A New Mexico teen died from cancer after his parents didn’t seek life-saving treatment for him until it was too late — because they didn’t have health insurance, authorities said.
Ramiro Miranda-Urias, 14, was 68 pounds and had an undiagnosed tumor that took up nearly the entire left side of his torso when he was brought to Presbyterian Santa Fe Medical Center on Sept. 7, the Santa Fe New Mexican reported.
He was transferred Thursday to another hospital in Alberquerque, where doctors determined that it would have taken six to twelve months for the cancer to reach such a severe stage, according to the Albuquerque Journal.
The ninth-grade student died the same night, with doctors noting that he could’ve survived if got help sooner.
“He will die from this because his family didn’t bring him to care,” one doctor wrote, according to the court documents. “It’s hideous and atrocious. His mother has killed him.”
Police began an investigation in the wake of his death after the hospital alerted them about potential abuse.
His mom, Maria Urias-Astorga, 53, told authorities that she first noticed a bump about a month ago on the side of his head.
But his mom said she typically cared for him using herbal remedies and that they hadn’t taken him to the doctor in two years because they couldn’t afford to pay for health insurance.
The boy’s father, Ramiro Miranda-Quiñonez, 54, echoed similar sentiments about the boy’s health, adding that they rarely took their son to the doctor because he always seemed “fine.”
Ramiro said he noticed the teen, who played basketball and attended dance classes, became more lethargic in May.
Then last month, he began complaining of knee and hip aches, prompting him to walk on his tiptoes to alleviate the pain.
The teen then began vomiting several times a day, losing weight and struggling to breathe, the outlets reported.
Soon, he was unable to walk and had to be carried from room to room, in addition to requiring assistance to go to the bathroom.
The mom also told authorities she noticed a bruise on her son’s chest Sept. 5, but that it didn’t seem worthy of medical attention.
Both of the parents were arrested Friday on a charge of child abuse resulting in death, the outlets reported. They remained in jail Monday each on $10,000 bond.
New York Post
- Premier League: Liverpool Continue Impressive Start With Win Over ArsenalADVERTISEMENT Liverpool made it three wins in three Premier League games after they beat Arsenal 3-1 on Monday evening. In an entertaining match played at Anfield, Arsenal led through Lacazette in ...[Read more]
- ‘Don’t Dwell On The Negatives’ – Ini EdoADVERTISEMENT Popular Nollywood actress, Ini Edo has shared a piece of advice to her fans and other social media post. She used her post to urge her fans to keep moving and never to dwell on the ...[Read more]
- Veteran gospel minstrels deliver sprit-filled performance at Women In Worship 2020The 2020 Women In Worship themed ‘Alpha and Omega’ came off on Sunday, September 20 at the UPSA Auditorium with over 500 patrons gracing the occasion. – Advertisement – At their arrival, ...[Read more]
- Akuapem Poloo Shares Photo Of Her Mum And Son With An Interesting CaptionADVERTISEMENT Actress and social media influencer, Akuapem Poloo, has shared a lovely photo of her mum and her son during her visit to them. The influencer shared photo of her two loves and as usual ...[Read more]
- SEE The Expensive Dress Stonebwoy’s Wife, Dr. Louisa Wore To The Naming Ceremony Of Rev. Obofour’s Triplets – PHOTOSADVERTISEMENT Wife of award-winning Ghanaian dancehall artiste, Stonebwoy, Dr. Louisa was one of the high-profiled people who attended the naming ceremony of Rev. Obofour’s triplets. Truth be told, ...[Read more]
- Keche Andrew And His Wife Come Back With Another Flex On Social MediaADVERTISEMENT Keche Andrew and wife, madam Joana have hit back on social media with their lovy dovy photo as they step out. The two sometime back were all over the news for one reason or the other, ...[Read more]
