China is treating tens of thousands of its citizens with experimental coronavirus vaccines that have not had completed standard testing — raising concerns about safety.
In July, China launched a vaccine emergency use program offering three experimental shots developed by a unit of state pharmaceutical giant China National Pharmaceutical Group (Sinopharm) and biopharmaceutical company Sinovac Biotech.
The vaccines were aimed to protect essential workers, including those in the medical field, transportation industry and grocery store workers.
But now, China National Biotec Group — the Sinopharm unit developing two of the emergency use vaccines — and Sinovac Biotech have confirmed that at least tens of thousands of people have been jabbed with the untested inoculations.
Among those who received an early shot was the chief biosafety expert for the country’s Center for Disease Control and Prevention.
“So far, among the people who were vaccinated, no one has been sick with the disease,” Guizhen Wu said on state TV this week, while also revealing she had received a vaccination in April.
“So far, [the vaccination scheme] works very well. No side effect occurred.”
A fourth COVID-19 vaccine being developed by CanSino Biologics was also approved for use by the Chinese military in June.
At least some of the vaccines would be ready for public use as early as November, Wu said.
Meanwhile, experts in Western countries have warned against green-lighting the emergency use of vaccines that have not completed testing due to a lack of knowledge about longer-term effectiveness and potential side effects.
Anna Durbin, a vaccine researcher at Johns Hopkins University, called China’s emergency use program as “very problematic.”
“You’re vaccinating people and you don’t know if it’s going to protect them,” Durbin told Reuters.
Russia is among the few other countries to authorize the use of an experimental vaccine, making its own “Sputnik V” vaccine mandatory for certain groups, including teachers.
And this week, the United Arab Emirates authorized the emergency use of a Sinopharm vaccine, resulting in the first international emergency clearance for one of China’s vaccines.
New York Post
- Premier League: Liverpool Continue Impressive Start With Win Over ArsenalADVERTISEMENT Liverpool made it three wins in three Premier League games after they beat Arsenal 3-1 on Monday evening. In an entertaining match played at Anfield, Arsenal led through Lacazette in ...[Read more]
- ‘Don’t Dwell On The Negatives’ – Ini EdoADVERTISEMENT Popular Nollywood actress, Ini Edo has shared a piece of advice to her fans and other social media post. She used her post to urge her fans to keep moving and never to dwell on the ...[Read more]
- Veteran gospel minstrels deliver sprit-filled performance at Women In Worship 2020The 2020 Women In Worship themed ‘Alpha and Omega’ came off on Sunday, September 20 at the UPSA Auditorium with over 500 patrons gracing the occasion. – Advertisement – At their arrival, ...[Read more]
- Akuapem Poloo Shares Photo Of Her Mum And Son With An Interesting CaptionADVERTISEMENT Actress and social media influencer, Akuapem Poloo, has shared a lovely photo of her mum and her son during her visit to them. The influencer shared photo of her two loves and as usual ...[Read more]
- SEE The Expensive Dress Stonebwoy’s Wife, Dr. Louisa Wore To The Naming Ceremony Of Rev. Obofour’s Triplets – PHOTOSADVERTISEMENT Wife of award-winning Ghanaian dancehall artiste, Stonebwoy, Dr. Louisa was one of the high-profiled people who attended the naming ceremony of Rev. Obofour’s triplets. Truth be told, ...[Read more]
- Keche Andrew And His Wife Come Back With Another Flex On Social MediaADVERTISEMENT Keche Andrew and wife, madam Joana have hit back on social media with their lovy dovy photo as they step out. The two sometime back were all over the news for one reason or the other, ...[Read more]
