The father of the sorority girl busted on arson and riot charges in Lancaster, Penn. slammed her $1 million bail as “vindictive” — but said he didn’t blame police for taking action amid the “nasty scene.”
Chip Patterson said it’s clear authorities are trying to send a message to protesters like his daughter, Kathryn, who was among 13 people busted Monday around 3 a.m. on a slew of charges related to riots outside the Lancaster Police station.
“[I’m] completely floored. It’s really just vindictive,” Chip told The Post. “You want to have faith in the system because it’s the only one we have and then you experience this. I understand why my daughter would protest in the first place.”
But he later conceded, “I understand the police building itself was damaged and it was a nasty scene. I don’t blame them for taking action.”
Bail was set for Kathryn and her alleged cohorts at $1 million. They’ve remained locked up at the Lancaster County Prison, where she phoned her dad Tuesday night.
“She was crying when I answered. First thing she told me was, ‘I’m sorry I did this to you,’” said Chip while choking up. “I said, ‘It’s OK. We’re going to get you out.’”
The dad said he and his daughter didn’t discuss what happened overnight Sunday — when hundreds of protesters descended on the police station in wake of the police shooting of Ricardo Munoz, the knife-wielding, mentally ill man who charged at a cop earlier in the day.
He said his daughter, a student at Franklin & Marshall College in the city, was acting as a medic at the protest, as she’s done at past demonstrations.
“I don’t know what she did or didn’t do,” said Chip, who works as the head of the English department at Mercersburg Academy, a co-ed boarding school in the family’s hometown. “I would be shocked if she did something violent. The charges against her are way out of line.
The mob broke the windows of the station and post office, causing $3,500 in damage, chucked water bottles and other objects at officers, blocked a highway and set dumpsters on fire, according to an affidavit of probable cause.
Kathryn, along with her friend Taylor Enterline, who was also allegedly working as a “medic” that night, was identified as a “main instigator and participant in promoting this behavior and was seen actively throwing listed items at police, failing to disperse when ordered, and/or adding items to the fire in the street,” police alleged in the affidavit.
She and Enterline, 20, were arrested about a block away from the station, the record says.
Alaak Deu was with the two young women when they were arrested and told Lancaster Online that police jumped out of a van, gun drawn, and arrested the pair. He claimed Kathryn and Enterline, who are part of civil rights group Green Dreamz, remained peaceful all night.
Enterline’s mother declined to comment Wednesday.
Chip said he’s now working with the advocacy group Lancaster Stands Up in getting his daughter’s bail reduced.
“I think it’s pretty clear they’re trying to send a message,” the dad said about the police and judge who set his daughter’s bail.
“They’re not going to tolerate protesting in their city, they’re not going to be like other cities in this country. That’s just not going to happen here.”
New York Post
- Meet The Top 10 Biafran Soldiers Who Fought Alongside OjukwuBiafra throughout the years has spoken to the patriot yearnings of the Igbo individuals whose administration felt they could no longer exist together with the Northern-ruled national government. The ...[Read more]
- 2020 Technologies and producers that will blow you mindThe best smart home devices of 2020 Amazon and Google are in great competition to control your house. Here are the smart home products that are most worth your time in 2020. If you’ve already ...[Read more]
- Watch Video of Kiddwaya’s “bad behaviour” when Laycon was being presented a carReactions have poured on Twitter on how Kiddwaya behaved when Laycon was being presented a brand-new car. During the presentation of the car to Laycon, Kiddwaya came from nowhere to interrupt. He ...[Read more]
- Sad: Moment SHS Students Returning From NSMQ Involved In An AccidentIts that time of the year again and as usual the National Science and Maths Quiz (NSMQ)has been organized again. Newzandar learnt that four students who were returning from the NSMQ have been ...[Read more]
