A six-year-old hawker was declared missing, while seven persons were rescued following a downpour in Ilorin, the Kwara State capital, on Saturday.
The hawker was declared missing at the Lower Taiwo Road of the state capital, while the seven persons were rescued from a collapsed building around the C&S Church on Murtala Muhammed Road by the state fire service rescue team.
Speaking with DAILY POST on Sunday, the Director, Kwara State Fire Service, Abdulwaheed Yakubu, said “The service had been on rescue operations across the state since Saturday’s downpour, which destroyed many people’s life and property.
“Part of the operations was the rescue work carried out around 23.21hours on Sunday, opposite C&S Church at Murtala Muhammed Road of Ilorin.
“Seven able-bodied men were rescued alive and taken to the state general hospital, Surulere in the state capital, for medical checkup.
“The tremendous effort was achieved through the special assistance of the Commissioner for Works and Transport, Alhaji Suleiman R. Iliasu, communicating with the appropriate channels,” he added.
He said affected places included Ita-Egba and Emir’s road among others.
The fire director urged the public to play safe wherever they find themselves during this period of incessant downpour.
Meanwhile, Governor Abdulrahman Abdulrazaq, has commiserated with families affected in the Saturday’s downpour.
A statement by his spokesman, Rafiu Ajakaye, in Ilorin on Sunday, said “The governor is saddened by the havoc wrecked on various households in Ilorin, the state capital and indeed elsewhere across the state by the rainstorm.
“He sends his heartfelt commiseration and a message of hope to such families in this trying time,” the statement stated.
While urging the federal government to urgently consider Kwara state for special support, the statement disclosed that “The governor for his part, is immediately setting up a special disaster response team to collate data of areas affected and determine how the state government can offer support based on available resources.
“The governor is also aware of the damage to electric poles during the storm, and has directed relevant agencies to quickly fix the poles as soon as possible to avoid further damage and ensure the restoration of power services,” the statement added.
Daily Post Nigeria
- Actor Alex Ekubo Says Lekki Toll Plaza, Should Be Renamed Lekki Memorial In Memory Of Our Fallen ComradesOctober 24, 2020In the wake of the anarchy that went before a Peaceful protest that required an end to police brutality and saw some youthful Nigerian’s die, ...[Read more]
- Actress Doris Ogala Accuses Uche Elendu Of Lying That Her Store Was LootedOctober 24, 2020Nigerian actress, Doris Ogala has accused her fellow actress Uche Elendu for lying that her store was plundered, following the mayhem from hooligans ...[Read more]
- Shehu Sani Begs hoodlums To Bring Back Oba Of Lagos’s StaffOctober 23, 2020Human right activist, Shehu Sani has begged whoever is in the position of the staff and shoe of the Oba of Lagos. Not too long ago, hoodlums broke ...[Read more]
- 69 People Lost Their Lives In The #EndSARS Protest – BuhariOctober 23, 2020Nigeria’s President, Muhammadu Buhari has revealed that 69 people lost their lives in the #EndSARS protest in the nation. As per the BBC, ...[Read more]
- Presidency Finally Reveals Why Buhari Didn’t Speak On Lekki Toll Gate ShootingOctober 23, 2020The Presidency has revealed why President Buhari didn’t address Nigerians with respect to the Lekki toll gate shooting, during his speech ...[Read more]
- Liverpool Vs. Sheffield United: How Klopp’s side could line-up for EPL clashOctober 23, 2020Liverpool will play host to Sheffield United this weekend as they hope to return to winning ways in the Premier League. The English Champions have ...[Read more]
- Manchester United Vs Chelsea: How Red Devils could line-up against Frank Lampard sideOctober 23, 2020Manchester United will be looking to maintain the momentum owing to their Champions League victory against French side Paris Saint-Germain at the ...[Read more]
- Man Utd vs Chelsea: Pogba warned over new contractOctober 23, 2020Manchester United have informed Paul Pogba they have no desire to entice him to remain at the club with a bumper new contract, ESPN reports. Pogba ...[Read more]
- Lagos State Deputy Governor, Obafemi Hamzat reveals what actually happened in Lagos protestOctober 23, 2020Lagos State Deputy Governor, Obafemi Hamzat has revealed that genuine protesters were peaceful throughout the End SARS protest which took place ...[Read more]
- Round-up of Nigerian players in European League, Match Day 1October 23, 2020Nigerian players abroad were in action during the week for their respective clubs as the Europa League match took centre stage. There were goals from ...[Read more]