PEN15 has stealthily joined the likes of Broad City and Insecure as a prime example for how female friendship and women-led comedies have become some of the most hilarious and inventive shows of the last few years.
The Hulu Original comedy series, the second season of which drops on September 17, features two women in their early 30s (Maya Erskine and Anna Konkle) playing versions of themselves as seventh graders in the year 2000 amongst actors who are actually middle school-aged; the show’s unabashed weirdness is something to admire.
For years and years we’ve seen men get to be the zany and ridiculous ones in comedy (re: any “Frat Pack” movie, many-an Adam Sandler project, heck, even those rascals Tom and Jerry!), but it’s not often that you see two women embracing the most embarrassing and strange aspects of themselves and owning it so perfectly that they spin the horrors of middle school into something delightfully unique and their own. And at the center of it all is the friendship between Maya and Anna, which is so pure and real, so that even though these characters are seen as losers and oddballs by their peers, they’re buoyed by each other and their friendship, getting them through everything from trying their first beer to underwear theft. Together.
The show’s sophomore season looks to be every bit as hilarious, absurd, and heartfelt as its first, and is already garnering positive buzz and reviews. Collider recently wrote that the new season feels even more emotionally developed and nuanced than its premiere season, praising, in particular, the “in-the-pocket, fully-felt, specific performances” of its two stars, adding that “Konkle and Erskine have stepped it up big time for Season 2.” In another article, The Washington Post celebrated this show “about two women allowing themselves to completely love the girls they once were, faults and all,” and the expert work of Konkle and Erskine. Plus, we at Decider have been loving this show ever since it first dropped, labeling its leading ladies as two of the 12 breakout tv stars of 2019 and PEN15 as one of the top 20 shows of 2019.
No matter where you look, the source of the show’s praise and success can be traced back to Maya Erskine and Anna Konkle. Not only does their real-life friendship (not quite since middle school, but they have been tight since college!) translate into beautiful and believable on-screen chemistry, but the performances themselves are so studied and true of middle schoolers, from the way they speak down to the way they dress and carry themselves, that as the show goes on you honestly begin to forget that they’re older than the kids around them. PEN15 is driven by its relationships, primarily that of Maya and Anna, but also Maya and her mother (played by her real-life mom, Mutsuko Erskine), which have strong bases in reality outside of the show. Because of this, PEN15 becomes so much more than two women leading in a comedy with a wacky premise: it is an honest and loving glimpse into the lives of people who feel unabashedly real, even when it’s awkward or embarrassing, just regular people that could have been you or me as our own middle school selves.
PEN15 truly is a special gem of a show led by two unique and brilliant women, and its second season is poised to exemplify just how wonderful Erskine and Konkle really are, but in brand new ways. Even though Season 2’s events begin a mere two days after the Season 1 finale, Maya and Anna are different, having been (in their opinions, at least) transformed into Women while having their breasts touched for the first time by a boy, Brandt, at the same time at their middle school dance. They feel changed, but will these newer versions of themselves buckle in the face of the fallout of Anna’s parents’ divorce, trying to deal with new romantic entanglements and pursuits, a new girl trying to turn their longtime duo into a trio, and a whole host of situations that will try to break the two girls apart? I’ve got a hunch that when it comes to Maya and Anna, there’s not much of anything that could keep these two BFFs apart for long. But hey, the only way to know for sure is by watching PEN15: Season 2 on Hulu when its first seven (of 14) episodes drops on September 18th (that’s tomorrow!), so don’t miss out on this testament to female friendship and comedic talent.
