Animated programming has seen a resurgence over the last few decades, particularly when it’s geared towards adult audiences. With the current global health situation, animated programming looks like it will be taking an even greater position in our television landscape. That being said, this year’s nominated shows in the category of Outstanding Animated Program pitted the old guard amongst the new blood.
Upsets are the name of the game for this category with several different critics coming in with different winners. But the ceremony dropped the name of Adult Swim series Rick and Morty as winner of Best Animated Program, securing its second win. The series won its first Emmy award in 2018.
Cult classics like Rick and Morty, as well as the Fox series Bob’s Burgers, are long-running and are regularly cited for their writing and humor. The latter seemed the most likely to pull an upset as Loren Bouchard’s comedy is one of only five shows to ever win the category more than once. Even the dark horse, Netflix’s meme-worthy Big Mouth, was leaving many early prognosticators wondering if this category was anyone’s game.
Many had assumed the Netflix animated series BoJack Horseman would finally secure an award. The series, about a washed-up animal actor, started in 2014 and closed out its final season in January. The show, which many critics have considered the greatest animated series of all time, was open about discussing toxic masculinity and mortality.
The longest-running animated show, and the gold standard for programs aimed at adults, The Simpsons also threatened to walk away with another Emmy. The show has received a whopping 28 nominations over its lifetime with 11 wins. Many feared the series was passe, especially after it courted controversy and saw voice actor Hank Azaria walk away from playing the role of Indian shopowner Apu due to public outcry. Last year marked the series’ first nomination in over a decade, and that led many to wonder if it was due for a comeback.
The win for Rick and Morty will certainly make its fanbase happy at the expense of Bojack Horseman fans. That being said, the respect for animated feature implies that more adult-centric animated series will expand, particularly in the wake of current events.
Stream Rick and Morty on Adult Swim
New York Post
- Killers of Youths at Lekki Toll Gate mindless, The Middle Belt Forum blast killersIn EndSARSOctober 23, 2020The Middle Belt Forum, MBF, has noted with concern what it described as the mindless killings of protesters, paving a trail of bloodshed in a ...[Read more]
- Northern State Governors’s Forum reveals the enemies of BuhariOctober 23, 2020The Northern States Governors’ Forum (NSGF) has claimed that “diabolical influencers in form of hooliganism, ethno-religious bigots and even ...[Read more]
- ENDSARS: American Popular Rapper Meek Mill Joins Protest, See His PostOctober 23, 2020American popular rapper, Meek Mill has responded to the situation in Nigeria particularly the inescapable #EndSARS protest. He revealed that he ...[Read more]
- Match Day 1: Four (4) UEFA Champion League Player’s of the WeekOctober 23, 2020The Champions League may have commenced on a bright note as the 32 qualified team produced the quality they’ve got on the pitch. Though big sides ...[Read more]
- Man Utd vs Chelsea: Ziyech names three team-mates he wants to play withOctober 23, 2020Chelsea winger, Hakim Ziyech, has said he is “really excited” to play with “quality” team-mates, Timo Werner, Kai Havertz and Christian Pulisic. ...[Read more]
- LaLiga: Barcelona told to name Nou Camp after MessiOctober 23, 2020Barcelona defender, Gerard Pique, has told the club to name the redeveloped Camp Nou after Lionel Messi when it is finished. Pique, speaking to La ...[Read more]
- Dino Melaye says Buhari’s speech made him speechlessOctober 23, 2020Dino Melaye, former Kogi West Senator, has criticised President Muhammadu Buhari’s nationwide address over the End SARS protest. Melaye said Buhari’s ...[Read more]
- Nigerians are openly planning relocation from the country after President Buhari’s speechOctober 23, 2020Nigerians are openly planning relocation from the country after President Muhammadu Buhari’s speech. The president Thursday night addressed ...[Read more]
- PDP Blast President Buhari Over National broadcast, Says PMB showed no empathyOctober 23, 2020The Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) has described President Muhammadu Buhari’s address to the nation on Thursday evening, as disappointing and ...[Read more]
- Nnamdi Kanu does not speak for the Igbo Nation, Joe Igbokwe blast Nnamdi KanuIn EndSARSOctober 23, 2020Joe Igbokwe, a chieftain of the All Progressive Congress, (APC), has berated the leader of the Indigenous People of Biafra, IPOB, Nnamdi Kanu. He ...[Read more]