The newest American Girl hails from a bygone era, an ancient decade few will remember — the 1980s.
Courtney Moore, the latest “historical character” from the beloved doll brand, may feel more nostalgic than old-fashioned to the many adults who personally lived through the Reagan era.
“Growing up in 1986, Courtney’s story reflects the pop culture of the decade from sky-high hair, neon-colored fashions, music television, and video gaming to major historical moments surrounding women in government and space exploration, as well as larger cultural shifts around blended families and emerging technology,” according to a new statement from the company. “She is a total ’80s girl.”
Courtney, a gamer from a fictional California town, joins a line of other historical gals from America’s past, including Revolutionary War-era Felicity, Depression-era Kit, and 1941’s Nanea — with Julie, whose story is set in 1974, being her closest companion age-wise.
The doll itself costs $110, with the option to buy a miniature version of the World War II-era American Girl doll Molly ($30), to add a meta element to the fictional 18-inch toy’s story.
Her other accessories, available for purchase separately, include a working, doll-sized Pac-Man Arcade ($149.99), ’80s-chic bunk-bed bedroom set ($225), Care Bears sleeping bag set ($36) and an already backordered sleepover set featuring a boombox with cassettes ($50).
Courtney also has an online play site set to launch Oct. 1, which will include an interactive mall experience and dance-challenge tutorial.
American Girl partnered with the band the Go-Go’s and the nonprofit Girls Who Code to announce the doll and to promote Courtney’s empowerment of female gamers: Through Dec. 31, the toy company is matching customer donations to the educational organization, dollar for dollar up to $50,000.
The child of the ’80s is the first new historical character American Girl has released in three years, although an online parody, which went viral in July, may have convinced some that there was another doll was in the works. “Meet Karen,” read the fake ad for a gun-toting white doll who refuses to wear a face covering while grocery shopping during the coronavirus pandemic. “She’s an independent thinker who refuses to wear a mask in public places!”
The American Girl doll manufacturer said it was “disgusted,” by the joke.
New York Post
- #ENDSARS: Hoodlums Kills two Police Men In LagosIn Local NewsOctober 21, 2020The Lagos State Police Command on Wednesday said criminals under the appearance of partaking in the #EndSARS protest killed two police officers in ...[Read more]
- Champions League: Real Madrid star breaks record after 3-2 defeat to Shakhtar DonetskOctober 21, 2020Real Madrid forward, Vinicius Junior, on Wednesday night broke UEFA Champions League record following his side’s 3-2 defeat to Shakhtar Donetsk. Real ...[Read more]
- Thugs Attacks An Igbosere High Court, Trucked Away Countless Assets (+Video)In Local NewsOctober 21, 2020Blade using punks assaulted an Igbosere High Court in Obalende and apparently trucked away countless assets. The assault on Igbosere High Court, ...[Read more]
- Chelsea Vs. Sevilla: Three significant lessons from UEFA Champions League drawOctober 21, 2020The London side was held to a 1-1 draw at Stamford Bridge as Chelsea missed out on the chance to generate team confidence ahead of the next game. The ...[Read more]
- Rapid Vienna vs Arsenal: It is my decision to freeze Ozil out – Arteta finally opens upOctober 21, 2020Arsenal manager, Mikel Arteta, has finally admitted that it was his decision to freeze Mesut Ozil out. Ozil has not featured for the Gunners since ...[Read more]
- Paris Saint-German Vs. Manchester United: Full match statisticsOctober 21, 2020Paris Saint-Germain lost at home (Parce des Princes) to Ole Gunnar Solskjaer’s side on Tuesday Night. United impressed against the French side just ...[Read more]
- Champions League: Three key matches to watch tonightOctober 21, 2020The UEFA Champions League takes centre stage on Wednesday as hostility ensures on the pitch. Yesterday was the opening evening of football at the ...[Read more]
- Chelsea Vs Sevilla: Interesting features, match statistics from goalless drawOctober 21, 2020The Blues were pegged back again by Sevilla as they endured another 90 minutes without a win. They drew 3-3 against Southampton after taking a 2-0 ...[Read more]
- Our leaders are bunch of fools-Destiny EtikoOctober 21, 2020This comes after Tuesday night’s massacre that occurred at the Lekki Toll Gate which had the military opening fire on innocent protesters. Reacting ...[Read more]
- Police arrests Nollywood Labista as he leads protest in AbaOctober 21, 2020After learning about this unfortunate incident, actress Destiny Etiko has taken to social media to demand the immediate release of her colleague. ...[Read more]
- on ‘Men With Big D!ks Can Talk to Me Anyhow – Lydia Forson Explains in A New Video This is good for nation
- on ‘Men With Big D!ks Can Talk to Me Anyhow – Lydia Forson Explains in A New Video I have one baby, and I know how to work with it.
- on Rita Dominic and Kate Henshaw Joins #EndSARS protest yes o!! They will know that we own this country.
- on See Amazing Photos Of A Village In Abia State Nicknamed “Small London” (+Photos) You guys should come to my ebonyi and see that this one is small
- on Meet Man Who Employs His Biological Son As Security Man In His Company In Nigeria (+Photo) Hmm... Wetin concern me
- on Newcastle vs Man Utd: Paul Scholes blasts Cavani Time shall Tell
- on Man Kills His Parents In Enugu During Misunderstanding God why, okay why did village people called police, y can't theme kill…
- on Police Bust S3x Party, Arrest Guys While Having S3x With The Ladies (Photos) This idiots deserve what's happening to them
- on Kizz Daniels Finally Reveals The Girl He Is Dating Good evening
- on Kizz Daniels Finally Reveals The Girl He Is Dating Hello