Watch PEN15 on Hulu
New York Post
- Reactions As Nigeria Lesbians Flaunt Partners On TwitterA Nigerian lesbian known as Amara has taken to the micro-blogging platform to flaunt her partner and another lesbian couple. Amara revealed that the loved up photo is very important as she ...[Read more]
- Shut up if you have nothing to say – Bernard Aduse – Poku blasts Sound Engineer over Kumerica commentsGhanaian sound engineer, Wei Ye Oteng has been backlashed by some industry players for saying that the Kumerica initiative will amount to nothing. – Advertisement – Oteng took to his ...[Read more]
- Heroic landmine detection rat wins top UK animal bravery awardSay “cheese,” Magawa! This 7-year-old giant African pouched rat on Friday was awarded a British veterinary charity’s top civilian award for animal bravery after sniffing out unexploded landmines in ...[Read more]
- Duo allegedly planned terror attacks targeting Trump Tower, other sites: fedsTwo men allegedly plotted terror attacks on high-profile US targets, including at Trump Tower and the New York Stock Exchange, where they claimed the destruction would be “Netflix worthy” and earn ...[Read more]
- Bethenny Frankel says she’s tried to get black women on ‘RHONY’Bethenny Frankel claims she tried hard to get women of color on the “Real Housewives of New York.” While appearing on “Watch What Happens Live” on Thursday, the Skinnygirl mogul chatted with host ...[Read more]
- New Movies on Demand: ‘Misbehaviour,’ ‘Stuntwomen,’ ‘Ava’ + MoreHappy Friday, everyone! Not only is it Friday, but it is also the start of every basic girl’s favorite season: fall. Time to bring out the Uggs, light those cinnamon-apple-scented candles and burrow ...[Read more]
- Jerry Seinfeld can’t let go of his big issue with Mets boothWhat’s the deal with “final strike” calls? Jerry Seinfeld wants to know after he was evidently watching the Mets on Thursday night and once again picked a bone with Gary Cohen about the SNY ...[Read more]
- Nigerian Lady flees with N2million given to her by fiance to plan their WeddingA Nigerian man has taken to Twitter to narrate how his uncle’s fiancé fled with the N2million deposited in her account to plan their wedding. The Twitter user, Spendo Gustavo disclosed that his uncle ...[Read more]
- “Signs Of Depression”- Fan Reacts After Regina Daniels Was Spotted Doing This (VIDEO)ADVERTISEMENT A Nigerian lady has raised suspicions about what would possibly be happening to Nollywood actress and mother, Regina Daniels that I think is a concern. The lady identified as ...[Read more]
- Why birds are singing a ‘sexier’ song during COVID-19 lockdownQuarantine has made birds more sultry. The coronavirus shutdown has had a huge, unintended but generally positive impact on nature — including, new research has found, making birds sing softer, ...[Read more]
- Virginia Gov. Ralph Northam, wife test positive for coronavirusVirginia Gov. Ralph Northam and his wife, Pamela, have tested positive for COVID-19, the governor’s office said Friday. The Democratic governor and first lady received nasal swab tests Thursday ...[Read more]
- This service guarantees to make your knives sharper than the day you bought themKeeping your social distance by cooking at home? Then you need a set of razor-sharp knives that can help you get the job done. Why? Because, frankly, sharp knives work better. If you have ever tried ...[Read more]
- State of the ‘Walking Dead’: Scott M. Gimple on the Future of the FranchiseThis was supposed to be a huge year for The Walking Dead. Entering the second decade of the franchise, AMC was — and is — expanding beyond the mothership show and Fear the Walking Dead to ...[Read more]
- Social media users react as lesbian couples pose for a photo in LagosSocial media users have reacted to this photo of two lesbian couples taken at a gay retreat held in Lagos, Nigeria. A lady identified as Amara, with Twitter handle @the_amarion shared ...[Read more]
- US senators urge Netflix to drop Chinese sci-fi series over author’s comments on UighersLOS ANGELES – Five Republican US senators have urged Netflix to reconsider plans to adapt a Chinese science-fiction book trilogy into a TV series because they said the author has defended the Chinese ...[Read more]
Join The Discussion👇🏾
- on Nigerian Man Shows Giant Monitor Lizard His Cousin Killed In His Farm- Readies For Pepper Soup- Photos I wish you people know the medical importantance of this Gila lizard.
- on CEO Of Mike Cars Threatens To Beat Bobrisky Anywhere They Meet As They Fight Dirty Over Fulfilling Erica’s Promise Nice one
- on APC Finally Speaks On Reports Of Oshiomhole’s Expulsion From Party Remove him now and I advice him to go to village and start up farming…
- on UEFA announces final three-man shortlist for Men’s Player of the Year [Full list] De Bruyne is from Belgium not Portuguese
- on Two Pastors R a p e 27-year Old Female Corps Member During Prayer Session In Rivers State This is So sad 😢
- on BBNaija: See What Nengi Found Under Her Bed That Ozo Left For Her Your respect for him wasn't enough when he's around, o don't think the…
- on BBNaija: See What Nengi Found Under Her Bed That Ozo Left For Her Ozo is a loving guy, I love the fact that he show how much he loves Ne…
- on BBNaija: See What Nengi Found Under Her Bed That Ozo Left For Her Whao! That's a great show of love from Ozo part. That's so thoughtful…
- on Bola Tinubu Reacts To APC’s Defeat In Edo State The National Leader of the APC, Ahmed Bola Tinubu, chose a good title…
- on Bola Tinubu Reacts To APC’s Defeat In Edo State Thank God you know that