The Justice Department is seeking an immediate ban on downloads of WeChat in Apple and Google app stores, saying the Chinese-owned messaging service is a threat to the security of the United States.
Last week the US Commerce Department moved to ban WeChat from US app stores but on Saturday, Magistrate Judge Laurel Beeler in California agreed to delay US restrictions, saying they would affect users’ First Amendment rights.
In a filing Friday, the Justice Department asked Beeler to allow for an immediate ban while the case works its way through court.
WeChat is a messaging-focused app popular with many Chinese-speaking Americans that serves as a lifeline to friends, family, customers and business contacts in China. It’s owned by Chinese tech giant Tencent.
The Justice Department says WeChat allows the Chinese government to collect and use personal data on Americans to advance its own interests. The filing states WeChat has approximately 19 million active daily users in the US in a range of formats, including text, images, video, and audio.
The Justice Department argues that the US will suffer irreparable harm, both substantive and procedural, if the court does not stay its decision.
The Trump administration has targeted WeChat and another Chinese-owned app, TikTok, for national security and data privacy concerns, in the latest flashpoint amid rising tensions between Washington and Beijing.
New York Post
- Match Day 1: Four (4) UEFA Champion League Player’s of the WeekOctober 23, 2020The Champions League may have commenced on a bright note as the 32 qualified team produced the quality they’ve got on the pitch. Though big sides ...[Read more]
- Man Utd vs Chelsea: Ziyech names three team-mates he wants to play withOctober 23, 2020Chelsea winger, Hakim Ziyech, has said he is “really excited” to play with “quality” team-mates, Timo Werner, Kai Havertz and Christian Pulisic. ...[Read more]
- LaLiga: Barcelona told to name Nou Camp after MessiOctober 23, 2020Barcelona defender, Gerard Pique, has told the club to name the redeveloped Camp Nou after Lionel Messi when it is finished. Pique, speaking to La ...[Read more]
- Dino Melaye says Buhari’s speech made him speechlessOctober 23, 2020Dino Melaye, former Kogi West Senator, has criticised President Muhammadu Buhari’s nationwide address over the End SARS protest. Melaye said Buhari’s ...[Read more]
- Nigerians are openly planning relocation from the country after President Buhari’s speechOctober 23, 2020Nigerians are openly planning relocation from the country after President Muhammadu Buhari’s speech. The president Thursday night addressed ...[Read more]
- PDP Blast President Buhari Over National broadcast, Says PMB showed no empathyOctober 23, 2020The Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) has described President Muhammadu Buhari’s address to the nation on Thursday evening, as disappointing and ...[Read more]
- Nnamdi Kanu does not speak for the Igbo Nation, Joe Igbokwe blast Nnamdi KanuOctober 23, 2020Joe Igbokwe, a chieftain of the All Progressive Congress, (APC), has berated the leader of the Indigenous People of Biafra, IPOB, Nnamdi Kanu. He ...[Read more]
- Breaking: Femi Adesina reveals what will end NigeriaOctober 23, 2020Presidential spokesman, Femi Adesina has declared that hate may kill Nigeria. He gave the warning in an article on Thursday titled ‘If Nigeria dies, ...[Read more]
- See full list of police officers being prosecuted by Lagos State GovtOctober 23, 2020The Lagos State Governor, Babajide Sanwo-Olu, on Friday, released the names of police officers being prosecuted for various human rights violations ...[Read more]
- I’m So Hurt For Our Generation –Davido reacts to the current situation of NigeriaOctober 23, 2020I’m So Hurt For Our Generation – Davido Cries For His Generation Singer Davido has cried for his generation saying he’s so hurt looking at how things ...[Read more]