Remote learning was off to a fine crash-and-burn Wednesday, with big problems all across the city. Worse yet, many teachers are determined not to show when in-person schooling resumes in a few days — under any condition. Mayor de Blasio nonetheless vows schools will open Monday. He needs to stand tough.
“The mayor’s reopening plan is not safe,” huffed a teachers-union caucus, the Movement of Rank and File Educators. It blasted the city for “inadequate contact tracing and a lack of transparency” and threatened that teachers wouldn’t return until they’re satisfied — which looks like never.
United Federation of Teachers boss Mike Mulgrew cited a “major staffing challenge.” The city is adding 2,000 teachers, but principals-union head Mark Cannizzaro says 10,000 are needed. Indeed, the hapless Department of Education dropped the news late Tuesday that roughly half the children slated for “blended” learning may have no direct contact with a teacher on days when they’re logged in from home.
It’s a mess. This is a system, after all, run by a race-obsessed chancellor whose hires have left the bureaucracy even more inept than usual.
But the city is taking countless steps to make schools safe. It set up testing routines, contact tracing, ventilation procedures, hybrid schedules and numerous other measures. Kids whose parents have concerns can opt for online instruction only. Teachers with serious medical issues can get exemptions.
As for the “staffing challenge,” de Blasio got it right: “I’ve never met a manager [who] didn’t want . . . more personnel,” he snarked Tuesday. If gaps remain, he said, his folks will address them. That’s eminently reasonable, yet not good enough for some teachers and union leaders.
What a contrast from, say, health-care providers, police or transit workers — all of whom reported for duty at the pandemic’s height despite sky-high infection rates and triple-digit daily death tolls. This week, the infection rate has been below 1 percent; Monday’s death toll: seven. Of 17,000 school officials tested, only 55 (i.e., 0.32 percent) were positive.
Meanwhile, online-only learning remains a virtual joke. Teachers spend much of the day just getting students to log on and pay attention — and that’s when the system can avoid the glitches that plagued the first day of school. Many parents are counting on kids in school at least part-time so they themselves can work.
Another delay would mean cheating children of anything close to a real education, while wreaking havoc on their parents’ lives.
De Blasio admits the system won’t be perfect. And some teachers and kids will contract the virus.
Some “will test positive,” he noted, and they’ll “immediately get support.” Infected students will “go home for two weeks,” and then come back and complete the school year. “For the very small percentage of people who test positive for the coronavirus, it is a very temporary reality.”
He’s absolutely right, even if it’s politically incorrect to say. As the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention reports, 94 percent of COVID deaths have involved people with an average of 2.6 other conditions; 92 percent were 55 or older, an age when many teachers have already retired. Younger people often don’t get sick or, if they do, recover quickly.
So what happened to “follow the science”? Doctors and scientists (the American Academy of Pediatrics, for example) stress that the benefits of in-person school outweigh the dangers of COVID. Fact is, it’s vital to get kids out of the house, away from screens and back in class.
De Blasio vows the system will open for in-person instruction Monday. Yet he also promised they’d open Sept. 10, before caving. For the sake of the kids, parents — and science — he best not buckle again.
New York Post
- BBNaija: “Ozo is a forq boy, whatever is between me and him is over” – NengiBig brother Naija housemate, Nengi has slammed her friend Ozo for ignoring her at their party last night. She tagged him a f*ck boy as she wept bitterly called it quits with whatever friendship they ...[Read more]
- Ghanaian military lesbian couple who got married detained, facing court-martialA Ghanaian military lesbian couple who got married over the weekend, have reportedly been detained and facing court-martial. – Advertisement – In the videos shared online before their ...[Read more]
- Government Of Ghana Secures Amended Terms With CENIT Energy LimitedADVERTISEMENT Government of Ghana and CENIT Energy Limited (CEL), a Ghanaian independent power producer, have successfully secured terms for an amended Power Purchase Agreement (PPA). Per the ...[Read more]
