The Yankees’ overall winning streak and the one against the Red Sox inevitably had to end. This being 2020 it came with the strangest attendance of one and a third-string catcher throwing knuckleballs.
Action was halted in the top of the eighth inning when a human (sorry I won’t describe him as a fan) snuck into Fenway Park, reached the camera wells in center field and began hollering and tossing baseball caps onto the field. He was eventually corralled and removed.
“Probably the last thing you think you are going to have is a fan delay this season,” Erik Kratz said.
Or a 40-year-old catcher throwing knuckleballs. But there was Kratz in the bottom of the eighth — the strangest inning in 2020 is really saying something. J.D. Martinez homered, but that was the lone run allowed by Kratz, who Aaron Boone jokingly praised for his “pitchability” due to bouncing between a high of 86 mph and a low of 55.
Levity, though, could not distract from the key Yankee issue in what was a 10-2 Red Sox victory: that Deivi Garcia had his first stinker after four impressive starts to open his career. Especially because Boone questioned his actual starting pitcher’s pitchability, wondering about his mix (Garcia’s curveball was largely absent) — is that a sideways shot at Gary Sanchez?
Boone also noted a little less life on the righty’s fastball — the 90.8 mph average down nearly 2 mph from his first four starts. Garcia said he lacked command, particularly of his heater.
Garcia allowed six runs in three innings. He could not find a put-away pitch as six of the eight hits off of him came with two strikes, including the two key blows, two-run and three-run homers, both by Michael Chavis.
Kratz, who perhaps knows this pitcher best of at least any Yankee player having caught him last year in the minors too, said the combination of Garcia’s precocious pitching intelligence and adaptability will make Sunday at Fenway a lesson, not a bellwether of more bad stuff to come. Which is vital. Because whether Garcia is used in what would be a decisive first-round Game 3 or not, for the Yankees to win four rounds he will be an important figure.
There are no off-days in either the Division Series or the League Championship Series, so whichever teams navigate to the World Series are going to have to use a fourth and possibly fifth starter and depend on more bullpen figures than ever. So in some form, Garcia — the youngest starter in the AL — is going to be prominent.
Until pitching on the Fenway mound of his idol, Pedro Martinez, Garcia had appeared unflappable. He helped stop the Yankees’ suffocating five-game losing streak earlier this month with seven two-run innings on Sept. 9. That triggered a 10-game winning streak that concluded Sunday as the Yankees failed to win a 13th consecutive game against the Red Sox, which would have set the record within this 118-year rivalry.
The winning streak helped the Yanks climb from the eighth seed in the AL to fourth and the potential to gain home field in the first round. Boone vowed to try to win over the final week to secure games in The Bronx, but not at the expense of nursing Aaron Judge and Giancarlo Stanton back to regular play. Most importantly, Boone left Monday’s starter against the Blue Jays a mystery (Michael King will be asked to throw bulk innings no matter what) to push Gerrit Cole and Masahiro Tanaka back to Tuesday and Wednesday. Those are their final starts of this abridged regular season, setting them up to start Games 1 and 2 of the playoffs wherever they are contested.
J.A. Happ, on a six-start binge with a 1.93 ERA, might now be in line to start Game 3, should there be one. Garcia is due one more outing next weekend to make a case.
In the 10-game winning streak that Garcia initiated, Yankee starters went 7-0 with a 2.13 ERA, walked just 3.3 percent of the batters they faced and held hitters to a .184 average. You do two full turns — emphasize full — of the rotation like that in these playoffs, in particular, and you will win rounds.
So is that the Yankee rotation, one in which Cole looked like a $324 million pitcher, Happ worked at a near-elite level and Garcia was a blessed arrival? Or did Garcia’s first major league start in chillier climes at Fenway raise alarms and doubts about at least his reliability moving forward?
In this short season with a longer playoff than ever, decisions have to be made with whatever evidence becomes available.
