Former pro basketball player and NBA analyst Charles Barkley was blasted on social media after he defended the Louisville police — insisting that the shooting of Breonna Taylor shouldn’t be “lumped in” with other high-profile shootings of unarmed black people.
On the TNT pregame show for the Los Angeles Lakers and Denver Nuggets game four of the Western Conference Finals, Barkley sounded off about his thoughts on the case.
“I don’t think this one was like George Floyd or Ahmaud Arbery and things like that,” Barkley said, according to The Hollywood Reporter.
“I feel sad that this young lady lost her life. I think this one was — the no-knock warrant is something we need to get rid of … across the board. But I am worried to lump all these situations in together.”
“And I just feel bad that the young lady lost her life,” he added. “But we do have to take into account that her boyfriend shot at the cops and shot a cop. So like I say, even though I am really sorry she lost her life, I just don’t think we can put this in the same situation as George Floyd or Ahmaud Arbery.”
He also pushed back against the nationwide movement to defund police departments.
“I hear these fools on TV talking about defund the police and things like that,” Barkley said. “I’m like, wait a minute, who are black people supposed to call? Ghostbusters? When we have crime in our neighborhoods?”
But people quickly took to social media to criticize his comments.
“I didn’t know I could be this disgusted by Charles Barkley,” Democratic strategist Adam Parkhomenko wrote.
“What is Charles Barkley talking about???????????????” journalist Britni Danielle wrote. “This [Brianna Taylor’s death] isn’t like Ahmaud Arbery and George Floyd. You’re right. It’s not, because she was at home, asleep in her bed. TF???”
But fellow Hall of Famer and commentator Shaquille O’Neal defended Charles’ opinion.
“I have to agree with Charles, this one is sort of lumped in,” O’Neal said.
“You have to get a warrant signed and some states do allow no-knock warrants. And everyone was asking for murder charges. When you talk about murder, you have to show intent. A homicide occurred and we’re sorry a homicide occurred. When you have a warrant signed by the judge, you are doing your job, and I would imagine that you would fire back.”
New York Post
- Actor Alex Ekubo Says Lekki Toll Plaza, Should Be Renamed Lekki Memorial In Memory Of Our Fallen ComradesOctober 24, 2020In the wake of the anarchy that went before a Peaceful protest that required an end to police brutality and saw some youthful Nigerian’s die, ...[Read more]
- Actress Doris Ogala Accuses Uche Elendu Of Lying That Her Store Was LootedOctober 24, 2020Nigerian actress, Doris Ogala has accused her fellow actress Uche Elendu for lying that her store was plundered, following the mayhem from hooligans ...[Read more]
- Shehu Sani Begs hoodlums To Bring Back Oba Of Lagos’s StaffOctober 23, 2020Human right activist, Shehu Sani has begged whoever is in the position of the staff and shoe of the Oba of Lagos. Not too long ago, hoodlums broke ...[Read more]
- 69 People Lost Their Lives In The #EndSARS Protest – BuhariOctober 23, 2020Nigeria’s President, Muhammadu Buhari has revealed that 69 people lost their lives in the #EndSARS protest in the nation. As per the BBC, ...[Read more]
- Presidency Finally Reveals Why Buhari Didn’t Speak On Lekki Toll Gate ShootingOctober 23, 2020The Presidency has revealed why President Buhari didn’t address Nigerians with respect to the Lekki toll gate shooting, during his speech ...[Read more]
- Liverpool Vs. Sheffield United: How Klopp’s side could line-up for EPL clashOctober 23, 2020Liverpool will play host to Sheffield United this weekend as they hope to return to winning ways in the Premier League. The English Champions have ...[Read more]
- Manchester United Vs Chelsea: How Red Devils could line-up against Frank Lampard sideOctober 23, 2020Manchester United will be looking to maintain the momentum owing to their Champions League victory against French side Paris Saint-Germain at the ...[Read more]
- Man Utd vs Chelsea: Pogba warned over new contractOctober 23, 2020Manchester United have informed Paul Pogba they have no desire to entice him to remain at the club with a bumper new contract, ESPN reports. Pogba ...[Read more]
- Lagos State Deputy Governor, Obafemi Hamzat reveals what actually happened in Lagos protestOctober 23, 2020Lagos State Deputy Governor, Obafemi Hamzat has revealed that genuine protesters were peaceful throughout the End SARS protest which took place ...[Read more]
- Round-up of Nigerian players in European League, Match Day 1October 23, 2020Nigerian players abroad were in action during the week for their respective clubs as the Europa League match took centre stage. There were goals from ...[Read more]