Say “cheese,” Magawa!
This 7-year-old giant African pouched rat on Friday was awarded a British veterinary charity’s top civilian award for animal bravery after sniffing out unexploded landmines in Cambodia.
In addition to 39 landmines, the heroic rodent discovered 28 other items of ordnance across 1.5 million square feet since he was trained by APOPO, a Belgian charity that also works with programs in Angola, Zimbabwe and Mozambique.
The stouthearted squeaker — who was named APOPO’s most successful “HeroRAT” — received the UK charity PDSA’s Gold Medal “for his life-saving bravery and devotion to duty.”
“The work of HeroRAT Magawa and APOPO is truly unique and outstanding,” PDSA head Jan McLoughlin said. “HeroRAT Magawa’s work directly saves and changes the lives of men, women and children who are impacted by these landmines.”
Magawa — who lives in the Cambodian city of Siem Reap — is the first rat to receive the PDSA medal in the 77 years it has been awarded. Other animal heroes have included brave cats, dogs and a pigeon, according to AFP.
APOPO trained the native Tanzanian to detect the chemical compound in explosives by rewarding him with tasty treats such as bananas and peanuts.
Magawa, who alerts his handlers by scratching the ground, can scurry across an area the size of a tennis court in just 30 minutes while attached to a leash.
The 28-inch-long rat weighs a whopping 2.6 pounds, a heavyweight among rodents, but light enough not to set off buried explosives, according to the BBC.
APOPO also decided that the African pouched rats were best suited for the job because of their African origins and life expectancy of up to eight years.
“Unlike metal detectors, the rats ignore scrap metal and only sniff out explosives making them fast and efficient landmine detectors,” said APOPO CEO Christophe Cox.
“This not only saves lives but returns much-needed safe land back to the communities as quickly and cost-effectively as possible,” added Cox, whose charity has 45 rats searching for landmines.
First known as the People’s Dispensary for Sick Animals, PDSA was launched as a free veterinary clinic in 1917 and has used heroic animals since 1943.
More than 60 million people in 59 countries are threatened by landmines and unexploded ordinance, according to APOPO.
In 2018, landmines and other remnants of conflict killed or injured 6,897 people, according to the group.
With Post wires
New York Post
- Police arrests Nollywood Labista as he leads protest in AbaOctober 21, 2020After learning about this unfortunate incident, actress Destiny Etiko has taken to social media to demand the immediate release of her colleague. ...[Read more]
- Ghanian president after seeing the massacre on Tuesday finally speaks about the Nigerian #EndSARS protestOctober 21, 2020Ghanian president after seeing the massacre on Tuesday finally speaks about the Nigerian #EndSARS protest He seem to revel in the fact that he ...[Read more]
- I have spoken to Buhari to settle issue about the #EndSARS protest-Nana Akuffo Addo, Ghana PresidentOctober 21, 2020Nana Akuffo Addo said this in a tweet recently, saying; “I join all well-meaning persons in calling for calm, and the use of dialogue in resolving ...[Read more]
- Moment Fearless Youths Confronted Soldier Who Shot At Them In Agbara (Watch Video)October 21, 2020A viral video has showed the moment some fearless protesters defied an officer who purportedly took shots at them in Agbara region of Lagos state. ...[Read more]
- Staff Of Office Stolen As Hoodlums Attack Palace Of Oba Of Lagos (+Video)October 21, 2020Alleged hoodlums have invaded the Palace of Oba of Lagos and have reportedly stolen his staff of office. Online reports say his palace located ...[Read more]
- Sanwo-Olu’s alleged family house set ablaze by angry mob (+Video)October 21, 2020Lagos state governor, Babajide Sanwo-Olu’s family house has been set on fire by a furious youths. A few chilling reports have followed the ...[Read more]
- “If Buhari does not address us today, then it’s safe to say we don’t have a President” – DJ NeptuneOctober 21, 2020Popular Nigerian Disk Jockey, DJ Neptune has called out president Buhari to address Nigerians on or before 8pm today, October 21. His call is coming ...[Read more]
- BREAKING: Army Arrests ‘masked’ Soldier Who Begged Colleagues Not To Shoot #ENDSARS ProtestersOctober 21, 2020The Nigerian Army has reported the capture of Lance Corporal Harrison Friday who had gone via online media to exhort his partners not to assault ...[Read more]
- #LekkiGenocide: United Nations Sends Strong Warning To BuhariOctober 21, 2020António Guterres, Secretary-General of the United Nations, has required a conclusion to the assault on peaceful #EndSARS protesters in Nigeria. His ...[Read more]
- BREAKING: Mob Overpower Policemen, Seize Their Guns In Ajah (+Videos)October 21, 2020Some online media users have raised an alert of a disorganized scene being recorded at the Lekki-Epe turnpike in Ajah territory of Lagos, in the ...[Read more]
- on ‘Men With Big D!ks Can Talk to Me Anyhow – Lydia Forson Explains in A New Video This is good for nation
- on ‘Men With Big D!ks Can Talk to Me Anyhow – Lydia Forson Explains in A New Video I have one baby, and I know how to work with it.
- on Rita Dominic and Kate Henshaw Joins #EndSARS protest yes o!! They will know that we own this country.
- on See Amazing Photos Of A Village In Abia State Nicknamed “Small London” (+Photos) You guys should come to my ebonyi and see that this one is small
- on Meet Man Who Employs His Biological Son As Security Man In His Company In Nigeria (+Photo) Hmm... Wetin concern me
- on Newcastle vs Man Utd: Paul Scholes blasts Cavani Time shall Tell
- on Man Kills His Parents In Enugu During Misunderstanding God why, okay why did village people called police, y can't theme kill…
- on Police Bust S3x Party, Arrest Guys While Having S3x With The Ladies (Photos) This idiots deserve what's happening to them
- on Kizz Daniels Finally Reveals The Girl He Is Dating Good evening
- on Kizz Daniels Finally Reveals The Girl He Is Dating Hello