House Speaker Nancy Pelosi on Sunday refused to rule out using impeachment to block Senate Republicans from voting on President Trump’s nominee to fill the Supreme Court vacancy caused by Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg’s death.
ABC News anchor George Stephanopoulos raised the possibility with Pelosi that the Democrat-controlled House would move to impeach Trump or Attorney General William Barr to stop the Senate from voting during a lame-duck session.
“Well, we have our options. We have arrows in our quiver that I’m not about to discuss right now, but the fact is we have a big challenge in our country,” Pelosi said on ABC News’ “This Week.”
“This president has threatened to not even accept the results of the election with statements that he and his henchmen have made.”
The California Democrat said that members of Congress “take an oath to protect and defend the Constitution of the United States. We have a responsibility to meet the needs of the American people.”
“So, right now, our main goal — and I think Ruth Bader Ginsburg would want that to be — would be to protect the integrity of the election as we protect the American people from the coronavirus,” Pelosi said as the death toll to the pandemic in the US neared 200,000.
“So, again, when people say, what can I do? You can vote. You can get out the vote, and you can do so as soon as possible,” she said.
Trump said over the weekend that he would nominate someone to fill Ginsburg’s Supreme Court seat this week, and Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell said he would have the GOP-controlled Senate take it up this fall.
Pelosi called the 87-year-old Ginsburg, who died on Friday, a “powerful, brilliant brain on the court.”
“She was brilliant, and she was strategic, and she was successful. And she did more for equality for women in our country than anyone that you can name, and women appreciate that, and I think that you will see women weighing in on all of these decisions, be the elections, confirmations or the rest,” Pelosi said.
New York Post
- Actor Alex Ekubo Says Lekki Toll Plaza, Should Be Renamed Lekki Memorial In Memory Of Our Fallen ComradesOctober 24, 2020In the wake of the anarchy that went before a Peaceful protest that required an end to police brutality and saw some youthful Nigerian’s die, ...[Read more]
- Actress Doris Ogala Accuses Uche Elendu Of Lying That Her Store Was LootedOctober 24, 2020Nigerian actress, Doris Ogala has accused her fellow actress Uche Elendu for lying that her store was plundered, following the mayhem from hooligans ...[Read more]
- Shehu Sani Begs hoodlums To Bring Back Oba Of Lagos’s StaffOctober 23, 2020Human right activist, Shehu Sani has begged whoever is in the position of the staff and shoe of the Oba of Lagos. Not too long ago, hoodlums broke ...[Read more]
- 69 People Lost Their Lives In The #EndSARS Protest – BuhariOctober 23, 2020Nigeria’s President, Muhammadu Buhari has revealed that 69 people lost their lives in the #EndSARS protest in the nation. As per the BBC, ...[Read more]
- Presidency Finally Reveals Why Buhari Didn’t Speak On Lekki Toll Gate ShootingOctober 23, 2020The Presidency has revealed why President Buhari didn’t address Nigerians with respect to the Lekki toll gate shooting, during his speech ...[Read more]
- Liverpool Vs. Sheffield United: How Klopp’s side could line-up for EPL clashOctober 23, 2020Liverpool will play host to Sheffield United this weekend as they hope to return to winning ways in the Premier League. The English Champions have ...[Read more]
- Manchester United Vs Chelsea: How Red Devils could line-up against Frank Lampard sideOctober 23, 2020Manchester United will be looking to maintain the momentum owing to their Champions League victory against French side Paris Saint-Germain at the ...[Read more]
- Man Utd vs Chelsea: Pogba warned over new contractOctober 23, 2020Manchester United have informed Paul Pogba they have no desire to entice him to remain at the club with a bumper new contract, ESPN reports. Pogba ...[Read more]
- Lagos State Deputy Governor, Obafemi Hamzat reveals what actually happened in Lagos protestOctober 23, 2020Lagos State Deputy Governor, Obafemi Hamzat has revealed that genuine protesters were peaceful throughout the End SARS protest which took place ...[Read more]
- Round-up of Nigerian players in European League, Match Day 1October 23, 2020Nigerian players abroad were in action during the week for their respective clubs as the Europa League match took centre stage. There were goals from ...[Read more]