New York Post
- HAPPENING NOW: Police Men Shooting At Unarmed Youths In Yaba, Lagos (+Videos)In Local NewsOctober 21, 2020Men of the Nigerian Police Force are supposedly shooting live rounds in various parts of Lagos at the moment. The accompanying areas are as of now ...[Read more]
- #EndSARS: Nicki Minaj Finally Reacts To Shooting in Lekki Toll GateOctober 21, 2020American rapper, Nicki Minaj has joined a developing rundown of global VIPs who are loaning their voice to the #EndSARS fights. She additionally ...[Read more]
- Edo prison break was perpetrated by Prison warders-Kemi OlunloyoIn celebrityOctober 21, 2020Nigerian investigative journalist,Kemi Olunloyo has alleged that the Edo prison break was perpetrated by the warders, to show their support for the ...[Read more]
- Falz calls IG of Police to resign, See whyOctober 21, 2020The award winning actor said that, in any sane society, the IGP would have resigned following the numerous cases of human rights violations ...[Read more]
- The Bigoraphy of Ini Edo Ekim, See emerging facts you never knew about starOctober 21, 2020Iniobong Edo Ekim simply known as Ini Edo is a multiple award-winning Nollywood actress who began her film career in the year 2000, and has featured ...[Read more]
- #LekkiMassacre: “I am heartbroken to see the senseless brutality taking place in Nigeria, there has to be an end to SARS” – Beyonce writesOctober 21, 2020In wake of the killings that happened the previous evening at Lekki Toll gate, global vocalist Beyonce has shouted out about the miserable episode. ...[Read more]
- #LekkiMassacre: “Stop Violent Crackdown on Peaceful #EndSARS Protesters” – Joe Biden To BuhariOctober 21, 2020USA’s Presidential candidate, Joe Biden, has approached President Buhari to halt from utilizing brutal measures on #EndSARS protesters. Biden, ...[Read more]
- Nigerian man vows not to attend RCCG until Until Pastor Yemi Osinbajo is suspendedOctober 21, 2020A Nigerian accountant, Obinna Nwosu, has vowed never to enter any parish of the Redeemed Christian Church of God RCCG, if Vice President Yemi ...[Read more]
- Biography of BBNaija Vee, see emerging facts you don’t know about the BBNaija starOctober 21, 2020Who is BBNaija Vee? Vee is one of the housemates participating at the ongoing BBNaija Season 5 reality TV show, tagged “Lockdown”. Vee is a ...[Read more]
- #LekkiMassacre: Burna Boy Approaches The help Of All UK Citizens To Sign An Appeal On The Sanction of Nigerian GovernmentOctober 21, 2020Nigeria Afrobeat artist, Burna Boy has approached the help, all things considered, to sign an appeal on the sanction of Nigerian government ...[Read more]
- on ‘Men With Big D!ks Can Talk to Me Anyhow – Lydia Forson Explains in A New Video This is good for nation
- on ‘Men With Big D!ks Can Talk to Me Anyhow – Lydia Forson Explains in A New Video I have one baby, and I know how to work with it.
- on Rita Dominic and Kate Henshaw Joins #EndSARS protest yes o!! They will know that we own this country.
- on See Amazing Photos Of A Village In Abia State Nicknamed “Small London” (+Photos) You guys should come to my ebonyi and see that this one is small
- on Meet Man Who Employs His Biological Son As Security Man In His Company In Nigeria (+Photo) Hmm... Wetin concern me
- on Newcastle vs Man Utd: Paul Scholes blasts Cavani Time shall Tell
- on Man Kills His Parents In Enugu During Misunderstanding God why, okay why did village people called police, y can't theme kill…
- on Police Bust S3x Party, Arrest Guys While Having S3x With The Ladies (Photos) This idiots deserve what's happening to them
- on Kizz Daniels Finally Reveals The Girl He Is Dating Good evening
- on Kizz Daniels Finally Reveals The Girl He Is Dating Hello