Things are only getting Messi-er with Barcelona.
Lionel Messi decided to stay with the team and not bring them to court over his wish to leave on a free transfer in August, but Barcelona didn’t help its cause this week when it transferred his best friend in the room, Luis Suarez, to Atletico Madrid.
“It will be strange to see you in another shirt and even stranger to play against you,” Messi wrote on Instagram on Friday.
“You deserved to depart for who you are: one of the most important players in the club’s history, winning things as part of a group and individually. Not for them to kick you out as they have done. But the truth is nothing surprises me anymore.”
Suarez had been willing to accept a backup role to stay with Barcelona, but the club still got rid of him after new coach Ronald Koeman told him he wasn’t part of his plans, according to ESPN.
It served as just the latest wrench in the relationship between Messi and Barcelona. The superstar had planned on exercising a clause in his contract that would release him from his deal, but the club argued that he had missed the deadline in June to do so. Messi then said in September he would be staying with Barcelona because the team’s president told him the only way he could leave was by paying the $823 million clause to get out of his contract, according to Goal.com.
Messi wasn’t alone in expressing his displeasure with the way Barcelona handled Suarez’s departure.
“It’s unbelievable how they do things,” Brazillian star Neymar, who played with Barcelona for three seasons, wrote on Messi’s Instagram post, per ESPN.
Suarez still had Messi’s back during a news conference Thursday.
“I have to accept it if the club decides it is time that I go, just like the club should accept it if a player wants to leave,” Suarez said, according to the Associated Press.
New York Post
- Dino Melaye says Buhari’s speech made him speechlessOctober 23, 2020Dino Melaye, former Kogi West Senator, has criticised President Muhammadu Buhari’s nationwide address over the End SARS protest. Melaye said Buhari’s ...[Read more]
- Nigerians are openly planning relocation from the country after President Buhari’s speechOctober 23, 2020Nigerians are openly planning relocation from the country after President Muhammadu Buhari’s speech. The president Thursday night addressed ...[Read more]
- PDP Blast President Buhari Over National broadcast, Says PMB showed no empathyOctober 23, 2020The Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) has described President Muhammadu Buhari’s address to the nation on Thursday evening, as disappointing and ...[Read more]
- Nnamdi Kanu does not speak for the Igbo Nation, Joe Igbokwe blast Nnamdi KanuOctober 23, 2020Joe Igbokwe, a chieftain of the All Progressive Congress, (APC), has berated the leader of the Indigenous People of Biafra, IPOB, Nnamdi Kanu. He ...[Read more]
- Breaking: Femi Adesina reveals what will end NigeriaOctober 23, 2020Presidential spokesman, Femi Adesina has declared that hate may kill Nigeria. He gave the warning in an article on Thursday titled ‘If Nigeria dies, ...[Read more]
- See full list of police officers being prosecuted by Lagos State GovtOctober 23, 2020The Lagos State Governor, Babajide Sanwo-Olu, on Friday, released the names of police officers being prosecuted for various human rights violations ...[Read more]
- I’m So Hurt For Our Generation –Davido reacts to the current situation of NigeriaOctober 23, 2020I’m So Hurt For Our Generation – Davido Cries For His Generation Singer Davido has cried for his generation saying he’s so hurt looking at how things ...[Read more]
- “See my house, my house don full”, Woman shares video of Palliative package she lootedOctober 23, 2020“My House Don Full” – Woman Celebrates After Receiving A Large Number Of COVID-19 Palliatives From Thugs (Video) A video making rounds on social ...[Read more]
- Nigerian Girl expresses Disappointment in Nigerian witches, See whyIn Local NewsOctober 23, 2020Girl Expresses Disappointed In Nigerian Witches Especially Her Father’s Sister A young Nigerian lady has taken to her social media page to express ...[Read more]
- “I Have Not Slept”, Burna Boy reveals his state about Lekki Toll Gate ShootingOctober 23, 2020Lekki Toll Gate Shooting: “I Have Not Slept” – Burna Boy Reveals Popular Nigerian musician, Damini Ebunoluwa Ogulu, simply known as Burna Boy, has ...[Read more]