The two Boeing 737 MAX crashes that killed 346 people and led to the jetliner’s grounding in March 2019 were the “horrific culmination” of “repeated and serious failures” by the company and air-safety regulators, according to a scathing congressional report released Wednesday.
“The MAX crashes were not the result of a singular failure, technical mistake or mismanaged event,” wrote the staff members from the House Transportation and Infrastructure Committee who blasted both Boeing and the Federal Aviation Administration.
“They were the horrific culmination of a series of faulty technical assumptions by Boeing’s engineers, a lack of transparency on the part of Boeing’s management, and grossly insufficient oversight by the FAA,” the wrote.
“The fact that a compliant airplane suffered from two deadly crashes in less than five months is clear evidence that the current regulatory system is fundamentally flawed and needs to be repaired,” added the 239-page report, the culmination of the committee’s 18-month probe.
The 737 MAX was grounded after the crash of Ethiopian Airlines Flight 302 near Addis Ababa, killing all 157 aboard. In October 2018, all 189 aboard a Lion Air 737 MAX were killed when it crashed in Indonesia.
“Boeing failed in its design and development of the MAX, and the FAA failed in its oversight of Boeing and its certification of the aircraft,” the report said.
The document adds to scrutiny of both Boeing and the FAA as the agency manages the process of requiring upgrades to the aircraft before it is cleared to take to the skies again.
The plane maker said it “learned many hard lessons as a company from the accidents … and from the mistakes we have made.”
Boeing said it had cooperated fully with the House committee and that revised design work on the plane had received intensive internal and external review that included 1,300 test flights, Reuters reported.
The FAA said in a statement it would work with lawmakers “to implement improvements identified in its report,” adding that the agency was “focused on advancing overall aviation safety by improving our organization, processes, and culture.”
The report said Boeing made “faulty design and performance assumptions” particularly about a key safety system – the Maneuvering Characteristics Augmentation System, or MCAS – that was linked to both crashes.
MCAS, which was designed to help counter a tendency of the airliner to pitch up, could be activated after data from only a single sensor. The FAA is requiring new safeguards to MCAS, including requiring it receive data from two sensors.
According to the report, Boeing wanted to keep details about MCAS from the FAA so it wouldn’t require additional pilot training. That would ruin the company’s sales pitch for the MAX — that pilots of older 737s wouldn’t have to go through extensive simulator training to fly the new models.
The report also slammed Boeing for withholding “crucial information from the FAA, its customers, and 737 MAX pilots” including “concealing the very existence of MCAS from 737 MAX pilots.”
The FAA “failed to ensure the safety of the traveling public,” the report said.
Lawmakers, who suggested Boeing was motivated to cut costs and move quickly to get the 737 MAX to market, have proposed a variety of reforms to restructure how the FAA oversees aircraft certification.
“This is a tragedy that never should have happened,” House Transportation Committee Chairman Peter DeFazio told reporters. “We’re going to take steps in our legislation to see that it never happens again as we reform the system.”
Fazio (D-Oregon) wouldn’t provide details of possible changes, saying committee leaders are in talks with Republicans about legislation.
On Wednesday, the Senate Commerce Committee could make changes to a bipartisan bill giving the FAA more control over picking company employees who sign off on safety decisions.
One improvement may be that an aircraft with significant changes from previous models would need more FAA review.
In an interview with investigators, Keith Leverkuhn, former Boeing general manager for the MAX, said he considered development of the plane a success despite the crashes.
“I do challenge the suggestion that the development was a failure,” the report quotes him as saying.
Relatives of people who died in the crashes said the report exposed the truth.
“It was an unforgivable crime, and Boeing still wants to return the aircraft to service quickly,” said Ababu Amha, whose wife was a flight attendant on the doomed Ethiopian plane. “All those responsible for the accident should pay the price for their actions.”
