BOSTON- The Yankees used a 10-game winning streak to get into position to reach the playoffs for a fourth straight year, but on Sunday, they needed a loss by the Mariners to finally clinch a spot.
After the Yankees fell to the Red Sox, 10-2, at Fenway Park, Seattle was eliminated from contention with a 7-4, 11-inning loss to the Padres.
It’s the 22nd time the Yankees have made it to the playoffs in the last 26 years and although the postseason was expanded from 10 to16 teams during this abbreviated 60-game season, their inclusion was no sure thing less than two weeks ago, when they lost five in a row and dropped to .500 and found themselves in danger of slipping behind the Orioles for fourth place in the AL East.
But a Sept. 9 win in Buffalo over the Blue Jays started the 10-game streak and now that the Yankees have officially made the eight-team AL postseason, they’ll look to do some damage.
“We’re here and we’ve been grinding the whole year,’’ Adam Ottavino said prior to the game, before the Yankees sealed a spot in the postseason. “It’s gonna be different in the playoffs, with more rounds and different hurdles, but we want to win it. We’re here to win. That’s the goal.”
Manager Aaron Boone acknowledged this season’s expanded format made the possibility of making the postseason “a little different, but I think it’s important if we do get there, you do step back and appreciate that and appreciate the opportunity.”
As of Sunday, the Yankees trail the first-place Rays by 3 ½ games in the AL East and hold the fifth-seed in the American League. If the standings held up, they would host the Twins in the wild-card round, beginning Sept. 29.
Ottavino, before the Yankees clinched, didn’t think the team would celebrate making it into the postseason.
“I think we’ll acknowledge it,’’ Ottavino said. “For us, we’ve been thinking about this as, ‘Just get your foot in the door and go from there.’”
New York Post
- Match Day 1: Four (4) UEFA Champion League Player’s of the WeekOctober 23, 2020The Champions League may have commenced on a bright note as the 32 qualified team produced the quality they’ve got on the pitch. Though big sides ...[Read more]
- Man Utd vs Chelsea: Ziyech names three team-mates he wants to play withOctober 23, 2020Chelsea winger, Hakim Ziyech, has said he is “really excited” to play with “quality” team-mates, Timo Werner, Kai Havertz and Christian Pulisic. ...[Read more]
- LaLiga: Barcelona told to name Nou Camp after MessiOctober 23, 2020Barcelona defender, Gerard Pique, has told the club to name the redeveloped Camp Nou after Lionel Messi when it is finished. Pique, speaking to La ...[Read more]
- Dino Melaye says Buhari’s speech made him speechlessOctober 23, 2020Dino Melaye, former Kogi West Senator, has criticised President Muhammadu Buhari’s nationwide address over the End SARS protest. Melaye said Buhari’s ...[Read more]
- Nigerians are openly planning relocation from the country after President Buhari’s speechOctober 23, 2020Nigerians are openly planning relocation from the country after President Muhammadu Buhari’s speech. The president Thursday night addressed ...[Read more]
- PDP Blast President Buhari Over National broadcast, Says PMB showed no empathyOctober 23, 2020The Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) has described President Muhammadu Buhari’s address to the nation on Thursday evening, as disappointing and ...[Read more]
- Nnamdi Kanu does not speak for the Igbo Nation, Joe Igbokwe blast Nnamdi KanuOctober 23, 2020Joe Igbokwe, a chieftain of the All Progressive Congress, (APC), has berated the leader of the Indigenous People of Biafra, IPOB, Nnamdi Kanu. He ...[Read more]
- Breaking: Femi Adesina reveals what will end NigeriaOctober 23, 2020Presidential spokesman, Femi Adesina has declared that hate may kill Nigeria. He gave the warning in an article on Thursday titled ‘If Nigeria dies, ...[Read more]
- See full list of police officers being prosecuted by Lagos State GovtOctober 23, 2020The Lagos State Governor, Babajide Sanwo-Olu, on Friday, released the names of police officers being prosecuted for various human rights violations ...[Read more]
- I’m So Hurt For Our Generation –Davido reacts to the current situation of NigeriaOctober 23, 2020I’m So Hurt For Our Generation – Davido Cries For His Generation Singer Davido has cried for his generation saying he’s so hurt looking at how things ...[Read more]