Stop rockin’ in the free world!
Legendary folk rocker Neil Young is suing to stop President Trump from playing his tunes on the campaign trail.
The Grammy award-winning singer is demanding up to $150,000 for use of anthems such as “Rockin’ in the Free World” and “Devil’s Sidewalk,” which the Trump campaign has played at political events, according to the copyright-infringement suit filed in Manhattan federal court.
“[Young] in good conscience cannot allow his music to be used as a ‘theme song’ for a divisive, un-American campaign of ignorance and hate,” the suit, posted on Young’s website Tuesday, states.
The “Heart of Gold” crooner has repeatedly griped about use of his songs at the presidents’ rallies in the past, and said the campaign used them again at a June 20 rally in Tulsa, Oklahoma, according to the suit.
The 74-year-old singer first complained about use of the 1990 hit, “Rockin’ in the Free World,” in June 2015 when Trump played it while announcing his presidential run.
Over the years, he claims to have asked the campaign repeatedly to stop using the song, but to no avail, the suit states.
“The campaign has willfully ignored Plaintiff’s telling it not to play the Songs and willfully proceeded to play the Songs despite its lack of a license,” according to the lawsuit.
Young said the legal action, “is not intended to disrespect the rights and opinions of American citizens, who are free to support the candidate of their choosing.”
“Imagine what it feels like to hear ‘Rockin’ in the Free World’ after this President speaks, like it is his theme song,” Young said on the website. “I did not write it for that.”
Young’s New York attorney Ivan Saperstein, who filed the lawsuit, declined to comment. A rep for Trump’s campaign didn’t immediately return a request for comment Wednesday.
With Post wires
Source: Newzandar News
- Champion League: Michael Owen predicts Ajax vs Liverpool, Man City vs Porto fixturesOctober 21, 2020Michael Owen, a former England striker, has predicted today’s Champions League matches between Ajax vs Liverpool and Manchester City vs Porto. ...[Read more]
- Ajax Amsterdam vs Liverpool: How Liverpool could line-up against Dutch giantsOctober 21, 2020The European Champions for 2018-2019 season Liverpool would begin their Champions League outing on Wednesday evening as they take a trip to Amsterdam ...[Read more]
- EPL: Mesut Ozil reacts after being dropped by Arteta from Arsenal’s 25-man squadOctober 21, 2020Arsenal playmaker, Mesut Ozil, has reacted after being left out of the Gunners’ Premier League squad for this season. Recall that Arsenal manager, ...[Read more]
- End SARS: Where is Buhari – US-based Nigerian boxer, Kamaru Usman asksOctober 21, 2020A US-based Nigerian boxer, Kamaru Usman, has queried the whereabouts of President Muhammadu Buhari as the End SARS protests continue to spread across ...[Read more]
- PSG vs Man Utd: What Rio Ferdinand said about Axel Tuanzebe after 2-1 winOctober 21, 2020Manchester United legend, Rio Ferdinand, has lauded defender, Axel Tuanzebe’s performance against Paris Saint-Germain in the Champions League on ...[Read more]
- Champions League: Michael Owen criticizes one Chelsea player after 0-0 draw with SevillaOctober 21, 2020Former England striker, Michael Owen, has criticized Chelsea defender, Kurt Zouma, following the Blues’ Champions League 0-0 draw against Sevilla on ...[Read more]
- Nobody can silence me, Runtown respond to recent shootingsIn celebrityOctober 21, 2020Popular Nigerian Singer, Douglas Jack Agu, better known by his stage name Runtown, has hinted that he’s been getting death threats over his active ...[Read more]
- #ENDSARS: ”You threats can never silence me.” – Singer Runtown blows hotOctober 21, 2020Nigerian Singer, Douglas Jack Agu, better known by his stage name Runtown, has indicated that he’s been getting passing dangers over his ...[Read more]
- Protesters removes bullet from a shot victim as military opens fire(Picture)In NewsOctober 21, 2020Brave End SARS protesters were captured on camera trying to remove a bullet from the leg of a young man who was shot at the Lekki toll gate earlier ...[Read more]
- American rapper, Nicki Minaj prays for victims who were injured at the Lekki protest shootingOctober 21, 2020American rapper, Nicki Minaj has joined a growing list of international celebrities who are lending their voice to the #EndSARS protests. She also ...[Read more]
- on ‘Men With Big D!ks Can Talk to Me Anyhow – Lydia Forson Explains in A New Video This is good for nation
- on ‘Men With Big D!ks Can Talk to Me Anyhow – Lydia Forson Explains in A New Video I have one baby, and I know how to work with it.
- on Rita Dominic and Kate Henshaw Joins #EndSARS protest yes o!! They will know that we own this country.
- on See Amazing Photos Of A Village In Abia State Nicknamed “Small London” (+Photos) You guys should come to my ebonyi and see that this one is small
- on Meet Man Who Employs His Biological Son As Security Man In His Company In Nigeria (+Photo) Hmm... Wetin concern me
- on Newcastle vs Man Utd: Paul Scholes blasts Cavani Time shall Tell
- on Man Kills His Parents In Enugu During Misunderstanding God why, okay why did village people called police, y can't theme kill…
- on Police Bust S3x Party, Arrest Guys While Having S3x With The Ladies (Photos) This idiots deserve what's happening to them
- on Kizz Daniels Finally Reveals The Girl He Is Dating Good evening
- on Kizz Daniels Finally Reveals The Girl He Is Dating Hello