- PO Donkor wins Gospel Song of the Year awardVersatile gospel musician, PO Kwabenya Donkor’s “shine on me” song won him an award at the just ended Western Music Awards (WMA) held in Takoradi. – Advertisement – The military officer ...[Read more]
- Kim Kardashian struggles to get into gold latex outfit and is said to end her reality tv show soonReality TV queen Kim Kardashian has struggled to get into a gold latex outfit in a new clip from Keeping Up With The Kardashians. The segment was posted by her younger sister Khloe Kardashian ...[Read more]
- Lady runs mad after alighting from a Benz (Watch video)A viral video which has been spotted that captures the shocking moment a young lady was misbehaving just by the roadside bring held by her friends to avoid running out of hand. It is believed that ...[Read more]
- Top 10 most beautiful BBNaija housemates of all time.Beauty is something that has always been associated with TV shows. An unspoken criterion for the selection of reality TV faces is actually physical appearance and the Big Brother Naija reality TV ...[Read more]
- No more rallies, protest in ahead of tomorrow’s independence celebration,PoliceThe Lagos State Police Command has threatened to disrupt any protest tomorrow independence celebration. Below are the full statement from The Lagos State Police Command: “While the Commissioner of ...[Read more]
- See what you don’t know about Laycon’s mumThe BBN winner season 5 Laycon comes from a humble background (we don’t want to be harsh and say poor background) and he was raised by the mum . according to report Laycon’s father died when the ...[Read more]
- Joblessness is on the increase, Iwas sold roasted corn with someone’s CV,Bukunmi OluwashinaNollywood actress Bukunmi Oluwashina took her instagram handle to lament on the increasing joblessness in the country. She said she was sold roasted corn at Ikeja with someone’s CV. It was so ...[Read more]
- Davido Reveals Where He Met ChiomaIn a latest video, Davido has revealed that he attended the same university with her baby mama, Chioma. In a radio submission, Davido said he saw Chioma at the university after his friend, Lati ...[Read more]
- Mr Ibu and Davido Chilling Together, See What He Told Davido About Lagos that Made Him Laugh.John Ikechukwu Okafor, popularly known as Mr. Ibu is a Nigerian actor and comedian . Do you know that he is considered to be one of Nigeria’s most talented comic characters in Nollywood? ...[Read more]
- Man Shares Horrific Tale After Escaping From Ritualist DenA 27-year-old man has escaped death by its whiskers after he was attacked by a suspected ritual killer in Ibadan, the Oyo state capital. It was gathered that the incident happened in the early ...[Read more]
- Ini Edo set Instagram on Fire with her no makeup photoThe Nigerian Actress Ini Edo has shared a no Make up Photo of her self. Meanwhile, the actress was recently in the News after she claim she has been depressed for sometime now. The beautiful actress ...[Read more]
Join The Discussion👇🏾
- on Kim Kardashian struggles to get into gold latex outfit and is said to end her reality tv show soon nice outfit,but sad to learn she will call off the reality tv show soo…
- on BBNaija: See What Nengi Found Under Her Bed That Ozo Left For Her A very big love
- on “I Can’t Remember When I Had A S3kz With Any Man, So I Didn’t Know I Was Pregnant ” – 17-year-old Girl Whose Newborn Was Allegedly Buried Alive Claims The traditional healer in whose Hafsat spent months in his house shoul…
- on FG cries out, says IPOB bent on destroying Nigeria THE LASTING SOLUTION TO NIGERIA IS UNITED STATE OF BIAFRA PERIOD .BUHA…
- on IPOB warns of continuous killing of members by security operatives Well for me ipob is for freedom
- on FG cries out, says IPOB bent on destroying Nigeria Are You sleeping when kanu said he will destroy Nigeria with truth. If…
- on ‘I Feel Beautiful When I Do Braids’- Tiwa Savage Reveals As She Shows Off New Hairstyle (PHOTO) Timeless beauty ageless too she is always pretty
- on BBNaija: “Ozo’s Family Doesn’t Want Nengi”- See What His Sister Posted Online That Got People Talking What ozo sister did is wrong. Why would she say that forgetting that N…
- on Breaking!!! Kanu Promises to Drop Biafra Agitation on One Condition Rape: (Apart from people who rape with occuitic power with small girl…
- on #BBNaija: “I’m a big fan, this guy sweet die” – Mercy Eke gushes over Prince (Video) Med oooo🤨🤨🤨😁😁🤣🤣🤣🤣