Progressive Intellectuals, that is the name of the group who has written to Chief Justice to not consider Honorable Kennedy Agyapong in any way but pronounce on him the deserving judgement for disrespecting the court and the judiciary of Ghana.
The group is calling for a fair court trial on the Member of Parliament for Assin Central and also the lawful punishment he deserves because, he is a lawmaker and should have known better in his dealing witht the Chief Justice.
They say ““Ghanaians expect that the judiciary, in the same manner as was in the ‘Montie trio’, will crack the whip on Hon Kennedy Agyapong without fear or favor. We expect that the notorious trite maxim, “equality before the law” which underpins all democratic and lawful societies like Ghana shall be upheld”.”
Although Mr. Kennedy Agyapong has written to apologise the CJ, yet the group; Progressive Intellectuals believes ignorant is no excuses of the law as the constitution stipulate
READ ALSO: Kennedy Agyapong Writes Apology Letter To CJ And High Court Justice After Order
The Group in a statement said “Ghanaians expect that the judiciary, in the same manner as was in the ‘Montie trio’, will crack the whip on Hon Kennedy Agyapong without fear or favour. We expect that the notorious trite maxim, “equality before the law” which underpins all democratic and lawful societies like Ghana shall be upheld”.
They called for a fair trail and the needed punishment be given to the lawmaker to serve as a deterrent.
“We deem the lawless conduct of the Hon MP as a grievous and a more impactful fault than that of the ‘Montie trio’s’ regrettable episode. It is therefore expected that the NPP MP is given a fair trial in the court and be allowed to have his day as well, and if found guilty given the appropriate punishment to serve as deterrence for like-minded persons”.
Kennedy Agyapong has been summoned to court for threatening to deal with a Judge for issuing an interlocutory injunction against him in a land case he is involved in.
He said he was going to deal with the Judge adding that he was not Anas who will take bribe from them and spare them.
Here is the write-up statement by Progressive Intellectuals to Chief Justice.
IN THE MATTER OF THE CONTEMPT CHARGE AGAINST THE HON MEMBER OF PARLIAMENT FOR ASSIN CENTRAL, CENTRAL REGION, HONOURABLE KENNEDY AGYAPONG.
We write as a group known as Progressive Intellectuals, made up of academics with various backgrounds in Ghana, to bring our concerns to the attention of Ghanaians on the above subject matter.
We recall that in 2016, three individual Ghanaians were convicted on contempt charges for making some unguarded and unfortunate statements about the Honourable Chief Justice and some Justices of the Supreme Court on an evening radio discussion programme on Montie 100.1 FM. For emphasis, the three persons were convicted on their own guilty pleas on the following contemptuous charges against the Supreme Court; scandalising the court; defying and lowering the authority of the court; and bringing the authority of the court into disrepute. In a judgment of the Supreme Court of Ghana dated 27th July 2016, the contemnors, Salifu Maase (alias Mugabe) Godwin Ako Gunn and Alistair Tairo Nelson, citizens of Ghana, were convicted to prison for contempt of court. Before judgment would be handed to them, the gentlemen in subsequent broadcasts on different platforms, expressed their remorse and rendered unqualified apologies for their statements. They admitted their guilt and apologised for their conduct, and pleaded for mercy and forgiveness before the court. It must be noted that, despite their personal apologies and pleas from sympathisers to the court to tamper justice with mercy, the Supreme Court was minded to exact judgment in accordance with article 126(2) of the Constitution of the Republic of Ghana to serve as deterrent to the general citizenry. The final judgment was sentence for each of them to four (4) months imprisonment, together with a fine of GHC10,000.00 each or in default a further term of one (1) month.
After paying the fines and serving parts of the prison terms at the Nsawam Medium Security prison, the convicts petitioned the President and received pardon through the lawful exercise of the prerogative of mercy under Article 72 of the 1992 Constitution, which pardon received mixed reactions from the general public.
It is instructive to note that, as expected of the moral society, before the “Montie trio” would be convicted, the general public including civil society organisations, faith-based organisations, professional bodies (notably the Ghana Bar Association (GBA), the Ghana Journalists Association (GJA)), political parties (including the party they were alleged to belong to, the NDC), and some respected individuals had through different fora condemned their conducts with all the alacrity it deserved.
In the last few days, Ghanaians woke up to hear a very serious and condemnable statement allegedly uttered by the Hon Member of Parliament for Assin Central in the Central Region, Hon Kennedy Agyapong, threatening to deal with a sitting judge in a case he is involved himself as a defendant. Kennedy Agyapong on his privately-owned media, Net 2 TV on Wednesday, September 2, 2020, used very unprintable language to express his displeasure in a land case he is appearing as a defendant and an interested party. His anger was over a decision by the trial judge to grant an injunction against him without allegedly conducting due diligence. In his furor, the MP alleged that judges in Ghana abuse their powers in line with their judicial roles and threatened to “face the judge” in this particular matter and dared same to challenge him.
We take note of the fact that, upon receiving a contempt summon from the court, the NPP MP has issued a personal statement ahead of the September 14, 2020 scheduled date for hearing to apologise to the Honourable Chief Justice and the Justices of the courts in Ghana as a whole.
We took note to rehash the brief backgrounds of the two cases to underline the principles that must inform the moral judgments of the general public and particularly the court trying this matter to take judicial notice of precedents and lessons for posterity.
In a democratic society like Ghana, the least one would expect is the misapplication of our laws and/or unfair treatments of citizens based on their race, place of origin, political opinion, colour, religion, creed or gender against the spirit of article 12(2) of the 1992 Constitution.
