The Mets withstood two consecutive abridged starts by their rotation, coming back each time behind a resilient bullpen and a productive lineup, to post two desperation wins they needed to barely remain alive in the National League playoff hunt.
Steven Matz, however, made sure there would not be a third.
Matz’s first start in more than a month was no different from those he’d fumbled through before getting pulled from the rotation in mid-August and eventually landing on the injured list with left shoulder discomfort.
The Long Island lefty was hammered for six runs on eight hits, including home runs by Marcell Ozuna and Austin Riley, in just 2 ²/₃ innings in a 15-2 drubbing Friday by the first-place Atlanta Braves at Citi Field.
Todd Frazier worked a scoreless ninth for the Mets — even striking out Adam Duvall — to join Luis Guillorme as position players to pitch for them this season.
The 29-year-old Matz is winless in five decisions and seven appearances (one in relief) overall this season with a bloated 9.79 ERA. His last four starting outings since Aug. 4 have been even worse, crushed for 25 earned runs over 14 ¹/₃ frames (15.70).
Fellow starters Jacob deGrom (hamstring spasms) and Seth Lugo had totaled just 3 ²/₃ innings over the previous two games, but the bullpen excelled and the Mets stormed back to win both games to move within 1 ½ games of the second wild-card position in the National League entering this three-game series.
Mets relievers worked a combined 14 ¹/₃ innings of one-run ball over the previous two nights before getting hammered for nine runs over the final six innings by the Braves (30-21).
“A lot has been asked from our bullpen as a lot of our starts have been shortened for any number of different reasons,” GM Brodie Van Wagenen said before the game. “But our bullpen has competed all year, and the last two nights have been a microcosm of that.
“We have some talent in the starting rotation, as well. … We still think even given all the challenges the rotation has had, we’ve got guys lined up that can still give us a chance.”
Matz provided them little chance to win in his latest punching-bag performance, allowing hits to the first four Braves he faced to open the game. He was fortunate to escape the inning with only one run scoring, as right fielder Michael Conforto threw out Freddie Freeman at third base on Ozuna’s RBI single.
But Matz, who made a scoreless one-inning relief appearance against the Yankees on Aug. 29 following his removal from the rotation, was tagged for a two-run double by Freeman and two-run home run to left by Ozuna, his 15th of the season for a 5-0 hole. His bullpen gassed, Luis Rojas sent Matz out for more in the third, and Riley crushed a 2-2 pitch over the wall in center for a leadoff blast and a six-run Atlanta lead.
Franklyn Kilome, who was summoned from the alternate site earlier in the day, replaced Matz (75 pitches) after two outs were recorded in the third.
One inning later, Kilome coughed up two-run homers to former Mets catcher Travis d’Arnaud and Ozzie Albies and a two-run double to Nick Markakis to double the lead to 12. It was d’Arnaud’s eighth of the season and one of his three hits in the game, raising his average over 37 appearances this season to .336 with a .947 OPS. Albies and Ronald Acuna Jr. added back-to-back blasts against Jared Hughes in the sixth.
Meanwhile, the Mets (23-28) mounted little resistance against Braves lefty Max Fried, who also was returning from a stint on the injured list due to a back issue.
Making his first start since Sept. 5, Fried limited the Mets to one run (Jeff McNeil’s RBI double) on three hits over five innings (80 pitches) to enhance his Cy Young Award case, improving to 7-0 with a 1.96 ERA in 10 starts this season.
New York Post
- Nigerian players abroad roundupOctober 19, 2020Nigerian players across Europe were in brilliant forms for their respective clubs last week. There were goals, impressive midfield shifts and ...[Read more]
- Top 10 Female Nigerian Celebrities With The Most Followers On InstagramOctober 19, 2020Social Media is the only place by which famous people speak with their fans. Practically the entirety of our Nigerian VIPs can be found on these ...[Read more]
- Premier League: African players who shined last weekendOctober 19, 2020African players were not left out of the tick of the action as a couple of them wrapped up the week with positive performance to help out their ...[Read more]
- 11 Nigerian players who stood out for clubs last weekendOctober 19, 2020The last weekend actions across Europe saw Nigerian players performing for their respective clubs. There is a lot of positive showing from Nigerians ...[Read more]
- Watch Nigerian Actress Rita Edouchie Protest Against SARS In Latest VideoOctober 19, 2020Nigerian actress Rita Edouchie has add her voice to the progressing #EndSARS protest going in the nation. In a video posted on the web, the ...[Read more]
- Bruno Fernandes reacts as Solskjaer makes him Man Utd captainOctober 19, 2020Manchester United midfielder, Bruno Fernandes, has said that he was honoured after manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer made him captain ahead of the Red ...[Read more]
- Music Producer Don Jazzy Sends A Message To Nigerian Soldiers (+Video)October 19, 2020Music producer Don Jazzy has sent a ground-breaking message to the valiant and courageous Nigerian soldiers conveyed to set out on on operation ...[Read more]
- See Nigerians Reactions As Delta State Deputy Speaker’s Mansion Submerged In Flood (+Photos)In Local NewsOctober 19, 2020A week ago, a weighty deluge brought about a flood at the masion of Hon Osanebi Ossai Friday, Delta State Deputy Speaker. Photographs of the house ...[Read more]
- #ENDSARS: Protest Get More Hot A Youths Block Third Mainland BridgeOctober 19, 2020The Adekunle part of Third Mainland Bridge in Lagos State was on Monday obstructed by youths protesting against police brutality in Nigeria. EndSARS ...[Read more]
- Guardiola gives condition for Aguero to sign new Man City contractOctober 19, 2020Manchester City manager, Pep Guardiola, has given a condition for striker, Sergio Aguero, to sign a new contract at the club. Guardiola said that the ...[Read more]
Join The Discussion👇🏾
- on Rita Dominic and Kate Henshaw Joins #EndSARS protest yes o!! They will know that we own this country.
- on See Amazing Photos Of A Village In Abia State Nicknamed “Small London” (+Photos) You guys should come to my ebonyi and see that this one is small
- on Meet Man Who Employs His Biological Son As Security Man In His Company In Nigeria (+Photo) Hmm... Wetin concern me
- on Newcastle vs Man Utd: Paul Scholes blasts Cavani Time shall Tell
- on Man Kills His Parents In Enugu During Misunderstanding God why, okay why did village people called police, y can't theme kill…
- on Police Bust S3x Party, Arrest Guys While Having S3x With The Ladies (Photos) This idiots deserve what's happening to them
- on Kizz Daniels Finally Reveals The Girl He Is Dating Good evening
- on Kizz Daniels Finally Reveals The Girl He Is Dating Hello
- on Residents In Tears As Tenant Stabs Landlord To Death (+Graphic photos) What a world may be is fustration.RIP Mr landlord
- on Residents In Tears As Tenant Stabs Landlord To Death (+Graphic photos) Hmm what a world,Rip