BUFFALO — Amed Rosario was caught by surprise just over a week ago when his manager informed him he would be on the bench against most right-handed starting pitchers.
The Mets shortstop had struggled, but thought he proved in the second half of last season he deserved to play every day. That might have held true if the team lacked another option, but rookie Andres Gimenez’s emergence was difficult to ignore.
Now, with two weeks remaining in the regular season, Rosario says his focus is helping the Mets win in any capacity. But he admits he’s unsure about his future role within the organization.
“That’s a decision the team has to make for next year — it’s not mine,” Rosario said through an interpreter before the Mets lost to the Blue Jays, 3-2, on Saturday.
“I wouldn’t say it’s been necessarily difficult. I just think it’s been a challenging time that can happen to anybody in life, but it’s something you can definitely learn from.”
Rosario did his part Saturday. in what has become a rare start, he went 3-for-4, but did get picked off first base to end the game.
He turns 25 in November and will be arbitration eligible for the first time after this season. Once the organization’s top prospect, time may have expired on his chance to become the Mets’ long-term solution at shortstop.
The dynamic Gimenez has shown ability at the plate and defensively, and behind him the organization’s top prospect, Ronny Mauricio, lurks. There is also the possibility a new owner — the Wilpon and Katz families are in exclusive negotiations to sell the team to billionaire Steve Cohen — could trade for the electric Francisco Lindor and sign him long-term.
Rosario entered play with a disappointing .230/.250/.345 slash line this season, with three homers and 13 RBIs. He says he is open to learning the outfield, but team brass is yet to discuss the possibility with him since his demotion. The idea was broached last summer, and Rosario participated in limited outfield drills before the plan was shelved.
“For me, it’s been a tough couple of years,” Rosario said. “I think what’s benefited me is when people underestimate me, that is when I am able to take advantage of that and able to do what I want to do. I think sometimes a big problem is some people want me to shine the way they want me to shine. I think that plays to my advantage because I’m able to play my way.”
Rosario’s raw athleticism remains his prime asset, but his lack of plate discipline has largely confounded the Mets.
“His tools are unbelievable, he can do so many things,” manager Luis Rojas said. “Just watching the game from that angle [on the bench] and picking up some things and kind of slowing things down, he can always learn.”
The 22-year-old Gimenez is more polished, especially on defense, where he has been compared to former Mets magician Rey Ordonez. At the plate Gimenez has hit a respectable .287/.340/.426 with two homers and 10 RBIs. Gimenez is receiving the majority of starts, as Rojas fields the team he believes will give the Mets their best chance to win on a daily basis as they chase a postseason berth.
Rosario will remain under club control for another three seasons and says he hopes the Mets keep him.
“For me it would be tremendous to stay with the Mets,” Rosario said. “I think it’s a tremendous team and especially with the teammates that I have there are guys who have supported me and been helping me out throughout the years and I would love to be here long term.”
New York Post
- Bobrisky Narrates How His Name Saved His Driver From HoodlumsOctober 23, 2020Nigerian crossdresser popularly known as Bobrisky, took to his page to narrate how his name spared his vehicle from being vandalized by hudlumps. The ...[Read more]
- Barcelona vs Real Madrid: Zidane given two games to save his jobOctober 23, 2020Real Madrid manager, Zinedine Zidane, has two games to save his job, L’Equipe reports. Los Blancos have started the 2020/2021 season on a shaky note. ...[Read more]
- “We are deeply sorry for flagging #ENDSARS Protest As False Information”- Instagram To NigeriansOctober 23, 2020American photo and video sharing social networking service, Instagram has apologized to Nigerians for incorrectly flagging down posts in support of ...[Read more]
- Man Utd vs Chelsea: What Edouard Mendy said about KepaOctober 23, 2020Chelsea goalkeeper, Edouard Mendy has insisted that he has a very good relationship with fellow teammate, Kepa Arrizabalaga, despite the duo fighting ...[Read more]
- Famous Nigerian Instagram drama, Producer OluwaDolarz Welcomes His Fisrt Child, See Adorable PhotosOctober 23, 2020Famous Nigerian Instagram drama producer, OluwaDolarz has declared the introduction of his first youngster on his Instagram page. The comic actor ...[Read more]
- Rudeboy “faints” In Shock After Watching President Buhari’s Address To Nigerians (+Video)October 23, 2020President Buhari at long last tended to the country today and the discourse has since seen a few responses from Nigerians, including big names. In ...[Read more]
- Lagos State Govt Condemns The looting of COVID-19 Palliative WarehouseOctober 23, 2020The Lagos state government has condemed the attack on a COVID-19 palliative stockroom in Mazamaza by criminals. Hooligans had on Thursday morning ...[Read more]
- Europa League: Gattuso blasts Osimhen, others after Napoli’s 1-0 defeatOctober 23, 2020Napoli manager, Gennaro Gattuso, has hit out at Victor Osimhen and his team-mates, following a 1-0 home defeat to AZ Alkmaar in the Europa League on ...[Read more]
- See Nigerians Reactions After President Muhammadu Buhari National Broadcast (+Screenshots)October 23, 2020Online media users have condemned President Muhammadu Buhari over the live public broadcast on the turmoil in the nation comparable to the #EndSARS ...[Read more]
- US blast Nigerian Govt Over Lekki Toll Gate ShootingsOctober 22, 2020US Fumes At Nigeria Over Lekki Toll Gate Shootings, Asks For Shooter Involved To Be Punished The government of the United States Of America has ...[Read more]