” on Fox Nation, she was Nancy Grace, a 19-year-old English literature major at Mercer ...[Read more]
Join The Discussion👇🏾
- on Muslim Man Encounters Jesus While Trying To Kill His Christian Cousin Only true Jesus can one have eternal life. Even before He was born var…
- on #BBNaija: Why Laycon Will Win Bbnaija 2020 – Nengi Reveals Yes oh... Laycon for the money
- on Two Pastors R a p e 27-year Old Female Corps Member During Prayer Session In Rivers State Chai, this world no balance oh...
- on BBNaija: You Would Never Guess What Nenji And Laycon Was Caught Doing She knows he will win, that's why she want to get attached with laycon
- on BBNaija: See What Dorathy Was Caught Doing Alone In The Box Room Dora my girl
- on Losing His Father And Falling Off A Rooftop: READ Touching Story Of Laycon Before BBNaija May he rest in peace
- on May People With Pure Intentions Find People With Pure Intentions – Davido Prays Amen
- on Nigerian Man Shows Giant Monitor Lizard His Cousin Killed In His Farm- Readies For Pepper Soup- Photos I wish you people know the medical importantance of this Gila lizard.
- on CEO Of Mike Cars Threatens To Beat Bobrisky Anywhere They Meet As They Fight Dirty Over Fulfilling Erica’s Promise Nice one
- on APC Finally Speaks On Reports Of Oshiomhole’s Expulsion From Party Remove him now and I advice him to go to village and start up farming…