LOS ANGELES – Five Republican US senators have urged Netflix to reconsider plans to adapt a Chinese science-fiction book trilogy into a TV series because they said the author has defended the Chinese government’s treatment of Uighur Muslims.
“The Three-Body Problem” and two sequels were written by Chinese author Liu Cixin. Netflix announced earlier this month that it was turning the books into a live-action, English-language TV series led by D.B Weiss and David Benioff, the creators of HBO megahit “Game of Thrones.” Liu serves as a consulting producer on the project.
In a letter to Netflix, the senators pointed to comments by Liu to the New Yorker magazine in 2019 about China’s clampdown on ethnic Uighurs and other Muslims in the Xinjiang region.
“If anything, the government is helping their economy and trying to lift them out of poverty,” Liu said. “If you were to loosen up the country a bit, the consequences would be terrifying.”
The United States and human rights groups have criticized China’s treatment of the Uighurs. China’s foreign ministry has repeatedly denied the existence of internment camps in Xinjiang, calling the facilities vocational and educational institutions and accusing what it calls anti-China forces of smearing its Xinjiang policy.
Walt Disney Co DIS.N was criticized by US lawmakers recently for filming parts of “Mulan” in Xinjiang.
In the letter to Netflix, senators led by Marsha Blackburn of Tennessee said the company’s decision to adapt Liu’s work amounted to “normalization” of the Chinese government’s “crimes.”
“In the face of such atrocities in (Xinjiang), there no longer exist corporate decisions of complacency, only complicity,” they wrote.
The senators asked Netflix to “seriously reconsider the implications of providing a platform to Mr. Liu in producing this project.”
Netflix had no immediate comment.
The Netflix streaming service is available in more than 190 countries but does not operate in China.
New York Post
- Actor Alex Ekubo Says Lekki Toll Plaza, Should Be Renamed Lekki Memorial In Memory Of Our Fallen ComradesOctober 24, 2020In the wake of the anarchy that went before a Peaceful protest that required an end to police brutality and saw some youthful Nigerian’s die, ...[Read more]
- Actress Doris Ogala Accuses Uche Elendu Of Lying That Her Store Was LootedOctober 24, 2020Nigerian actress, Doris Ogala has accused her fellow actress Uche Elendu for lying that her store was plundered, following the mayhem from hooligans ...[Read more]
- Shehu Sani Begs hoodlums To Bring Back Oba Of Lagos’s StaffOctober 23, 2020Human right activist, Shehu Sani has begged whoever is in the position of the staff and shoe of the Oba of Lagos. Not too long ago, hoodlums broke ...[Read more]
- 69 People Lost Their Lives In The #EndSARS Protest – BuhariOctober 23, 2020Nigeria’s President, Muhammadu Buhari has revealed that 69 people lost their lives in the #EndSARS protest in the nation. As per the BBC, ...[Read more]
- Presidency Finally Reveals Why Buhari Didn’t Speak On Lekki Toll Gate ShootingOctober 23, 2020The Presidency has revealed why President Buhari didn’t address Nigerians with respect to the Lekki toll gate shooting, during his speech ...[Read more]
- Liverpool Vs. Sheffield United: How Klopp’s side could line-up for EPL clashOctober 23, 2020Liverpool will play host to Sheffield United this weekend as they hope to return to winning ways in the Premier League. The English Champions have ...[Read more]
- Manchester United Vs Chelsea: How Red Devils could line-up against Frank Lampard sideOctober 23, 2020Manchester United will be looking to maintain the momentum owing to their Champions League victory against French side Paris Saint-Germain at the ...[Read more]
- Man Utd vs Chelsea: Pogba warned over new contractOctober 23, 2020Manchester United have informed Paul Pogba they have no desire to entice him to remain at the club with a bumper new contract, ESPN reports. Pogba ...[Read more]
- Lagos State Deputy Governor, Obafemi Hamzat reveals what actually happened in Lagos protestOctober 23, 2020Lagos State Deputy Governor, Obafemi Hamzat has revealed that genuine protesters were peaceful throughout the End SARS protest which took place ...[Read more]
- Round-up of Nigerian players in European League, Match Day 1October 23, 2020Nigerian players abroad were in action during the week for their respective clubs as the Europa League match took centre stage. There were goals from ...[Read more]