- NYC threatens lockdown Tuesday for COVID-19 hot spotsNew York City officials are threatening to impose a sweeping lockdown starting Tuesday on neighborhoods with soaring COVID-19 infection rates. City Hall higher-ups were huddling Monday to review ...[Read more]
- Sarkodie Puts His Multi-million Dollar Living Room On Display & Fans Are Shocked – VIDEOADVERTISEMENT Ghana’s Artiste of the Decade, Michael Owusu Addo who is widely known as Sarkodie flaunted his multi-million dollar living room. Fans and other social media users who have seen it have ...[Read more]
- Chiefs Vs. Ravens Live Stream: How To Watch ‘Monday Night Football’ Live on ESPNThe Baltimore Ravens host the Kansas City Chiefs on Monday Night Football! It doesn’t get much better than this. It’s 2018 NFL MVP Patrick Mahomes taking on 2019 NFL MVP Lamar Jackson as the 2-0 ...[Read more]
- NYC vote counters can’t even keep track of their tablets: DOI probeHere’s one more thing the Board of Elections can’t count! The Big Apple’s scandal-marred elections agency failed to keep track of the thousands of computer tablets it uses for poll books, to train ...[Read more]
- Indians scouting report: What should worry the YankeesThe Indians arguably have the best starter (Shane Bieber over Gerrit Cole), best player (Jose Ramirez over DJ LeMahieu) and best reliever (James Karichnak over Aroldis Chapman) in their best-of-three ...[Read more]
- Abeiku Santana & Wife Celebrate 7th Wedding Anniversary With Adorable Throwback PhotosADVERTISEMENT Ace broadcaster, Abeiku Santana and his wife, Genevieve are celebrating their 7th wedding anniversary. He has shared some awesome throwback photos to make the whole experience an ...[Read more]
- Google gives Netflix, Spotify a year to start paying app store feesGoogle is done playing Mr. Nice Guy. The search giant on Monday said it will no longer give high-profile app developers a pass on its 30-percent app store fee starting next year. Google said it will ...[Read more]
- Rev Obofour & Wife Finally Show Faces Of Their Triplets (PHOTOS)ADVERTISEMENT Ghanaian cleric, Rev. Obofour, and his lovely wife, Ciara Antwi have shown the faces of their triplets. This comes after they held the christening ceremony for them over the weekend. ...[Read more]
- ‘Big Win For Nigeria’: Fireboy DML, Rema And Burnaboy Feature In FIFA 21 SoundtrackADVERTISEMENT Nigerian music has come a long way as Fireboy DML, Rema And Burnaboy have earned a spot in the FIFA 21 soundtrack list. Fireboy Dml made his entrance with his music titled ...[Read more]
Join The Discussion👇🏾
- on Ini Edo Gets People Worried After Sharing What Her Face Looks Like Currently – PHOTOS I just wish you would trust me to be of assistance Exotic queens beaut…
- on Ini Edo Gets People Worried After Sharing What Her Face Looks Like Currently – PHOTOS Buy Norland paste then rob it 40 mims before each bath
- on FG cries out, says IPOB bent on destroying Nigeria THE LASTING SOLUTION TO NIGERIA IS UNITED STATE OF BIAFRA PERIOD .BUHA…
- on IPOB warns of continuous killing of members by security operatives Well for me ipob is for freedom
- on FG cries out, says IPOB bent on destroying Nigeria Are You sleeping when kanu said he will destroy Nigeria with truth. If…
- on ‘I Feel Beautiful When I Do Braids’- Tiwa Savage Reveals As She Shows Off New Hairstyle (PHOTO) Timeless beauty ageless too she is always pretty
- on BBNaija: “Ozo’s Family Doesn’t Want Nengi”- See What His Sister Posted Online That Got People Talking What ozo sister did is wrong. Why would she say that forgetting that N…
- on Breaking!!! Kanu Promises to Drop Biafra Agitation on One Condition Rape: (Apart from people who rape with occuitic power with small girl…
- on #BBNaija: “I’m a big fan, this guy sweet die” – Mercy Eke gushes over Prince (Video) Med oooo🤨🤨🤨😁😁🤣🤣🤣🤣
- on Laycon Finally Makes Housemates Understand Why He Wears Sweater And Socks 24/7 And It’s Heartbreaking- See Reactions From Nigerians Aww sorry laycon