JAKARTA – Indonesia is offering free tours and staycations to 4,440 residents of its resort island of Bali, in a seven-week tourism dry-run to promote the international holiday hotspot and test its coronavirus health protocols.
Authorities halted tourism in Indonesia’s prime attraction in April to prevent the spread of the virus, devastating its economy.
Though it reopened for local visitors in July, it is struggling to get back on track and has also seen infection numbers climb.
I Putu Astawa, chief of Bali’s tourism agency, told Reuters that 4,440 participants would be separated into 12 groups and given two-night stays at resorts between Oct. 7 and Nov. 27 to test out measures designed to keep visitors safe.
The trips will include local tours and participants are expected to promote “New Normal Bali” on social media.
Bali last year had more than 10 million visitors, 6.3 million of which were foreigners, Astawa said.
The staycation plan was announced on a day when Indonesia reported 4,634 new coronavirus cases, a record for new daily infections, bringing the total number to 262,022. Its death toll of 10,105 is Southeast Asia’s biggest.
On average, Bali recorded 48 cases per day from Aug. 1 to August 23. It recorded 127 on average cases per day in all of September.
Bali had initially weathered the health crisis better than other parts of Indonesia, but coronavirus cases spiked after it reopened to domestic tourism.
“Lots of people gather and throw parties at the beach,” said I Gusti Agung Ngurah Anom, chairman of the Indonesian medical association in Bali.
New York Post
- Kwara State Govt speaks on looted COVID-19 palliatives in the state on lootedOctober 24, 2020In an announcement signed by the State Commissioner for Communications, Harriet Afolabi-Oshatimehin, the rest of the palliatives in the stockroom ...[Read more]
- Match Day 6: Three key Premier League matches to watch this weekendOctober 24, 2020The Premier League match enters week six as we look forward to mouthwatering games at the weekend. Chelsea would take on Manchester United, the same ...[Read more]
- Nadia Buari sympathies with Nigerian over #EndSARS protestOctober 24, 2020Ghanaian actress who has played many roles in Nollywood movies, Nadia Buari has sent her words of sympathies and encouragement to the Nigerians who ...[Read more]
- Omotola Jalade-Ekeinde asks Nigerians for forgiveness over Lekki Protest commentOctober 24, 2020Omotola Jalade-Ekeinde has retracted and requested for Nigerians forgiveness for the uncaring comment she made on her Twitter page following the ...[Read more]
- “IF YOU EVER GET TIRED,LEARN TO REST NOT QUIT”, Somadina motivates fansOctober 24, 2020Popular Nigerian actor and ex-lover of Nigerian billionaire’s wife Regina Daniels, Somadina Adinma has taken to social media to motivate his fans and ...[Read more]
- See what Davido’s new post that got fans talkingOctober 24, 2020Nigerian singer and songwriter Davido has taken to social media to reveal his belief. Even though some people believe that God does not exist, the ...[Read more]
- EndSARS protesters have reportedly set ablaze the statue of the late Dr Nnamdi Azikiwe at Awka, See whyIn EndSARSOctober 24, 2020Angry EndSARS protesters have reportedly set ablaze the statue of pioneer President of Nigeria, the late Dr Nnamdi Azikiwe at Denis Memorial Grammar ...[Read more]
- Nollywood actress Destiny Etiko Lament over the current state of NigeriaOctober 24, 2020Nollywood actress Destiny Etiko has taken to social media to lament over Nigeria being a fail country because of bad leaders. Destiny Etiko The ...[Read more]
- Please stay at home if you don’t have any need to go outside, BBNaija Wathoni advises LagosiansIn BBNaijaOctober 24, 2020Former BBNaija housemate Wathoni has advised citizens to stay at home if they do not have anything to do outside. Wathoni The Lagos state government ...[Read more]
- Arsenal vs Leicester City: Arteta provides update on Willian, Ceballos, othersIn SportsOctober 24, 2020Arsenal boss, Mikel Arteta, has provided the latest update on Willian and Dani Ceballos ahead of his side’s Premier League clash with Leicester City ...[Read more]