First, without prejudice to judicial processes, we are still astonished by the loud silence of the general public, and particularly by the GBA in condemning this contemptuous outburst. We will therefore demand same swift condemnation from the GBA, the GJA and like-minded organisations as they did in the “Montie trio” case.
We shall always as academics expect a greater level of condemnation for someone in the capacity such as lawmaker of our Republic who is naturally expected to live above reproach and defend the institutions of government which he has sworn on oath to do same.
Ghanaians expect that the judiciary, in the same manner as was in the ‘Montie trio’, will crack the whip on Hon Kennedy Agyapong without fear or favour. We expect that the notorious trite maxim, “equality before the law” which underpins all democratic and lawful societies like Ghana shall be upheld.
We deem the lawless conduct of the Hon MP as a grievous and a more impactful fault than that of the ‘Montie trio’s’ regrettable episode. It is therefore expected that the NPP MP is given a fair trial in the court and be allowed to have his day as well, and if found guilty given the appropriate punishment to serve as deterrence for like-minded persons.
We trust the highest impartiality of the Ghanaian judiciary and hope that no influence will come to bear in this matter in any way in the pursuit of justice and equity. We are also by this statement calling on the President of the Republic of Ghana, His Excellency Nana Addo Dankwa Akuffo Addo to publicly condemn the conduct of his NPP MP and support a fair trial of same.
Long live Ghana!
Long live the Judiciary of Ghana!
Long live the Progressive Intellectuals of Ghana
- Hilary Clinton Calls On President Buhari To Stop The Killing Of #ENDSARS ProtestersOctober 20, 2020Former United States presidential candidate, Hilary Clinton, has called on President Muhammadu Buhari and the Nigeria Army to stop the murdering of ...[Read more]
- #EndSARS: Burna Boy Cries Out Over The Shooting Of Protesters At Lekki Toll GateOctober 20, 2020Burna Boy has reacted to the shooting of peaceful EndSARS protesters at Lekki Toll Gate today, October 20. He tweeted: “These are the most serious ...[Read more]
- BREAKING!!! IPOB Leader Mazi Nnamdi Kanu Declares War In Nigeria, Orders Biafrans To Kill Every Policeman, Army Officer (+Audio)October 20, 2020Reaching Newzandar News has it that the leader of the indigenous People Of Biafra, Mazi Nnamdi Kanu on Tuesday declared war In Nigeria after he heard ...[Read more]
- Solskjaer leaves out two senior players as Man Utd submit 25-man EPL squad [Full List]October 20, 2020Manchester United manager, Ole Gunnar Solskjaer, has left Phil Jones and Sergio Romero from his 25-man squad for the Premier League. The pair were ...[Read more]
- EPL: Three exceptional players keeping Solskjaer’s job at Manchester UnitedOctober 20, 2020The Manchester United side started the season poorly and this has raised fears about Ole Gunnar Solskjaer’s capacity to continue on the United hot ...[Read more]
- The Veteran Nollywood actress, Joke Silva recounts how she discovered she was adopted by her parentsOctober 20, 2020The Veteran Nollywood actress, Joke Silva has recounted how she discovered she was adopted by her parents. Sharing the story, the 59-year-old TV ...[Read more]
- Singer Falz Cries Over The Shooting At Lekki Toll GateOctober 20, 2020As indicated by reports spreading all over the web, Military men started shooting at quiet protesters and it caused commotion at what was already a ...[Read more]
- 1xBet Login Process and Operator’s AdvantagesIn SponsoredOctober 20, 2020Even a beginner will have absolutely no problems with 1xBet registering on the platform, navigating it and placing bets. The 1xBet website provides ...[Read more]
- #ENDSARS: Actress, Ufuoma McDermott Cries Over Shooting At Lekki Toll Gate (+Video)October 20, 2020Nollywood Actress, Ufuoma McDermott has responded to the lamentable episode that happened at Lekki Toll Gate where soldiers reportedly opened fire on ...[Read more]
- Nollywood actress, Mercy Aigbe believes nationwide protest will give more ladies husbands this yearIn NewsOctober 20, 2020The Nollywood actress, Mercy Aigbe, has opined that the ongoing nationwide #Endsars protest will give ladies husbands this year more than popular ...[Read more]
Join The Discussion👇🏾
- on ‘Men With Big D!ks Can Talk to Me Anyhow – Lydia Forson Explains in A New Video I have one baby, and I know how to work with it.
- on Rita Dominic and Kate Henshaw Joins #EndSARS protest yes o!! They will know that we own this country.
- on See Amazing Photos Of A Village In Abia State Nicknamed “Small London” (+Photos) You guys should come to my ebonyi and see that this one is small
- on Meet Man Who Employs His Biological Son As Security Man In His Company In Nigeria (+Photo) Hmm... Wetin concern me
- on Newcastle vs Man Utd: Paul Scholes blasts Cavani Time shall Tell
- on Man Kills His Parents In Enugu During Misunderstanding God why, okay why did village people called police, y can't theme kill…
- on Police Bust S3x Party, Arrest Guys While Having S3x With The Ladies (Photos) This idiots deserve what's happening to them
- on Kizz Daniels Finally Reveals The Girl He Is Dating Good evening
- on Kizz Daniels Finally Reveals The Girl He Is Dating Hello
- on Residents In Tears As Tenant Stabs Landlord To Death (+Graphic photos) What a world may be is fustration.RIP Mr landlord