Two former leaders of a Massachusetts veterans care home where at least 76 people died of the coronavirus have been charged in the deadliest known outbreak of the illness at a long-term care facility in the US, the state’s attorney general said Friday.
Former Holyoke Soldiers’ Home Superintendent Bennett Walsh, 50, and ex-medical chief David Clinton, 71, were indicted by a grand jury — and each charged with five counts of criminal neglect five counts of serious bodily injury.
“We believe this is the first criminal case in the country brought against those involved in nursing homes during the COVID-19 pandemic,” AG Maura Healey told reporters.
A blistering independent report has found that “utterly baffling” decisions made by Walsh and other administrators allowed the deadly bug to run rampant at the facility.
The “worst decision” was to combine two locked dementia units, both of which already housed some infected residents, according to investigators led by former federal prosecutor Mark Pearlstein.
Since March 1, 76 veterans who contracted the disease at the home have died, officials said.
The first — who tested positive March 17 — had exhibited symptoms for weeks, though the staff “did nothing to isolate” him until his test came back positive, allowing him to remain with three roommates, roam through the facility and spend time in a common room, investigators found.
When a social worker expressed concerns about combining the two dementia units, the chief nursing officer said “it didn’t matter because (the veterans) were all exposed anyway and there was not enough staff to cover both units,” investigators said.
One worker who helped move the dementia patients told authorities she felt like she was “walking (the veterans) to their death.”
As the disease spread, leadership began “preparing for the deaths of scores of residents,” according to the report.
Walsh has defended his actions, saying state officials initially refused in March to send National Guard aid amid serious staffing shortages at the home.
On March 30, Walsh was placed on administrative leave and Val Liptak, the CEO of Western Massachusetts Hospital, took over operations.
Walsh was fired after the release of the damning report but a judge invalidated his termination earlier this week after his attorney argued that only the home’s board of trustees has the authority to hire and fire the superintendent.
An attorney for Walsh did not immediately respond to a request for comment by the Associated Press on Friday. It was not immediately clear whether Clinton has an attorney.
The Massachusetts US Attorney’s Office and US Department of Justice’s Civil Rights Division also are investigating whether officials violated residents’ rights by failing to provide them adequate medical care.
With Post wires
New York Post
- BBNaija star Dorathy bags another deal, see which companyIn BBNaijaOctober 19, 2020The Ex-housemate of BBNaija season 5, Dorathy has bagged another deal with Mapia Tea and Fitness Company. After signing a lucrative deal with ...[Read more]
- Regina Daniels shades husband, See what she saidOctober 19, 2020The popular Billionaire wife Regina Daniels has started shading others with her husband’s wealth as she claims she’s counting her money hence she ...[Read more]
- American star, Chris Brown joins #EndSARSOctober 19, 2020The American artiste, Chris Brown has used his social media platforms to join the EndSars demonstration across the globe Nigerians have come together ...[Read more]
- See Reactions As Wizkid And Reekado Unfollows Each Other On Social MediaOctober 19, 2020Nigerian artists Wizkid and Reeekado Banks have started a ton of responses from fans after Wizkid offended and savaged Reekado via online media for ...[Read more]
- Broda Shaggi shares experience with touts, You will need to read itOctober 19, 2020Nigerian thespian, Samuel Perry otherwise known as Broda Shaggi recently suffered extortion at the hands of touts who blocked his part and damaged ...[Read more]
- #ENDSARS: We Will Not Give Up, We Will Continue The Fight For New Better Nigeria – Don JazzyOctober 19, 2020Regarded music maker, Don Jazzy honored every departed soul, because of police severity, on his Twitter page. In a short message, the Mavin Records, ...[Read more]
- #ENDSARS: Legendary Musician 2Face Idibia Charges Security Agencies To Join ProtestOctober 19, 20202Face Idibia has asked the police and other security organizations to join the protest for a superior Nigeria since they aren’t slaves. As ...[Read more]
- #ENDSARS: BBNaija Housemate, Neo Akpofure Praises His Fellow Protesters For Standing FirmIn BBNaijaOctober 19, 2020Big Brother Naija housemate, Neo Akpofure has praised his fellow protesters for standing firm and battling for a good Nigeria. Nigerian youths have ...[Read more]
- #ENDSARS: Protesters Savages Billionaire Terry Waya For Telling Them To Leave The Street, Calling Them His Fellow ProtestersOctober 19, 2020Billionaire Terry Waya, father of BBNaija star Kiddwaya has asked protestors to leave the road to permit harmony rule for the legislature to chip ...[Read more]
- Army Officer, Emaikwu Maxwell Denies Threatening #ENDSARS Protesters, Says His Facebook Page Was HackedIn Local NewsOctober 19, 2020An Army Officer, Emaikwu Maxwell claims he has no hand in the post compromising the lives of protestors on his Facebook page. The post which has ...[Read more]
Join The Discussion👇🏾
- on Rita Dominic and Kate Henshaw Joins #EndSARS protest yes o!! They will know that we own this country.
- on See Amazing Photos Of A Village In Abia State Nicknamed “Small London” (+Photos) You guys should come to my ebonyi and see that this one is small
- on Meet Man Who Employs His Biological Son As Security Man In His Company In Nigeria (+Photo) Hmm... Wetin concern me
- on Newcastle vs Man Utd: Paul Scholes blasts Cavani Time shall Tell
- on Man Kills His Parents In Enugu During Misunderstanding God why, okay why did village people called police, y can't theme kill…
- on Police Bust S3x Party, Arrest Guys While Having S3x With The Ladies (Photos) This idiots deserve what's happening to them
- on Kizz Daniels Finally Reveals The Girl He Is Dating Good evening
- on Kizz Daniels Finally Reveals The Girl He Is Dating Hello
- on Residents In Tears As Tenant Stabs Landlord To Death (+Graphic photos) What a world may be is fustration.RIP Mr landlord
- on Residents In Tears As Tenant Stabs Landlord To Death (+Graphic photos) Hmm what a world,Rip