Take a close look at Tiger Woods this week at Winged Foot.
Enjoy him while he’s here, because this week’s U.S. Open may be one of the last times Woods plays a tournament in the New York metro area.
There won’t be another U.S. Open here until 2026, when Shinnecock Hills hosts again, and Woods will be 50.
The 2022 PGA Championship is scheduled for Trump National in Bedminster, N.J., and the PGA Tour’s Northern Trust FedExCup event returns to Liberty National in Jersey City next year.
That’s about it, though.
Tiger sightings in New York will be rare, which makes it a particular shame that no spectators will be permitted at Winged Foot this week with COVID-19 protocols to get perhaps one final up-close look at one of the greatest players of all time.
Add to that the fact that Woods plays so few tournaments now, protecting his surgically repaired back, and seeing him playing in New York figures to be rare, if at all, after this week.
At age 44, Woods’ form has been completely lacking entering this week — particularly since the PGA Tour restarted its season after the pandemic pause. He’s played in four events since the pause and not been within a sniff of contention once.
In his last event, he finished tied for 51st at the BMW Championship after tying for 58th at the Northern Trust at 6-under par on the same course where Dustin Johnson won at 30-under. Before that, he tied for 37th at the PGA Championship after tying for 40th at the Memorial, which he used to win in his sleep.
Add to that indifferent form the fact that Winged Foot figures to be one of the sternest challenges the players have faced all year — or in years — that doesn’t bode very well for Woods even making it to the weekend.
“This golf course is going to be one of the more difficult ones,’’ Woods said after playing a practice round with Justin Thomas on Tuesday. “The winning scores here have never traditionally been very low. I don’t see that changing this week. The golf course is going to be hard. It depends on how difficult they want to set up these pins, give us a chance at it. But with the forecast, it’s going to be difficult no matter what.
“It’s right up there next to Oakmont and I think Carnoustie as far as just sheer difficulty without even doing anything to it. I think those three golf courses, they can host major championships without ever doing anything to them.’’
Since he won the Zozo Championship in October 2019, what’s been missing for Woods this year?
“I really haven’t putted as well as I wanted to, and the times I did make a few swing mistakes, I missed it in the wrong spots,’’ Woods said. “I’ve compounded mistakes here and there that ended up not making me able to make pars or a birdie run, and consequently I haven’t put myself in contention to win events.’’
Translation: Woods’ superpowers are gone. Long gone.
And, the rest of the players — the PGA Tour is deeper with talent and athletic ability than it’s ever been — have caught up to Woods. No one is intimidated by Woods the way his peers used to be. Many of today’s stars are fearlessly boat-racing him now.
To be fair: Age has caught up to Woods, as it does to everybody.
Age, of course, is the only undefeated force in sports.
“It gets harder to win as we all age,’’ Woods said.
Woods comes to Winged Foot 14 years after missing the cut in the 2006 U.S. Open. He’d just lost his father, Earl, to cancer weeks before and was mentally not even close to in it.
“I was not prepared to play and still dealing with the death of my dad,’’ he said. “When I didn’t win the Masters that year, that was really tough to take because that was the last event my dad was ever going to watch me play. He passed not too long after that, and quite frankly, when I got ready for this event, I didn’t really put in the time, I didn’t really put in the practice, and consequently missed the cut pretty easily.’’
For the sake of New York-area fans who may not get many — if any — opportunities to see him play again in the area, perhaps Woods makes the cut this week, gets four rounds in and possibly even contends.
Enjoy it while it lasts.
