Welcome to the Mekhi Becton fan club, Frank Gore. It’s getting crowded.
The venerable Jets running back threw praise at the rookie offensive tackle Friday, describing him as a “beast,” joining a chorus of analysts, coaches and teammates who have raved about the monstrous 6-foot-7, 363-pound lineman.
One play in particular has stood out to the 37-year-old Gore. After pancaking 49ers defensive end Kerry Hyder Jr. on Sunday, Becton demanded the Jets run behind him again.
“[He’s] a Larry Allen type guy,” Gore said, referring to the Hall of Fame left tackle he played with early in his career with the 49ers. “We ran one play and he told me, ‘Come back again.’ I remember when I played with Larry Allen he used to look to the sidelines and tell me, ‘Bring that play back over here again.’
“[On a reverse play, Becton] dumped a dude, and then he went at him again. That’s old-school football, man. He doesn’t care who you [are]. He’s going to try and finish you.”
Pro Football Focus has rated Becton, the first-round pick (11th overall) out of Louisville, as the No. 1 offensive rookie so far, grading him out at 79.7. Becton, known as “Big Ticket,” has more than held his own against the Bills’ Jerry Hughes and 49ers’ Nick Bosa, before the San Francisco standout got hurt last Sunday on the Jets’ second offensive drive of the game.
Former Jets and Patriots offensive lineman Damien Woody, who now works as an ESPN analyst, said Becton is one of the best offensive tackles in the game already. Brian Baldinger of the NFL Network has given him the nickname “Highway 77” and called him the best rookie in the league so far, saying the Jets should run behind him all the time.
“He’s a beast, man,” Gore said. “When I first saw him out here at training camp, I knew he was different. It’s like it didn’t phase him.
“When I saw him at camp, right away I knew this kid could be special, as long as he just keeps working.”
He has only progressed from training camp. Even Gore admitted he might be getting carried away in his praise of Becton, though he had trouble stopping himself.
“I don’t want to speak so fast, because he’s a young player,” Gore said, “but me seeing him from Day 1 in pads to the first two games, he’s got the potential to do some special things.”
New York Post
- Bobrisky Narrates How His Name Saved His Driver From HoodlumsOctober 23, 2020Nigerian crossdresser popularly known as Bobrisky, took to his page to narrate how his name spared his vehicle from being vandalized by hudlumps. The ...[Read more]
- Barcelona vs Real Madrid: Zidane given two games to save his jobOctober 23, 2020Real Madrid manager, Zinedine Zidane, has two games to save his job, L’Equipe reports. Los Blancos have started the 2020/2021 season on a shaky note. ...[Read more]
- “We are deeply sorry for flagging #ENDSARS Protest As False Information”- Instagram To NigeriansOctober 23, 2020American photo and video sharing social networking service, Instagram has apologized to Nigerians for incorrectly flagging down posts in support of ...[Read more]
- Man Utd vs Chelsea: What Edouard Mendy said about KepaOctober 23, 2020Chelsea goalkeeper, Edouard Mendy has insisted that he has a very good relationship with fellow teammate, Kepa Arrizabalaga, despite the duo fighting ...[Read more]
- Famous Nigerian Instagram drama, Producer OluwaDolarz Welcomes His Fisrt Child, See Adorable PhotosOctober 23, 2020Famous Nigerian Instagram drama producer, OluwaDolarz has declared the introduction of his first youngster on his Instagram page. The comic actor ...[Read more]
- Rudeboy “faints” In Shock After Watching President Buhari’s Address To Nigerians (+Video)October 23, 2020President Buhari at long last tended to the country today and the discourse has since seen a few responses from Nigerians, including big names. In ...[Read more]
- Lagos State Govt Condemns The looting of COVID-19 Palliative WarehouseOctober 23, 2020The Lagos state government has condemed the attack on a COVID-19 palliative stockroom in Mazamaza by criminals. Hooligans had on Thursday morning ...[Read more]
- Europa League: Gattuso blasts Osimhen, others after Napoli’s 1-0 defeatOctober 23, 2020Napoli manager, Gennaro Gattuso, has hit out at Victor Osimhen and his team-mates, following a 1-0 home defeat to AZ Alkmaar in the Europa League on ...[Read more]
- See Nigerians Reactions After President Muhammadu Buhari National Broadcast (+Screenshots)October 23, 2020Online media users have condemned President Muhammadu Buhari over the live public broadcast on the turmoil in the nation comparable to the #EndSARS ...[Read more]
- US blast Nigerian Govt Over Lekki Toll Gate ShootingsOctober 22, 2020US Fumes At Nigeria Over Lekki Toll Gate Shootings, Asks For Shooter Involved To Be Punished The government of the United States Of America has ...[Read more]