With Post wires
New York Post
- Rev Obofuor and wife display real cash and riches at the naming ceremony for their tripletsThe founder of Anointed Palace Chapel, Reverend Francis Antwi, well known as Reverend Obofour, has once again shown how much the Almighty God has blessed him. – Advertisement – Reverend ...[Read more]
- BBNaija: Meet Prince’s Wealthy Father, A King Of A Town In Imo State (Photos)ADVERTISEMENT Ex-housemate, Prince is not new to wealth as his father is one of the richest men in Nigeria. READ ALSO: BBNaija: “My Regret In Life Is Dumping Laycon For Another Guy” – Laycon’s ...[Read more]
- If Anyone Wants Your Vote Come And Tell Me So I Negotiate With The Person – Patapaa Tells His Swedru PeopleADVERTISEMENT Ghanaian artiste Justice Amoah popularly known as Patapaa has urged his followers in Swedru to seek his council before they vote in the upcoming December general elections. According to ...[Read more]
- Ghana Election 2020: EC Facing Same Challenges Every Election Year Proves Their Incompetence – Prof. GyampoADVERTISEMENT Professor Ransford Gyampo, renowned Political Scientist the political sphere of Ghana is calling on Electoral Commission of Ghana (EC) to put in the deserving work to achieve a degree ...[Read more]
- “Divide Us, We Are Your Red Sea” – Fans React As Erica Stuns In Lovely White Outfit For BBNaija Finale Party (VIDEO)ADVERTISEMENT Fans are loving the outfit disqualified Big Brother Naija lockdown housemate, Erica wore as she joined her former housemates via Zoom at last night’s party. Erica did not want to leave ...[Read more]
- That Stroller Be Like Ned’s First Child Use Am – Fans Mock Regina Daniels After She Shared This Photo With Her SonADVERTISEMENT Billionaire wife Regina Daniels has been mocked by some netizens for using a stroller that doesn’t suit her son after sharing a photo of them dripping as usual. Some fans were only ...[Read more]
- DOWNLOAD: KiDi – For Better For WorseADVERTISEMENT Lynx Entertainment’s artiste, Dennis Nana Dwamena professionally called KiDi comes through with this single titled; ‘For Better For Worse’. This record is taken off his recent album; ...[Read more]
- REAL Reason Why Erica Didn’t Attend BBNaija Finale Party Despite Rocking Her White Dress (VIDEO)ADVERTISEMENT Disqualified Big Brother Naija housemate, Erica, was missing in action at last night’s All White Party in the lockdown house where other housemates gathered to celebrate as the season 5 ...[Read more]
- DOWNLOAD: KiDi – Letter To AfiaADVERTISEMENT Ghanaian songwriter and singer, Dennis Nana Dwamena popularly called KiDi comes through with this single titled; ‘Letter To Afia’. This record is taken off his recent “Sugar” album ...[Read more]
- Another Haircut Design Unveiled By Nigerian Talented BarberADVERTISEMENT After going viral with a haircut, popular Nigerian barber, @Topzcut has unveiled a new haircut. READ ALSO: Mercy Johnson Stuns Social Media With New Haircut While Having Fun With Her ...[Read more]
- DOWNLOAD: KiDi – Pour Some SugarADVERTISEMENT Dennis Nana Dwamena popularly called KiDi comes through with this single titled; ‘Pour Some Sugar’. This record is taken off his recent “Sugar” album which embeds 13 songs and features ...[Read more]
- BBNaija2020: Moment Ozo Rocked Ka3na At The Last Saturday Night Party (Watch Video)2020 Evicted Big Brother Naija housemate, Ozo had fun last night with Ka3na at the last Saturday party of the season 5 edition. Ozo and Ka3na couldn’t keep their hands off each other last night, as ...[Read more]
- Jets vs. Colts: Preview, predictions, what to watch forCostello’s Call It would be a win for the Jets just to remain competitive in this game after two weeks of looking like a doormat. This one will be close at halftime, but the Colts will pull away as ...[Read more]
- SARS Officers Allegedly Arrest And Assault Bobrisky’s Junior Colleague, Onyx GodwinADVERTISEMENT Fast-rising Nigerian male crossdresser, Onyx Godwin has revealed that he was arrested and assaulted by some officers of the Nigerian Special Anti-Robbery Squad (SARS). Onyx Godwin who ...[Read more]
- We will come and check if Covid-19 exists in Nigeria – US GovernmentTHE United State Government said it will be conducting a survey that will cost it a total of $2.1million to determine the extent of COVID-19 transmission in three selected states of Gombe, Enugu, and ...[Read more]
- on Breaking!!! Kanu Promises to Drop Biafra Agitation on One Condition Rape: (Apart from people who rape with occuitic power with small girl…
- on #BBNaija: “I’m a big fan, this guy sweet die” – Mercy Eke gushes over Prince (Video) Med oooo🤨🤨🤨😁😁🤣🤣🤣🤣
- on Laycon Finally Makes Housemates Understand Why He Wears Sweater And Socks 24/7 And It’s Heartbreaking- See Reactions From Nigerians Aww sorry laycon
- on Breaking!!! Kanu Promises to Drop Biafra Agitation on One Condition People must knew that lord lugard was not supported south protectorate…
- on Breaking!!! Kanu Promises to Drop Biafra Agitation on One Condition When talking about Muslim, ask for forgiveness from God ,because their…
- on Breaking!!! Kanu Promises to Drop Biafra Agitation on One Condition No body will answer n kanu beco educated people by then are not gain t…
- on Muslim Man Encounters Jesus While Trying To Kill His Christian Cousin We give every glory to God
- on Muslim Man Encounters Jesus While Trying To Kill His Christian Cousin Only true Jesus can one have eternal life. Even before He was born var…
- on #BBNaija: Why Laycon Will Win Bbnaija 2020 – Nengi Reveals Yes oh... Laycon for the money
- on Two Pastors R a p e 27-year Old Female Corps Member During Prayer Session In Rivers State Chai, this world no balance oh...