Hundreds of people gathered Friday night outside the Supreme Court, singing in a candlelight vigil and weeping together as they mourned the death of Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg.
The large group of mourners packed the high court’s steps and the street across from the U.S. Capitol in a nighttime memorial. Dozens of people sat on the steps quietly reflecting on Ginsburg’s legacy.
Scores of memorial candles flickered in the wind along the front steps of the court as people knelt to leave bouquets of flowers, small American flags and handwritten condolence messages for Ginsburg, who died Friday of metastatic pancreatic cancer at age 87 after 27 years on the court. Prayer candles with Ginsburg’s photo on them were also left on the steps.
Several times, dozens in the crowd broke out into song, singing “Amazing Grace” and “This Land is Your Land” as others embraced one another and wiped tears from their eyes. At one point, the crowd broke into thunderous applause — lasting for about a minute — for Ginsburg.
“Thank you RBG,” one sign read. On the sidewalk, “RBG” was drawn inside a pink chalk heart.
Jennifer Berger, 37, said she felt compelled to join the large crowd that gathered to pay tribute to Ginsburg’s life.
“I think it is important for us to recognize such a trailblazer,” she said. “It is amazing to see how many people are feeling this loss tonight and saying goodbye.”
Ginsburg spent her final years on the bench as the unquestioned leader of the court’s liberal wing and became something of a rock star to her admirers. Young women especially seemed to embrace the court’s Jewish grandmother, affectionately calling her the Notorious RBG, for her defense of the rights of women and minorities.
The memorial service remained mostly peaceful and somber, but turned tense for several minutes after a man with a megaphone approached people in the crowd and began to chant that “Roe v. Wade is dead,” a reference to the landmark Supreme Court ruling establishing abortion rights nationwide.
A large group confronted the man, leading to a brief shouting match. Many in the crowd began yelling “RBG” to try to drown out the man’s voice as he continued to say Republicans would push to quickly appoint a conservative justice to the court. Supreme Court police officers stood alongside the crowd and the man eventually left the area.
New York Post
- Premier League: African players who shined last weekendOctober 19, 2020African players were not left out of the tick of the action as a couple of them wrapped up the week with positive performance to help out their ...[Read more]
- 11 Nigerian players who stood out for clubs last weekendOctober 19, 2020The last weekend actions across Europe saw Nigerian players performing for their respective clubs. There is a lot of positive showing from Nigerians ...[Read more]
- Watch Nigerian Actress Rita Edouchie Protest Against SARS In Latest VideoOctober 19, 2020Nigerian actress Rita Edouchie has add her voice to the progressing #EndSARS protest going in the nation. In a video posted on the web, the ...[Read more]
- Bruno Fernandes reacts as Solskjaer makes him Man Utd captainOctober 19, 2020Manchester United midfielder, Bruno Fernandes, has said that he was honoured after manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer made him captain ahead of the Red ...[Read more]
- Music Producer Don Jazzy Sends A Message To Nigerian Soldiers (+Video)October 19, 2020Music producer Don Jazzy has sent a ground-breaking message to the valiant and courageous Nigerian soldiers conveyed to set out on on operation ...[Read more]
- See Nigerians Reactions As Delta State Deputy Speaker’s Mansion Submerged In Flood (+Photos)In Local NewsOctober 19, 2020A week ago, a weighty deluge brought about a flood at the masion of Hon Osanebi Ossai Friday, Delta State Deputy Speaker. Photographs of the house ...[Read more]
- #ENDSARS: Protest Get More Hot A Youths Block Third Mainland BridgeOctober 19, 2020The Adekunle part of Third Mainland Bridge in Lagos State was on Monday obstructed by youths protesting against police brutality in Nigeria. EndSARS ...[Read more]
- Guardiola gives condition for Aguero to sign new Man City contractOctober 19, 2020Manchester City manager, Pep Guardiola, has given a condition for striker, Sergio Aguero, to sign a new contract at the club. Guardiola said that the ...[Read more]
- PSG vs Man Utd: Maguire, Cavani, Greenwood out of Champions League clashOctober 19, 2020The Manchester United squad have travelled to Paris without Edinson Cavani, Harry Maguire, Jesse Lingard and Eric Bailly. They will all miss their ...[Read more]
- Champions League: Solskjaer names player that’ll captain Man Utd against PSG in Maguire’s absenceOctober 19, 2020Manchester United boss, Ole Gunnar Solskjaer, has confirmed that midfielder, Bruno Fernandes will captain the Red Devils in Harry Maguire’s absence, ...[Read more]
Join The Discussion👇🏾
- on Rita Dominic and Kate Henshaw Joins #EndSARS protest yes o!! They will know that we own this country.
- on See Amazing Photos Of A Village In Abia State Nicknamed “Small London” (+Photos) You guys should come to my ebonyi and see that this one is small
- on Meet Man Who Employs His Biological Son As Security Man In His Company In Nigeria (+Photo) Hmm... Wetin concern me
- on Newcastle vs Man Utd: Paul Scholes blasts Cavani Time shall Tell
- on Man Kills His Parents In Enugu During Misunderstanding God why, okay why did village people called police, y can't theme kill…
- on Police Bust S3x Party, Arrest Guys While Having S3x With The Ladies (Photos) This idiots deserve what's happening to them
- on Kizz Daniels Finally Reveals The Girl He Is Dating Good evening
- on Kizz Daniels Finally Reveals The Girl He Is Dating Hello
- on Residents In Tears As Tenant Stabs Landlord To Death (+Graphic photos) What a world may be is fustration.RIP Mr landlord
- on Residents In Tears As Tenant Stabs Landlord To Death (+Graphic photos) Hmm what a world,Rip