LAUSANNE, Switzerland — Swiss authorities ordered 2,500 students at an elite hospitality management school to quarantine themselves due to a coronavirus outbreak allegedly linked to off-campus partying, the latest back-to-school sign of higher education’s place in the pandemic.
Authorities in Switzerland’s Vaud canton, or region, said all undergraduates at the Ecole Hoteliere de Lausanne, or the Lausanne Hospitality Management University in English, were told to quarantine at home both on and off campus because the virus already had spread too widely for a more limited order.
“Significant outbreaks of infection have appeared at several levels of training, making impossible a more targeted closure than that involving 2,500 students,” the Vaud regional office said in a statement. “Until Sept. 28, the students must stay home.”
The statement said an early investigation indicated that “one or more parties was at the origin of these many outbreaks.” The local authorities reiterated a call for party-goers to demonstrate a ”responsible attitude” by wearing masks, practicing social distancing, tracing their contacts and watching for COVID-19 symptoms.
Ines Blal, the university’s executive dean, said administrators had warned students against holding start-of-term parties, even ff-campus and outside the school’s authority — and said a “disciplinary investigation” was underway. She said the school had already been bracing for “worst-case scenarios” in recent months by putting courses online and rolling out distance-learning programs.
University spokesman Sherif Mamdouh said 11 students had tested positive for the coronavirus in connection with the outbreak so far and none required hospitalization. Mamdouh said only 67 of the undergraduates affected by the quarantine live on campus, while all the rest live off-campus.
The university, which has been heralded as one of the world’s top schools in the field, has a total student body of about 3,500, including people pursuing advanced degrees.
Mamdouh said the quarantine runs only through Monday because Swiss authorities factored in a possible 14-day virus incubation period since this month’s start-of-term parties.
He could not explain why faculty members or graduate students were not included in the quarantine order, but said it was a decision made by the cantonal authorities. They were not immediately available for comment.
Switzerland is not alone in facing a back-to-school virus surge among students. The World Health Organization, national health authorities and others have cautioned that young people have been a key driver for the continued spread of the coronavirus in several countries in recent weeks.
The University of Glasgow in Scotland said Thursday that over 600 of its students had to self-isolate after 124 reported cases emerged in “two significant clusters” at separate residence halls.
The university said it believed the outbreak was largely a result of social activity in mid-September during “Freshers’ Week,” when new students arrive and socialize.
The university said none of its infected students had to receive hospital treatment. It stressed that anyone who breaks coronavirus restrictions could be kicked out of student housing or suspended.
British Health Secretary Matt Hancock told the BBC that the outbreak was worrying, saying: “The more young people get it the more they spread it to old people.”
The latest government figures in France show that 22% of the country’s currently active virus clusters emerged at schools and universities. The United States has also seen clusters linked to college students. Denmark’s education minister has urged parents and schools to cancel all social events, including camps and birthday parties.
World Health Organization spokeswoman Margaret Harris said that while it is “unfair to just put it on the young people,” it’s also unsurprising that teenagers and young adults might assume they don’t need to worry about succumbing to the virus.
“Perceptions do indicate that they don’t feel they are as at-risk as older groups” Harris said, particularly in the wake of data showing younger people typically have less-severe cases of COVID-19.
“The message they have heard is: ‘You are out of jail, go out and play,’” she said. “We don’t want to be the fun police, but we want people to have fun safely.”
New York Post
- Solskjaer leaves out two senior players as Man Utd submit 25-man EPL squad [Full List]October 20, 2020Manchester United manager, Ole Gunnar Solskjaer, has left Phil Jones and Sergio Romero from his 25-man squad for the Premier League. The pair were ...[Read more]
- EPL: Three exceptional players keeping Solskjaer’s job at Manchester UnitedOctober 20, 2020The Manchester United side started the season poorly and this has raised fears about Ole Gunnar Solskjaer’s capacity to continue on the United hot ...[Read more]
- The Veteran Nollywood actress, Joke Silva recounts how she discovered she was adopted by her parentsOctober 20, 2020The Veteran Nollywood actress, Joke Silva has recounted how she discovered she was adopted by her parents. Sharing the story, the 59-year-old TV ...[Read more]
- Singers Falz Cries Over The Shooting At Lekki Toll GateOctober 20, 2020As indicated by reports spreading all over the web, Military men started shooting at quiet protesters and it caused commotion at what was already a ...[Read more]
- 1xBet Login Process and Operator’s AdvantagesIn SponsoredOctober 20, 2020Even a beginner will have absolutely no problems with 1xBet registering on the platform, navigating it and placing bets. The 1xBet website provides ...[Read more]
- #ENDSARS: Actress, Ufuoma McDermott Cries Over Shooting At Lekki Toll Gate (+Video)October 20, 2020Nollywood Actress, Ufuoma McDermott has responded to the lamentable episode that happened at Lekki Toll Gate where soldiers reportedly opened fire on ...[Read more]
- Nollywood actress, Mercy Aigbe believes nationwide protest will give more ladies husbands this yearIn NewsOctober 20, 2020The Nollywood actress, Mercy Aigbe, has opined that the ongoing nationwide #Endsars protest will give ladies husbands this year more than popular ...[Read more]
- We will take back our country-Genevieve Nnaji drops mind blowing captions, see details hereOctober 20, 2020The popular Nollywood actress Genevieve Nnaji has transmitted powerful imagery with a caption that has evoked a lot of reactions from the charged ...[Read more]
- Champions League: Solskjaer speaks on Ighalo’s future following Cavani’s arrivalIn SportsOctober 20, 2020Manchester United boss, Ole Gunnar Solskjaer, has assured Odion Ighalo that he still remains part of his plans, despite the arrival of Edinson ...[Read more]
- Vee and Neo in the news again, See what’s up with the two lovebirdsIn BBNaijaOctober 20, 2020The 2020 Big Brother Naija finalists, Vee and Neo, had some romantic conversation on Twitter and fans actually can’t keep calm. In fact we all ...[Read more]
- on ‘Men With Big D!ks Can Talk to Me Anyhow – Lydia Forson Explains in A New Video I have one baby, and I know how to work with it.
- on Rita Dominic and Kate Henshaw Joins #EndSARS protest yes o!! They will know that we own this country.
- on See Amazing Photos Of A Village In Abia State Nicknamed “Small London” (+Photos) You guys should come to my ebonyi and see that this one is small
- on Meet Man Who Employs His Biological Son As Security Man In His Company In Nigeria (+Photo) Hmm... Wetin concern me
- on Newcastle vs Man Utd: Paul Scholes blasts Cavani Time shall Tell
- on Man Kills His Parents In Enugu During Misunderstanding God why, okay why did village people called police, y can't theme kill…
- on Police Bust S3x Party, Arrest Guys While Having S3x With The Ladies (Photos) This idiots deserve what's happening to them
- on Kizz Daniels Finally Reveals The Girl He Is Dating Good evening
- on Kizz Daniels Finally Reveals The Girl He Is Dating Hello
- on Residents In Tears As Tenant Stabs Landlord To Death (+Graphic photos) What a world may be is fustration.RIP Mr landlord