New York’s pandemic eviction ban nearly made a Staten Islander lose her Superstorm Sandy-damaged home.
Emily Barlow, who’s been struggling to oust a squatting tenant from her one-bedroom bungalow in Midland Beach, got a shocking letter from the state recently, threatening to take the home in 30 days.
The deed to Barlow’s home, which she bought in 2018, allows the state to take the property back if it’s not elevated by a certain time — but the squatter’s presence, and the pandemic shutdown, made it impossible for Barlow to get the work done before the July deadline, she said.
“It’s horrible. I’ve gone through hell,” she told The Post.
Squatter Saied Darabseh allegedly stopped paying his $1,300 rent in November, according to court documents. Barlow took him to city Housing Court but was unable to get Dabaseh out before Cuomo’s pandemic eviction moratorium, now in effect until Oct. 1, was issued.
“I love him on the TV but he hasn’t really been that good to the middle class,” Barlow said of Cuomo. “The problem with his policies is that they were done with hatchets, because they had to be done fast, when they needed to be done with scalpels.”
“I just feel like the middle class got completely crumbled in all this,” she said.
In the past, the state easily gave extensions to homeowners tasked with raising their homes by a certain deadline, but this year, they didn’t, said real estate lawyer Grace Mattei, who is working with Barlow.
“They took a hard line. It is bizarre,” she said.
“The marshal literally has the warrant of eviction in his hand, and can’t do anything with it, and at the same time the governor is trying to take the property back,” said attorney Philip Mattina, who handled Barlow’s Housing Court case against Darabseh.
The 30-day letter from the state only went out after Barlow couldn’t be reached, the state claims. Barlow says the Governor’s Office of Storm Recovery ignored her lawyer’s outreach prior to the July deadline, and that she never got phone messages.
Barlow eventually won a year’s reprieve from the state, after Congressman Max Rose intervened, she said. But she’s fearful the eviction ban could be extended again, allowing her tenant to stay until it’s too late — or that a second wave of COVID-19 would bring another shutdown to New York.
“I just want to know how far these politicians are willing to go,” she said.
The GOSR said it’s given extensions to 46 homeowners, including Barlow, and has been “proactively” reaching out to them.
New York Post
- #ENDSARS: Hoodlums Kills two Police Men In LagosIn Local NewsOctober 21, 2020The Lagos State Police Command on Wednesday said criminals under the appearance of partaking in the #EndSARS protest killed two police officers in ...[Read more]
- Champions League: Real Madrid star breaks record after 3-2 defeat to Shakhtar DonetskOctober 21, 2020Real Madrid forward, Vinicius Junior, on Wednesday night broke UEFA Champions League record following his side’s 3-2 defeat to Shakhtar Donetsk. Real ...[Read more]
- Thugs Attacks An Igbosere High Court, Trucked Away Countless Assets (+Video)In Local NewsOctober 21, 2020Blade using punks assaulted an Igbosere High Court in Obalende and apparently trucked away countless assets. The assault on Igbosere High Court, ...[Read more]
- Chelsea Vs. Sevilla: Three significant lessons from UEFA Champions League drawOctober 21, 2020The London side was held to a 1-1 draw at Stamford Bridge as Chelsea missed out on the chance to generate team confidence ahead of the next game. The ...[Read more]
- Rapid Vienna vs Arsenal: It is my decision to freeze Ozil out – Arteta finally opens upOctober 21, 2020Arsenal manager, Mikel Arteta, has finally admitted that it was his decision to freeze Mesut Ozil out. Ozil has not featured for the Gunners since ...[Read more]
- Paris Saint-German Vs. Manchester United: Full match statisticsOctober 21, 2020Paris Saint-Germain lost at home (Parce des Princes) to Ole Gunnar Solskjaer’s side on Tuesday Night. United impressed against the French side just ...[Read more]
- Champions League: Three key matches to watch tonightOctober 21, 2020The UEFA Champions League takes centre stage on Wednesday as hostility ensures on the pitch. Yesterday was the opening evening of football at the ...[Read more]
- Chelsea Vs Sevilla: Interesting features, match statistics from goalless drawOctober 21, 2020The Blues were pegged back again by Sevilla as they endured another 90 minutes without a win. They drew 3-3 against Southampton after taking a 2-0 ...[Read more]
- Our leaders are bunch of fools-Destiny EtikoOctober 21, 2020This comes after Tuesday night’s massacre that occurred at the Lekki Toll Gate which had the military opening fire on innocent protesters. Reacting ...[Read more]
- Police arrests Nollywood Labista as he leads protest in AbaOctober 21, 2020After learning about this unfortunate incident, actress Destiny Etiko has taken to social media to demand the immediate release of her colleague. ...[Read more]
- on ‘Men With Big D!ks Can Talk to Me Anyhow – Lydia Forson Explains in A New Video This is good for nation
- on ‘Men With Big D!ks Can Talk to Me Anyhow – Lydia Forson Explains in A New Video I have one baby, and I know how to work with it.
- on Rita Dominic and Kate Henshaw Joins #EndSARS protest yes o!! They will know that we own this country.
- on See Amazing Photos Of A Village In Abia State Nicknamed “Small London” (+Photos) You guys should come to my ebonyi and see that this one is small
- on Meet Man Who Employs His Biological Son As Security Man In His Company In Nigeria (+Photo) Hmm... Wetin concern me
- on Newcastle vs Man Utd: Paul Scholes blasts Cavani Time shall Tell
- on Man Kills His Parents In Enugu During Misunderstanding God why, okay why did village people called police, y can't theme kill…
- on Police Bust S3x Party, Arrest Guys While Having S3x With The Ladies (Photos) This idiots deserve what's happening to them
- on Kizz Daniels Finally Reveals The Girl He Is Dating Good evening
- on Kizz Daniels Finally Reveals The Girl He Is Dating Hello