New York Post
- What Solskjaer said about Pogba after Man Utd’s 3-0 win over BrightonManchester United Manager, Ole Gunnar Solskjaer, has said that midfielder, Paul Pogba, has been ‘annoying’ him to take a portion of the Red Devils’ free kicks for quite a while. ...[Read more]
- See The Shocking Reason Why Chelsea’s New Signing Timo Werner Refused To Take Part In The Penalty Shootout Against TottenhamRecently Timo Werner who happens to be Chelsea’s new signing turned down a chance to take a penalty shootout as the Blues were knocked out of the competition after the game with Tottenham went into ...[Read more]
- #Nigeria60AndUseless Trend Number One On Social Media As Nigeria Gives Reason Why No One Should Celebrate The Country’s IndependenceMany Nigerians has taken to Twitter to express anger and disappointment over the state of Nation as the country mark 60th independence day anniversary. See some Tweets below; 60 years of independence ...[Read more]
- Davido Buys Lamborghini Worth 200million (+Video)Popular Nigerian musician, Davido has just bought a new Lamborghini alleged to be worth about 200 million naira. Davido shared videos and pictures of his new whip on his Instastory on Wednesday ...[Read more]
- Nepotism: PENCOM Appointments Cause Uproar In Senate After Buhari Announced Aisha Umar As Director-GeneralGuardian reported that fresh appointments to fill vacancies in the National Pension Commission (PenCom) caused pandemonium among legislators on the floor of the Senate yesterday. Senators across ...[Read more]
- Why I Haven’t Married Chioma – Davido RevealsNigerian music star, David Adeleke AKA Davido has blamed the coronavirus pandemic for the delay in getting married to his fiancee, Chef Chioma. Davido in a viral interview on Wednesday said he would ...[Read more]
- what a shame couple, Instagram user reacts to Regina Daniels new picture on InstagramAn Instagram user made an unnecessary comment after seeing these beautiful family photos shared by the young actress Regina Daniel on her Instagram handle. Regina shared the photos with the caption; ...[Read more]
- Let me wear and enjoy my wrist watch in peace!, Peter Okoye finally replies critics over the fake wrist watchThe Popular Nigerian musician, Peter Okoye has replied after he was accused of wearing a fake Richard Mille wristwatch. Peter Okoye responds Peter in a now deleted post on his Instagram page urged ...[Read more]
- I have been depressed-Ini Edo, the reason will shock youPopular Nollywood actress, Ini Edo has revealed to the public that she has been depressed for a couple of days as her skin is going through a tough period. The actress went further to explain on ...[Read more]
- Meet The Top 10 Biafran Soldiers Who Fought Alongside OjukwuBiafra throughout the years has spoken to the patriot yearnings of the Igbo individuals whose administration felt they could no longer exist together with the Northern-ruled national government. The ...[Read more]
- 2020 Technologies and producers that will blow you mindThe best smart home devices of 2020 Amazon and Google are in great competition to control your house. Here are the smart home products that are most worth your time in 2020. If you’ve already ...[Read more]
- Watch Video of Kiddwaya’s “bad behaviour” when Laycon was being presented a carReactions have poured on Twitter on how Kiddwaya behaved when Laycon was being presented a brand-new car. During the presentation of the car to Laycon, Kiddwaya came from nowhere to interrupt. He ...[Read more]
- Sad: Moment SHS Students Returning From NSMQ Involved In An AccidentIts that time of the year again and as usual the National Science and Maths Quiz (NSMQ)has been organized again. Newzandar learnt that four students who were returning from the NSMQ have been ...[Read more]
- PO Donkor wins Gospel Song of the Year awardVersatile gospel musician, PO Kwabenya Donkor’s “shine on me” song won him an award at the just ended Western Music Awards (WMA) held in Takoradi. – Advertisement – The military officer ...[Read more]
- Kim Kardashian struggles to get into gold latex outfit and is said to end her reality tv show soonReality TV queen Kim Kardashian has struggled to get into a gold latex outfit in a new clip from Keeping Up With The Kardashians. The segment was posted by her younger sister Khloe Kardashian ...[Read more]
Join The Discussion👇🏾
- on Kim Kardashian struggles to get into gold latex outfit and is said to end her reality tv show soon nice outfit,but sad to learn she will call off the reality tv show soo…
- on BBNaija: See What Nengi Found Under Her Bed That Ozo Left For Her A very big love
- on “I Can’t Remember When I Had A S3kz With Any Man, So I Didn’t Know I Was Pregnant ” – 17-year-old Girl Whose Newborn Was Allegedly Buried Alive Claims The traditional healer in whose Hafsat spent months in his house shoul…
- on FG cries out, says IPOB bent on destroying Nigeria THE LASTING SOLUTION TO NIGERIA IS UNITED STATE OF BIAFRA PERIOD .BUHA…
- on IPOB warns of continuous killing of members by security operatives Well for me ipob is for freedom
- on FG cries out, says IPOB bent on destroying Nigeria Are You sleeping when kanu said he will destroy Nigeria with truth. If…
- on ‘I Feel Beautiful When I Do Braids’- Tiwa Savage Reveals As She Shows Off New Hairstyle (PHOTO) Timeless beauty ageless too she is always pretty
- on BBNaija: “Ozo’s Family Doesn’t Want Nengi”- See What His Sister Posted Online That Got People Talking What ozo sister did is wrong. Why would she say that forgetting that N…
- on Breaking!!! Kanu Promises to Drop Biafra Agitation on One Condition Rape: (Apart from people who rape with occuitic power with small girl…
- on #BBNaija: “I’m a big fan, this guy sweet die” – Mercy Eke gushes over Prince (Video) Med oooo🤨🤨🤨😁😁🤣🤣🤣🤣