US Sen. Dianne Feinstein’s wealthy investment banker husband used his influence to help an under-qualified student get into the University of California, Berkeley, according to a new report.
Richard Blum, a UC alum and regent since 2002, penned a letter to the school chancellor’s office on behalf of the unnamed student, who was waitlisted and had just a 26 percent chance of getting into the prestigious university, the San Jose Mercury News reported Thursday.
Blum’s letter was forwarded to UC’s admissions office, which prioritized the student’s application over more qualified applicants, the outlet said.
“It is therefore likely that the applicant whom the regent recommended would have been on a list that received priority admission from the waitlist,” an audit of Cal’s admissions practices released Tuesday said.
“Given the low likelihood of this applicant’s admission and the prominent and influential role that regents have within the university, we conclude that the decision to admit this applicant was likely influenced by the regent’s advocacy.”
The audit did not identify the regent by name, but university spokeswoman Margarita Fernandez confirmed to the Mercury News it was Blum.
Reached by phone by the paper, Blum said he’s written letters of recommendation for years, and never thought they “ever had much influence.”
“This is the first time I’ve heard that maybe I did something that wasn’t right,” he said. “I think it’s a bunch of nonsense.”
The UC audit found that the school considered “inappropriate factors” in admitting 64 applicants over more qualified students. Twenty-two got in with beefed-up athletic resumes, while 42 relied on ties to wealthy and influential donors and staffers.
The majority of the students were white and at least half came from families with annual incomes of $150,000 and above, the audit said.
The review comes on the heels of the unrelated, massive college admissions bribery scandal that ensnared the California university.
Among the parents busted in the scams were “Full House” actress Lori Loughlin and “Desperate Housewives” star Felicity Huffman.
New York Post
- Nigerian players abroad roundupOctober 19, 2020Nigerian players across Europe were in brilliant forms for their respective clubs last week. There were goals, impressive midfield shifts and ...[Read more]
- Top 10 Female Nigerian Celebrities With The Most Followers On InstagramOctober 19, 2020Social Media is the only place by which famous people speak with their fans. Practically the entirety of our Nigerian VIPs can be found on these ...[Read more]
- Premier League: African players who shined last weekendOctober 19, 2020African players were not left out of the tick of the action as a couple of them wrapped up the week with positive performance to help out their ...[Read more]
- 11 Nigerian players who stood out for clubs last weekendOctober 19, 2020The last weekend actions across Europe saw Nigerian players performing for their respective clubs. There is a lot of positive showing from Nigerians ...[Read more]
- Watch Nigerian Actress Rita Edouchie Protest Against SARS In Latest VideoOctober 19, 2020Nigerian actress Rita Edouchie has add her voice to the progressing #EndSARS protest going in the nation. In a video posted on the web, the ...[Read more]
- Bruno Fernandes reacts as Solskjaer makes him Man Utd captainOctober 19, 2020Manchester United midfielder, Bruno Fernandes, has said that he was honoured after manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer made him captain ahead of the Red ...[Read more]
- Music Producer Don Jazzy Sends A Message To Nigerian Soldiers (+Video)October 19, 2020Music producer Don Jazzy has sent a ground-breaking message to the valiant and courageous Nigerian soldiers conveyed to set out on on operation ...[Read more]
- See Nigerians Reactions As Delta State Deputy Speaker’s Mansion Submerged In Flood (+Photos)In Local NewsOctober 19, 2020A week ago, a weighty deluge brought about a flood at the masion of Hon Osanebi Ossai Friday, Delta State Deputy Speaker. Photographs of the house ...[Read more]
- #ENDSARS: Protest Get More Hot A Youths Block Third Mainland BridgeOctober 19, 2020The Adekunle part of Third Mainland Bridge in Lagos State was on Monday obstructed by youths protesting against police brutality in Nigeria. EndSARS ...[Read more]
- Guardiola gives condition for Aguero to sign new Man City contractOctober 19, 2020Manchester City manager, Pep Guardiola, has given a condition for striker, Sergio Aguero, to sign a new contract at the club. Guardiola said that the ...[Read more]
Join The Discussion👇🏾
- on Rita Dominic and Kate Henshaw Joins #EndSARS protest yes o!! They will know that we own this country.
- on See Amazing Photos Of A Village In Abia State Nicknamed “Small London” (+Photos) You guys should come to my ebonyi and see that this one is small
- on Meet Man Who Employs His Biological Son As Security Man In His Company In Nigeria (+Photo) Hmm... Wetin concern me
- on Newcastle vs Man Utd: Paul Scholes blasts Cavani Time shall Tell
- on Man Kills His Parents In Enugu During Misunderstanding God why, okay why did village people called police, y can't theme kill…
- on Police Bust S3x Party, Arrest Guys While Having S3x With The Ladies (Photos) This idiots deserve what's happening to them
- on Kizz Daniels Finally Reveals The Girl He Is Dating Good evening
- on Kizz Daniels Finally Reveals The Girl He Is Dating Hello
- on Residents In Tears As Tenant Stabs Landlord To Death (+Graphic photos) What a world may be is fustration.RIP Mr landlord
- on Residents In Tears As Tenant Stabs Landlord To Death (+Graphic photos) Hmm what a world,Rip