Rochas Okorocha, the Senator representing Imo West on the platform of the All Progressives Congress, APC, is in jubilant mood following the victory of Edo State Governor, Godwin Obaseki, in Saturday’s governorship election.
Reacting to the defeat of his party, APC, in the just concluded election, Okorocha said the people of Edo State revolted against injustice during the just concluded governorship election.
It is worthy of note that Okorocha himself is not much on a good term with the APC after what happened during the last Edo governorship election.
Speaking with journalists yesterday, the former Governor of Imo State recalled warning of a possible implosion in the party if the leadership of the APC, failed to address some issues threatening the party’s sustenance.
Okorocha: “I will not congratulate the PDP, I will congratulate the Edo people. I congratulate them for standing up against injustice because the people that voted for Obaseki are not only PDP, even people in the APC voted for him.
“They want to stand up for injustice, Edo people are not docile, they know what they want and how they want it.”
Also, the immediate past Senate President of Nigeria, Dr. Bukola Saraki is like Okorocha happy with Obaseki’s victory, saying stating that his victory had several symbolic representations for Nigeria and its fledging democracy.
Saraki said; “The result of the Edo election represents the true wish of the people who stood firmly behind their Governor against power mongers who were determined to foist their choice on the people. It represents the will of the people to vote in free, fair, credible and peaceful elections. The people of Edo State who had sleepless nights in order to protect their votes, those who rejected the cash being thrown around to buy their votes and the intimidation to force them to compromise their belief, deserve our praise. Therefore, my congratulations go to all the people of Edo State.
“Let me give kudos to the leaders and governors in our party, the PDP, for working together to achieve this victory. The PDP leaders and members in Edo State who whole-heartedly accepted Governor Obaseki since he joined the party and co-operated with him to bring about this victory deserve to be appreciated.
“The result of the just concluded election also represents the fact that our people actually desire to be governed by a truly democratic government headed by those they genuinely voted for. It represents the fact that our security and electoral officials can conduct free and fair elections if they have the right atmosphere. We are happy that throughout this election we did not see the military brutalizing the people or security officials supervising the snatching of ballot boxes and vandalisation of votes. Thus, the military and other security agencies deserve commendation for this successful poll.
“Also, we saw how the INEC officials maturely handled the complaints of the APC agent who sought to create confusion at the state collation centre when the Orihomwon Local Government result was about to be declared. The INEC and its officials deserve to be commended for their neutrality in this election.
“We can see that the result represents realistic figures from one local government area to the other. No case of outlandish figures being reeled out. That is also a sign of some level of credibility in the process. It is for the above reasons that I have to commend President Muhammadu Buhari for keeping the military out of this election and for giving the instructions that led to the apparent neutrality of members of the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) and other security officials in the entire process”, Saraki stated.
He further urged Governor Obaseki to see his victory as a charge by the people to intensify his focus on development of the state and the welfare of its people.
“The Edo election result is a victory for our country, her people and democracy. We have shown that the glory of the country is more valuable to the citizens than the wish of a tiny power clique,” he concluded.
Eco City Reporters
- Manchester United vs. Chelsea: Three significant points ahead of the weekend showdownIn SportsOctober 24, 2020Manchester United would lock horns with Frank Lampard’s side as the Premier League gets hot by the day. The match will be laden with expectations as ...[Read more]
- Actress Uche Elendu Opens GoFundMe After Her Store Was Looted By HoodlumsOctober 24, 2020Nollywood actress, Uche Elendu has set up a GoFundMe account for financial support following the plunder of her store a few days prior. The actress ...[Read more]
- Army surrounds Covid-19 Palliative warehouse in BeninIn EndSARSOctober 24, 2020Following the instability crisis and unrest in the country, warehouses stockpiled with relief items prepared to cater to the issue of hunger that ...[Read more]
- What happen in Nigerian can happen in Ghana, John Mahama tells Ghana govtOctober 24, 2020Former president and opposition leader of the National Democratic Congress, John Mahama, has drawn a parallel between the current situation in ...[Read more]
- Let’s keep hope alive, Vee sends word of encouragements to NigeriansOctober 24, 2020Former BBNaija housemate Vee has sent words of encouragement to all Nigerians on the street protesting for an end to police brutality. Vee In a post ...[Read more]
- DJ Switch explains the real ordeal at Lekki toll gate shooting(Watch Video)October 24, 2020Renowned Nigerian Disc Jockey and a key player in the #EndSARS protest, DJ Switch has officially addressed her teaming fans on what exactly happened ...[Read more]
- See those who won BBNaija Brighto giveaway he promised on Wathoni’s birthdayIn BBNaijaOctober 24, 2020Former BBNaija housemate Brighto has finally announced the names of people who won the giveaway he promised on Wathoni’s birthday. Brighto If readers ...[Read more]
- BBNaija star, Tacha advises Nigerians to keep protecting and caring for each other’s well beingOctober 24, 2020Former BBNaija housemate Tacha has advised Nigerians to keep protecting and caring for each other’s well being in these difficult times. Tacha ...[Read more]
- Rita Dominic blast Nigerians who support bad government, See what she saidOctober 24, 2020Renowned Nigerian actress of Nollywood fame, Rita Dominic has come out to jab the supportive individuals who are working for the very leaders ...[Read more]
- Watch the heartbreaking video of the girl who lost her boyfriend to the Lekki shootingIn EndSARSOctober 24, 2020Even as protests rage on the streets of Nigeria, more stories are emerging of innocent people gunned to death by soldiers. And though many prominent ...[Read more]