A fleet of 300 Chinese ships were caught on a month-long illegal fishing mission off the coast of the Galapagos Islands — threatening rare species in the marine wildlife oasis, according to an investigation.
The foreign fishing vessels pillaged the protected waters near the Galapagos Marine Reserve to catch squid, which are crucial to the survival of area species such as fur seals, hammerhead sharks and tuna, according to data analyzed by the marine conservation group Oceana.
“For a month, the world watched and wondered what China’s enormous fishing fleet was doing off the Galapagos Islands, but now we know,” said Marla Valentine, Oceana’s illegal fishing and transparency analyst. “This massive and ongoing fishing effort of China’s fleet threatens the Galapagos Islands, the rare species that only call it home and everyone that depends on it for food and livelihoods.”
The Chinese-flagged ships were seen snatching the squid between July 13 and Aug. 13, raking in a total of 73,000 hours of illicit fishing, according to an online mapping tool used by the group.
The Galapagos Islands are considered an environmental gem with more than 20 percent of its marine species found nowhere else on Earth. In total, 99 percent of fishing activity in the area during the one-month period was done by the Chinese, the organization said.
To analyze data about the ships, the group used a Global Fishing Watch tool, which teams up Google and the environmental watchdog group SkyTruth to log satellite imagery.
“Sadly, this is just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to the impact of China’s huge distant-water fishing fleet on our oceans,” Valentine said. “The situation playing out in the Galapagos should raise serious questions and concerns about the impact China’s massive fishing fleet is having on the oceans it sails.”
New York Post
- PSG vs Man Utd: What Rio Ferdinand said about Axel Tuanzebe after 2-1 winIn SportsOctober 21, 2020Manchester United legend, Rio Ferdinand, has lauded defender, Axel Tuanzebe’s performance against Paris Saint-Germain in the Champions League on ...[Read more]
- Champions League: Michael Owen criticizes one Chelsea player after 0-0 draw with SevillaIn SportsOctober 21, 2020Former England striker, Michael Owen, has criticized Chelsea defender, Kurt Zouma, following the Blues’ Champions League 0-0 draw against Sevilla on ...[Read more]
- Nobody can silence me, Runtown respond to recent shootingsIn celebrityOctober 21, 2020Popular Nigerian Singer, Douglas Jack Agu, better known by his stage name Runtown, has hinted that he’s been getting death threats over his active ...[Read more]
- #ENDSARS: ”You threats can never silence me.” – Singer Runtown blows hotOctober 21, 2020Nigerian Singer, Douglas Jack Agu, better known by his stage name Runtown, has indicated that he’s been getting passing dangers over his ...[Read more]
- Protesters removes bullet from a shot victim as military opens fire(Picture)In NewsOctober 21, 2020Brave End SARS protesters were captured on camera trying to remove a bullet from the leg of a young man who was shot at the Lekki toll gate earlier ...[Read more]
- American rapper, Nicki Minaj prays for victims who were injured at the Lekki protest shootingOctober 21, 2020American rapper, Nicki Minaj has joined a growing list of international celebrities who are lending their voice to the #EndSARS protests. She also ...[Read more]
- #LekkiMassacre: DJ Switch Cries Out bitterly, Says “they are still shooting at us” (+Video)October 21, 2020A Nigerian disc jockey, Obianuju Udeh, prevalently called DJ Switch, has announced that protesters are as yet being taken shots at the beginning of ...[Read more]
- HAPPENING NOW: Police Men Shooting At Unarmed Youths In Yaba, Lagos (+Videos)In Local NewsOctober 21, 2020Men of the Nigerian Police Force are supposedly shooting live rounds in various parts of Lagos at the moment. The accompanying areas are as of now ...[Read more]
- #EndSARS: Nicki Minaj Finally Reacts To Shooting in Lekki Toll GateOctober 21, 2020American rapper, Nicki Minaj has joined a developing rundown of global VIPs who are loaning their voice to the #EndSARS fights. She additionally ...[Read more]
- Edo prison break was perpetrated by Prison warders-Kemi OlunloyoIn celebrityOctober 21, 2020Nigerian investigative journalist,Kemi Olunloyo has alleged that the Edo prison break was perpetrated by the warders, to show their support for the ...[Read more]
- on ‘Men With Big D!ks Can Talk to Me Anyhow – Lydia Forson Explains in A New Video This is good for nation
- on ‘Men With Big D!ks Can Talk to Me Anyhow – Lydia Forson Explains in A New Video I have one baby, and I know how to work with it.
- on Rita Dominic and Kate Henshaw Joins #EndSARS protest yes o!! They will know that we own this country.
- on See Amazing Photos Of A Village In Abia State Nicknamed “Small London” (+Photos) You guys should come to my ebonyi and see that this one is small
- on Meet Man Who Employs His Biological Son As Security Man In His Company In Nigeria (+Photo) Hmm... Wetin concern me
- on Newcastle vs Man Utd: Paul Scholes blasts Cavani Time shall Tell
- on Man Kills His Parents In Enugu During Misunderstanding God why, okay why did village people called police, y can't theme kill…
- on Police Bust S3x Party, Arrest Guys While Having S3x With The Ladies (Photos) This idiots deserve what's happening to them
- on Kizz Daniels Finally Reveals The Girl He Is Dating Good evening
- on Kizz Daniels Finally Reveals The Girl He Is Dating Hello