- NYC threatens lockdown Tuesday for COVID-19 hot spotsNew York City officials are threatening to impose a sweeping lockdown starting Tuesday on neighborhoods with soaring COVID-19 infection rates. City Hall higher-ups were huddling Monday to review ...[Read more]
- Sarkodie Puts His Multi-million Dollar Living Room On Display & Fans Are Shocked – VIDEOADVERTISEMENT Ghana’s Artiste of the Decade, Michael Owusu Addo who is widely known as Sarkodie flaunted his multi-million dollar living room. Fans and other social media users who have seen it have ...[Read more]
- Chiefs Vs. Ravens Live Stream: How To Watch ‘Monday Night Football’ Live on ESPNThe Baltimore Ravens host the Kansas City Chiefs on Monday Night Football! It doesn’t get much better than this. It’s 2018 NFL MVP Patrick Mahomes taking on 2019 NFL MVP Lamar Jackson as the 2-0 ...[Read more]
- NYC vote counters can’t even keep track of their tablets: DOI probeHere’s one more thing the Board of Elections can’t count! The Big Apple’s scandal-marred elections agency failed to keep track of the thousands of computer tablets it uses for poll books, to train ...[Read more]
- Indians scouting report: What should worry the YankeesThe Indians arguably have the best starter (Shane Bieber over Gerrit Cole), best player (Jose Ramirez over DJ LeMahieu) and best reliever (James Karichnak over Aroldis Chapman) in their best-of-three ...[Read more]
- Abeiku Santana & Wife Celebrate 7th Wedding Anniversary With Adorable Throwback PhotosADVERTISEMENT Ace broadcaster, Abeiku Santana and his wife, Genevieve are celebrating their 7th wedding anniversary. He has shared some awesome throwback photos to make the whole experience an ...[Read more]
- Google gives Netflix, Spotify a year to start paying app store feesGoogle is done playing Mr. Nice Guy. The search giant on Monday said it will no longer give high-profile app developers a pass on its 30-percent app store fee starting next year. Google said it will ...[Read more]
- Rev Obofour & Wife Finally Show Faces Of Their Triplets (PHOTOS)ADVERTISEMENT Ghanaian cleric, Rev. Obofour, and his lovely wife, Ciara Antwi have shown the faces of their triplets. This comes after they held the christening ceremony for them over the weekend. ...[Read more]
- ‘Big Win For Nigeria’: Fireboy DML, Rema And Burnaboy Feature In FIFA 21 SoundtrackADVERTISEMENT Nigerian music has come a long way as Fireboy DML, Rema And Burnaboy have earned a spot in the FIFA 21 soundtrack list. Fireboy Dml made his entrance with his music titled ...[Read more]
Join The Discussion👇🏾
- on Ini Edo Gets People Worried After Sharing What Her Face Looks Like Currently – PHOTOS I just wish you would trust me to be of assistance Exotic queens beaut…
- on Ini Edo Gets People Worried After Sharing What Her Face Looks Like Currently – PHOTOS Buy Norland paste then rob it 40 mims before each bath
- on FG cries out, says IPOB bent on destroying Nigeria THE LASTING SOLUTION TO NIGERIA IS UNITED STATE OF BIAFRA PERIOD .BUHA…
- on IPOB warns of continuous killing of members by security operatives Well for me ipob is for freedom
- on FG cries out, says IPOB bent on destroying Nigeria Are You sleeping when kanu said he will destroy Nigeria with truth. If…
- on ‘I Feel Beautiful When I Do Braids’- Tiwa Savage Reveals As She Shows Off New Hairstyle (PHOTO) Timeless beauty ageless too she is always pretty
- on BBNaija: “Ozo’s Family Doesn’t Want Nengi”- See What His Sister Posted Online That Got People Talking What ozo sister did is wrong. Why would she say that forgetting that N…
- on Breaking!!! Kanu Promises to Drop Biafra Agitation on One Condition Rape: (Apart from people who rape with occuitic power with small girl…
- on #BBNaija: “I’m a big fan, this guy sweet die” – Mercy Eke gushes over Prince (Video) Med oooo🤨🤨🤨😁😁🤣🤣🤣🤣
- on Laycon Finally Makes Housemates Understand Why He Wears Sweater And Socks 24/7 And It’s Heartbreaking- See Reactions From Nigerians Aww sorry laycon