An Israeli court sentenced top model Bar Refaeli on Sunday to nine months of community service and sentenced her mother to 16 months in prison, ending a prolonged tax evasion case that had sullied the image of a once-beloved national icon.
Refaeli entered the Tel Aviv courthouse in a beige T-shirt and wearing a light blue surgical face mask. She was accompanied by her father, Raffi, her mother, Tzipi, and flanked by lawyers. The 35-year-old Refaeli and her mother were convicted in July to offenses of evading paying taxes on income nearing $10 million.
According to a plea bargain accepted by the court, the two were also ordered to pay a $1.5 million fine on top of millions of back taxes owed to the state. Tzipi Refaeli is set to begin serving her prison sentence next week.
The prolonged case, built around the celebrity model’s worldwide income and the family’s attempts to downplay her ties to Israel, damaged her well-crafted public image as an informal ambassador for the country.
Still, she remains a popular TV personality and pitch-woman whose image is ubiquitous on highway billboards throughout the country. Last year, she hosted the Eurovision Song Contest in Tel Aviv.
The case centers around Refaeli’s residence during years when she traveled around the world in high-profile modeling campaigns, graced the cover of the Sports Illustrated swimsuit edition and had a lengthy romantic relationship with Hollywood actor Leonardo DiCaprio.
Israeli tax law determines residency primarily upon whether the person spent most of the calendar year in the country. Refaeli claimed that she hadn’t and therefore did not have to declare her income during certain years.
Prosecutors rejected her claim and charged her with providing incorrect tax information. Refaeli’s indictment said she earned some $7.2 million between the years 2009-2012 while claiming to reside overseas to avoid paying Israeli taxes on her income.
In previous appeals, an Israeli court ruled that Refaeli’s relationship with DiCaprio did not qualify as a “family unit,” and therefore she could not claim his U.S. residence to avoid paying the full taxes she owed.
Refaeli’s lawyers said the plea bargain proved she had not intentionally evaded paying taxes. Refaeli’s mother, who also acted as her agent, was charged with failure to report income, avoiding paying taxes and aiding someone else in evading tax payments. The indictment said she signed leases for her daughter under the names of other family members to blur Refaeli’s actual residency status and refrained from declaring her own income as her daughter’s agent.
New York Post
- Nengi Set Social Media On Fir With Her Latest Hot Photos (+Photos)October 19, 2020Big Brother Naija’s, Rebecca Nengi Hampson, chose to beauty the gram this Monday morning with some blistering photographs, and her fans and ...[Read more]
- The BBNaija star, TrikyTee replies allegation of demanding money to join EndSARS protestOctober 19, 2020The Big Brother Naija star, TrikyTee has replied the allegation that he is demanding money to join EndSARS protest. It was alleged that TrikyTee had ...[Read more]
- Nigerian actress, Genevieve Nnaji blasts DSS, See whyOctober 19, 2020The Popular Nigerian actress, Genevieve Nnaji slammed Department of State Services (DSS) after reports emerged that they have arrested protesters in ...[Read more]
- See emerging facts Kemi Olunloyo released about her father, You’ll be shockedOctober 19, 2020The popular Kemi Olunloyo is a US-trained investigative journalist and a pharmaceutical medical person who is mostly known for her controversies and ...[Read more]
- Mercy Eke takes to her IG page to encourage Nigerian youths not to give up on protestOctober 19, 2020Nigeria has been in shambles for the past few days following the ongoing brutality ravaging lives in the country. youths in the nation have staged ...[Read more]
- BBNaija star Dorathy bags another deal, see which companyOctober 19, 2020The Ex-housemate of BBNaija season 5, Dorathy has bagged another deal with Mapia Tea and Fitness Company. After signing a lucrative deal with ...[Read more]
- Regina Daniels shades husband, See what she saidOctober 19, 2020The popular Billionaire wife Regina Daniels has started shading others with her husband’s wealth as she claims she’s counting her money hence she ...[Read more]
- American star, Chris Brown joins #EndSARSOctober 19, 2020The American artiste, Chris Brown has used his social media platforms to join the EndSars demonstration across the globe Nigerians have come together ...[Read more]
- See Reactions As Wizkid And Reekado Unfollows Each Other On Social MediaOctober 19, 2020Nigerian artists Wizkid and Reeekado Banks have started a ton of responses from fans after Wizkid offended and savaged Reekado via online media for ...[Read more]
- Broda Shaggi shares experience with touts, You will need to read itOctober 19, 2020Nigerian thespian, Samuel Perry otherwise known as Broda Shaggi recently suffered extortion at the hands of touts who blocked his part and damaged ...[Read more]
Join The Discussion👇🏾
- on Rita Dominic and Kate Henshaw Joins #EndSARS protest yes o!! They will know that we own this country.
- on See Amazing Photos Of A Village In Abia State Nicknamed “Small London” (+Photos) You guys should come to my ebonyi and see that this one is small
- on Meet Man Who Employs His Biological Son As Security Man In His Company In Nigeria (+Photo) Hmm... Wetin concern me
- on Newcastle vs Man Utd: Paul Scholes blasts Cavani Time shall Tell
- on Man Kills His Parents In Enugu During Misunderstanding God why, okay why did village people called police, y can't theme kill…
- on Police Bust S3x Party, Arrest Guys While Having S3x With The Ladies (Photos) This idiots deserve what's happening to them
- on Kizz Daniels Finally Reveals The Girl He Is Dating Good evening
- on Kizz Daniels Finally Reveals The Girl He Is Dating Hello
- on Residents In Tears As Tenant Stabs Landlord To Death (+Graphic photos) What a world may be is fustration.RIP Mr landlord
- on Residents In Tears As Tenant Stabs Landlord To Death (+Graphic photos) Hmm what a world,Rip