- BBNaija: If Nengi Moves To Laycon After The Show, Nobody Should Say It’s For The Money – Fan SaysADVERTISEMENT A BBNaija fan has disclosed that the possibility of Nengi moving over to Laycon is very high and when that eventually happens no one should blame her or say it’s because of money. The ...[Read more]
- BBNaija: Erica Trolled For Wearing White To Join The Other Housemates On IG To PartyADVERTISEMENT Disqualified housemate Erica has been trolled on social media for joining her colleague housemates at the all-white party on IG after a video of her slaying in white surfaced. Fans of ...[Read more]
- BBNaija : Ozo has ruined his chances with Nengi — DJ KaywiseBig brother Naija 2020 finalist, Nengi could not hold back tears last night after she was ignored by her closest friend Ozo at their finale Saturday party. The final Saturday night party in this ...[Read more]
- 15KGS Of Cocaine Intercepted At TemaADVERTISEMENT The Narcotics Control Commission (NACOC) have intercepted 152kg of cocaine (15 slabs) in Tema in the Greater Accra Region. According to a statement released by NACOC, it was joint ...[Read more]
- How I Was Led To Christ – Remi Tinubu Speaks On Marrying A MuslimBola Tinubu and wife Remi Tinubu Senator Remi Tinubu has said that being alone with her kids in the US while her husband, Asiwaju Bola Tinubu, was in Nigeria led her to Christ. Reno Tinubu who ...[Read more]
- BBNaija: “I Don’t Mind Being Your Baby Mama” – Laycon’s Ex-Girlfriend Begs For Forgiveness (Photo)ADVERTISEMENT Ogbueni Immaculate Chidimma, an alleged ex-girlfriend of BBNaija housemate, Laycon has taken to social media, begging him to make her his baby mama. READ ALSO: BBNaija: Doctor Reacts To ...[Read more]
- Bishop Oyedepo Celebrated By Wife On 66th BirthdayBishop David Oyedepo and wife, Faith Oyedepo. Photo credit: Instagram. Faith Oyedepo has praised her husband Bishop David Oyedepo of Living Faith Church as he celebrates his 66th birthday today. In a ...[Read more]
- Akufo-Addo sharing Ghana’s money to family and friends – Rex OmarRex Omar, a veteran highlife musician, has accused President Nana Addo Dankwa Akufo-Addo and his NPP government of sharing Ghana’s money to their family and friends. – Advertisement – ...[Read more]
- Ghana Election 2020: How Can You Expand Free “SHS” When You Said Is A Hoax – Bawumia To MahamaADVERTISEMENT The Vice President of the Republic,Dr. Mahamudu Bawumia has stated that Ghanaians should not trust candidate John Mahama on his promise to extend Free “SHS” to private schools because ...[Read more]
- “I Got Star Struck When I Met Damian Marley”- Wizkid Shares His Experience On Working With The Son Of Bob MarleyADVERTISEMENT Nigerian singer Wizkid has revealed that among the tall list of A- list international artistes he has ever worked with, Damian Marley is the one who struck his heart of heart. READ ...[Read more]
- It’s Too Late But I Don’t Mind Being Your Baby Mama’ – Laycon’s Alleged Ex-Girlfriend Says After Dumping HimADVERTISEMENT A Nigerian lady who claims was the girlfriend of Big Brother Naija 2020 finalist, Laycon, has surfaced on social media expressing regret for breaking up with him. According to the lady ...[Read more]
- Bashir Ahmad Denies Using Presidential Jet For WeddingPresidential aide, Bashir Ahmad has denied media reports which accuse him of using the Presidential jet for his wedding. This was after he shared pictures showing he and his friends standing by the ...[Read more]
Join The Discussion👇🏾
- on Breaking!!! Kanu Promises to Drop Biafra Agitation on One Condition Rape: (Apart from people who rape with occuitic power with small girl…
- on #BBNaija: “I’m a big fan, this guy sweet die” – Mercy Eke gushes over Prince (Video) Med oooo🤨🤨🤨😁😁🤣🤣🤣🤣
- on Laycon Finally Makes Housemates Understand Why He Wears Sweater And Socks 24/7 And It’s Heartbreaking- See Reactions From Nigerians Aww sorry laycon
- on Breaking!!! Kanu Promises to Drop Biafra Agitation on One Condition People must knew that lord lugard was not supported south protectorate…
- on Breaking!!! Kanu Promises to Drop Biafra Agitation on One Condition When talking about Muslim, ask for forgiveness from God ,because their…
- on Breaking!!! Kanu Promises to Drop Biafra Agitation on One Condition No body will answer n kanu beco educated people by then are not gain t…
- on Muslim Man Encounters Jesus While Trying To Kill His Christian Cousin We give every glory to God
- on Muslim Man Encounters Jesus While Trying To Kill His Christian Cousin Only true Jesus can one have eternal life. Even before He was born var…
- on #BBNaija: Why Laycon Will Win Bbnaija 2020 – Nengi Reveals Yes oh... Laycon for the money
- on Two Pastors R a p e 27-year Old Female Corps Member During Prayer Session In Rivers State Chai, this world no balance oh...