Barbara DeLeo rolled out the pink carpet in her Staten Island home when she moved there in 1969.
Her four-bedroom property is completely covered in shades of blush — her favorite color — from a bar and bathroom tile to wall coverings and window trim.
“Everyone … calls it the bubblegum house,” said DeLeo, 83, a retired deli owner.
A well-preserved time capsule with retro flair, the home at 820 W. Fingerboard Road in Grasmere — a few minutes west of the ramp to the Verrazzano-Narrows Bridge — raised a few eyebrows when it hit the market for $829,000.
DeLeo and her late husband, Richard, oversaw the ground-up construction of their pink palace in 1969. They envisioned a dream home where they would raise their family. But the decor wasn’t always so rosy.
Take the central staircase. “When I first built the house, it was brown — and then I said, ‘That’s gotta go,’ ” DeLeo told The Post. “I love pink.”
Although the home’s facade is an unassuming brown, its interior became more monochrome over time. Family photos show an upstairs sunken living room once had a blue carpet and dark pink curtains; now, it has wall-to-wall pink carpeting.
On the house’s lower level, the pink steps rise from a living area where pink walls and carpeting match a pink bar — its counter crowned with a shiny faux palm tree. Off to one side is a black-and-white kitchen that leads into a bathroom with pink tile walls and a bold red floor.
Upstairs, the sunken living area connects to a pink-carpeted formal dining room with a kitchen nearby. A pink hallway connects to three of the bedrooms, all of which have the same pink floor covering.
DeLeo’s daughter, 62-year-old Barbara Lynn Veneziano, told The Post she, her parents and her brother, Anthony, occupied the upper level. For a time, her grandparents and aunt lived downstairs — a reason why the home has a kitchen on each floor.
The home’s listing agent, Richard Nichilo told Apartment Therapy this design feature was common in homes belonging to multigenerational Italian immigrant families.
While DeLeo tapped a builder, the late Jerry Mattia, to decorate the home, it was her vision.
“He did everything I asked him to do,” she said.
That included carving out arches between the upper-level living and dining rooms, installing floor-to-ceiling mirrors and designing a large upstairs bathroom, which has mirrored walls and a sunken bathtub.
“That was special-made, that tub,” said DeLeo, who has four grandchildren.
The property also has three bathrooms and a single-car garage — all on a 4,312-square-foot lot.
Which is just too big for the octogenarian. Richard, a one-time electrician for Verizon, passed away in 2006, and DeLeo suffered a stroke two years ago. Even though she is ready to downsize, the decision to sell didn’t come easy.
“I was heartbroken, really,” she said.
Added Veneziano, “My brother and I both cried when we told [the real-estate agent] to take it,” noting the house contains “a lot of happy memories. A lot of parties went on in that house.”
After the listing went live in August, Veneziano said, the cosmetics brand MAC reached out to do a shoot there. But because the family was worried about the coronavirus pandemic, it didn’t end up happening.
The family hopes their pink palace ends up in the hands of buyers who will look after it as painstakingly as DeLeo did.
“God was good to me, and I took care of it, because I loved it,” she said.
The house’s palette could have been divisive, but ultimately the DeLeos cared for it wholeheartedly.
“It was bright and cheery,” Veneziano said. “I don’t think all the men loved it too much, but my father never complained.”
New York Post
- Arteta leaves Ozil out of 25-man EPL squad, Wenger reactsOctober 20, 2020Arsenal manager, Mikel Arteta, has left Mesut Ozil out of his 25-man Premier League squad. Ozil had also been cut out from the Europa League squad. ...[Read more]
- Uche jumbo sets internet on fire with new photoOctober 20, 2020Uche Jumbo has set the internet on fire after she shared a photo which showed off her shapely body like never before. The photo was used while she ...[Read more]
- Former France goalkeeper, Bruno Martini is deadIn SportsOctober 20, 2020Former France goalkeeper and deputy director of Montpellier’s training centre, Bruno Martini has died at 58. The Ligue 1 club made this known in a ...[Read more]
- Eniola Badmus shares works out, Shares picture on IGOctober 20, 2020Eniola Badmus has in the latest post sighted on her social media has shared her workout exercises in the gym. Eniola throughout this year took it ...[Read more]
- Meet Linus Williams Ifejika: Bitcoin Lord, Biography, Net-worth, and FamilyOctober 20, 2020There’s a glimmer of hope for young men and women growing up in Nigeria who often think the system has been skewed and the only way to stay afloat ...[Read more]
- Davido celebrates son, Ifeanyi Adeleke clocks one todayOctober 20, 2020Ifeanyi Adeleke, son of Nigerian singer, songwriter and music executive, Davido is a year older today, October 20, 2020. Davido shared to social ...[Read more]
- The Nollywood actor, Kanayo O. Kanayo is now now a full-time lawyerOctober 20, 2020The Nollywood actor, Kanayo O. Kanayo announced that he is now a full-time lawyer. He made this announcement on his various social media handles as ...[Read more]
- BBNaija Tolanibaj clock one todayOctober 20, 2020The 2020 Big Brother Naija former housemate, Tolanibaj is a year older today, October 20, 2020. Tolanibaj who many knew for causing so much drama in ...[Read more]
- Nigerian billionaire, Ned Nwoko allegedly set to marry a 7th wifeOctober 20, 2020The popular Nigerian billionaire, Ned Nwoko has set eyes to take lady as his 7th wife. The lady is based in Dubai and per what we gathered, she fit ...[Read more]
- BBNAIJA Erica has made it very clear with her relationship with Kiddwaya, See details hereOctober 20, 2020BBNAIJA Erica has made it very clear that she’s single asking Kiddwaya not to spoil her market for her. As they were banting each other on twitter, ...[Read more]
Join The Discussion👇🏾
- on ‘Men With Big D!ks Can Talk to Me Anyhow – Lydia Forson Explains in A New Video I have one baby, and I know how to work with it.
- on Rita Dominic and Kate Henshaw Joins #EndSARS protest yes o!! They will know that we own this country.
- on See Amazing Photos Of A Village In Abia State Nicknamed “Small London” (+Photos) You guys should come to my ebonyi and see that this one is small
- on Meet Man Who Employs His Biological Son As Security Man In His Company In Nigeria (+Photo) Hmm... Wetin concern me
- on Newcastle vs Man Utd: Paul Scholes blasts Cavani Time shall Tell
- on Man Kills His Parents In Enugu During Misunderstanding God why, okay why did village people called police, y can't theme kill…
- on Police Bust S3x Party, Arrest Guys While Having S3x With The Ladies (Photos) This idiots deserve what's happening to them
- on Kizz Daniels Finally Reveals The Girl He Is Dating Good evening
- on Kizz Daniels Finally Reveals The Girl He Is Dating Hello
- on Residents In Tears As Tenant Stabs Landlord To Death (+Graphic photos) What a world may be is fustration.RIP Mr landlord