The state Health Department would finally have to reveal how many nursing home residents died of COVID-19 after being sent to hospitals, under a pair of bills introduced in the state Senate on Thursday.
Separate pieces of legislation from both sides of the aisle aim to close a loophole through which only fatalities that actually take place in nursing homes are listed on the DOH website.
A proposal sponsored by Committee on Health Chairman Gustavo Rivera (D-The Bronx) would force the DOH to post comprehensive, daily updates from its online Health Emergency Response Data System.
The electronic database, known as HERDS, compiles real-time information from local health departments, hospitals, nursing homes, assisted living facilities and other sources to track disease outbreaks.
“During the legislatures’ August 2020, joint public hearings on COVID-19 in residential health care facilities it became clear that several key pieces of information should be made more public and transparent,” Rivera said in a memo accompanying his bill.
“Most notably, New York’s accounting of nursing home and adult care facility resident deaths do not include those residents who had been transferred to a hospital and then passed away.”
He added: “While the official tally at the time of the hearings was approximately 6,500 deaths of residents in facilities, many speculated the number was significantly higher and that the undercounting gives an inaccurate and rosier picture of what actually happened in New York.”
As many as 11,000 nursing home residents may have died from the coronavirus in both hospitals and nursing homes, according to an August estimate by The Associated Press, but Gov. Andrew Cuomo has defended the DOH’s reporting method, saying, “If you die in the nursing home, it’s a nursing home death. If you die in the hospital, it’s called a hospital death.”
The Committee on Health’s ranking member, state Sen. Sue Serino (R-Hyde Park), introduced a similar bill that she said “would expressly require the reporting of the total number of individuals transferred from a nursing home to a hospital due to COVID-19 and the total number of COVID-19 patients discharged from a hospital to a nursing home,” including back to March 1.
The latter figures would help shine a light on the impact of a controversial, March 25 directive from the Health Department that required nursing homes to admit “medically stable” coronavirus patients discharged from hospitals.
Critics have blamed the since-rescinded policy for fueling fatalities in nursing homes — an accusation that Cuomo has strenuously denied.
It’s now under review by the US Department of Justice.
Last week, an Albany-based think tank sued the DOH to obtain daily tallies of the number of nursing home residents who’ve died of COVID-19 in hospitals after being sent for treatment.
The Empire Center for Public Policy filed a request for the data Aug. 3 but was told it wouldn’t be available until Nov. 5 because “a diligent search for responsive documents is still being conducted,” according to the suit filed in Albany state Supreme Court.
The Empire Center accused the DOH of “hiding” the numbers so Cuomo and Health Commissioner Howard Zucker can “claim that New York’s nursing home response was better than most other states.”
in a written statement, DOH spokesman Gary Holmes said, “While the Department does not comment on pending legislation, we do agree with displaying accurate, reliable data and using it to make smart public health decisions. We’ve done that from the beginning. As we said at the hearing, and many times since, additional data will be released once a careful review is complete.”
New York Post
- Hilary Clinton Calls On President Buhari To Stop The Killing Of #ENDSARS ProtestersOctober 20, 2020Former United States presidential candidate, Hilary Clinton, has called on President Muhammadu Buhari and the Nigeria Army to stop the murdering of ...[Read more]
- #EndSARS: Burna Boy Cries Out Over The Shooting Of Protesters At Lekki Toll GateOctober 20, 2020Burna Boy has reacted to the shooting of peaceful EndSARS protesters at Lekki Toll Gate today, October 20. He tweeted: “These are the most serious ...[Read more]
- BREAKING!!! IPOB Leader Mazi Nnamdi Kanu Declares War In Nigeria, Orders Biafrans To Kill Every Policeman, Army Officer (+Audio)October 20, 2020Reaching Newzandar News has it that the leader of the indigenous People Of Biafra, Mazi Nnamdi Kanu on Tuesday declared war In Nigeria after he heard ...[Read more]
- Solskjaer leaves out two senior players as Man Utd submit 25-man EPL squad [Full List]October 20, 2020Manchester United manager, Ole Gunnar Solskjaer, has left Phil Jones and Sergio Romero from his 25-man squad for the Premier League. The pair were ...[Read more]
- EPL: Three exceptional players keeping Solskjaer’s job at Manchester UnitedOctober 20, 2020The Manchester United side started the season poorly and this has raised fears about Ole Gunnar Solskjaer’s capacity to continue on the United hot ...[Read more]
- The Veteran Nollywood actress, Joke Silva recounts how she discovered she was adopted by her parentsOctober 20, 2020The Veteran Nollywood actress, Joke Silva has recounted how she discovered she was adopted by her parents. Sharing the story, the 59-year-old TV ...[Read more]
- Singer Falz Cries Over The Shooting At Lekki Toll GateOctober 20, 2020As indicated by reports spreading all over the web, Military men started shooting at quiet protesters and it caused commotion at what was already a ...[Read more]
- 1xBet Login Process and Operator’s AdvantagesIn SponsoredOctober 20, 2020Even a beginner will have absolutely no problems with 1xBet registering on the platform, navigating it and placing bets. The 1xBet website provides ...[Read more]
- #ENDSARS: Actress, Ufuoma McDermott Cries Over Shooting At Lekki Toll Gate (+Video)October 20, 2020Nollywood Actress, Ufuoma McDermott has responded to the lamentable episode that happened at Lekki Toll Gate where soldiers reportedly opened fire on ...[Read more]
- Nollywood actress, Mercy Aigbe believes nationwide protest will give more ladies husbands this yearIn NewsOctober 20, 2020The Nollywood actress, Mercy Aigbe, has opined that the ongoing nationwide #Endsars protest will give ladies husbands this year more than popular ...[Read more]
- on ‘Men With Big D!ks Can Talk to Me Anyhow – Lydia Forson Explains in A New Video I have one baby, and I know how to work with it.
- on Rita Dominic and Kate Henshaw Joins #EndSARS protest yes o!! They will know that we own this country.
- on See Amazing Photos Of A Village In Abia State Nicknamed “Small London” (+Photos) You guys should come to my ebonyi and see that this one is small
- on Meet Man Who Employs His Biological Son As Security Man In His Company In Nigeria (+Photo) Hmm... Wetin concern me
- on Newcastle vs Man Utd: Paul Scholes blasts Cavani Time shall Tell
- on Man Kills His Parents In Enugu During Misunderstanding God why, okay why did village people called police, y can't theme kill…
- on Police Bust S3x Party, Arrest Guys While Having S3x With The Ladies (Photos) This idiots deserve what's happening to them
- on Kizz Daniels Finally Reveals The Girl He Is Dating Good evening
- on Kizz Daniels Finally Reveals The Girl He Is Dating Hello
- on Residents In Tears As Tenant Stabs Landlord To Death (+Graphic photos) What a world may be is fustration.RIP Mr landlord