Ahead of the 60th independence anniversary of Nigeria on October 1, agitators of Biafra Republic in the southeast, and their Oduduwa counterparts in the Southwest, yesterday, forged a common front to advance their cause of self-determination.
This came as the bodies urged the Federal Government to convene a referendum where Nigerians can freely make a democratic choice, whether they want to continue with Nigeria as presently configured or seek their right to self-determination before the 2023 general elections.
In a joint statement by International General Secretary of Yoruba One Voice, YOV, Dr Sina Okanlomo and Head, Directorate of State of the Indigenous People of Biafra, IPOB, Mazi Chika Edoziem, the groups dug into the historical antecedent of Nigeria as a nation, concluding that the 1914 forced amalgamation of the different nation states which made up Nigeria and the successive years of exploitation of the peoples of the Southern parts of Nigeria, has entrenched poverty, underdevelopment, mediocrity, unemployment, wanton killings, terrorism, inequality, insecurity, among others.
While stating that the golden years of Nigeria were when the country had three regions, with each region having its own Constitution, the bodies said the current presidential constitution, which is unitary in character, has failed the people of Nigeria.
The statement reads: “From all indications, the current leadership of Nigeria is not, and has never been committed to the fundamental objectives and directives of the principles of statehood, policies of Federalism as enshrined in Chapter II of the Constitution that it derived its powers from.
“Our peoples are tired of the terrorism, insecurity, hopelessness, injustice, killings, unemployment, inequality, corruption, scandals, violence, oppression, extortion.
“Our peoples are entitled to their inherent inalienable rights to Self-determination and dignity of their persons in accordance with Article 1 of the Universal Declaration of Human and Peoples Rights of 1948; Article 20 of the African Charter on Human and People’s Rights, Article 1 of the International Convention Civil and Political Rights and the International Convention on Economic, Social and Cultural Rights.
“Our aspiration is to build a viable, democratic and stable Nation for our Peoples and in this regard, we demand that there must be a referendum, so that our peoples can freely and fairly make a democratic choice, whether they want to continue with Nigeria as presently configured or seek their right to Self-determination before the 2023 General elections.
“In order to prevent an implosion of sorts, we, on behalf of our people, therefore demand a proper referendum/plebiscite, to be conducted between now and the 1st of October,2021, in accordance with the Rights of Indigenous Peoples’ all over the world under The Law as provided in the AU and the United Nations charters, to be supervised by Both The AU and the United Nations.
“Copies of this jointly signed Release have been sent to these world bodies.
If, as we believe, our people choose Self-determination, The Next Natural Step would be the immediate activation of the processes and modalities, beginning from the 2nd of October, 2021, for the creation of the Odùduwà and the Biafran Nations out of the present but otiose Nigerian experiment, which started in 1914.”
Eco City Reporters
- #ENDSARS: “I Was Paid N500 To Bring A Knife To The Protest Ground” – Man Confesses (+Video)In Local NewsOctober 20, 2020A young Nigerian who was found using a blade at the beset #EndSARS protest continuous in Nigeria has uncovered that he was paid to take it to the ...[Read more]
- #ENDSARS: There Should Be A Total Lockdown On Till This Politicians Start Talking To Us — Legendary Musician 2Face IdibiaOctober 20, 20202 Baba accepts the continuous #EndSARS protest should proceed until the administration answers the individuals. Recall that 2 Baba is one of the VIPs ...[Read more]
- ‘Men With Big D!ks Can Talk to Me Anyhow – Lydia Forson Explains in A New VideoOctober 20, 2020Ghanaian actress, Lydia Forson has uncovered that men who have big manhoods are the main men she will permit them to converse with her at any rate. ...[Read more]
- PSG vs Man Utd: What Solskjaer said about Odion IghaloIn SportsOctober 20, 2020Manchester United boss, Ole Gunnar Solskjaer, has insisted that striker, Odion Ighalo, is still a very important member of the Red Devils squad ...[Read more]
- Davido Pens Down A Hearth Warming Message To His Son, David Adedeji Adeleke JrOctober 20, 2020Davido has had some amazing words to say to his son, David Adedeji Adeleke Jr on the occasion of his birthday. David Adeleke Jr is the first child he ...[Read more]
- Regina Daniels Shows Off Her Million Naira Worth Gift From Ned Nwoko (+Videos/Photos)October 20, 2020Regina Daniels, the spouse of Nigerian tycoon Ned Nwoko, flaunts a costly four-wheel plane she got from her husband on her birthday close by the ...[Read more]
- UPDATE: Carol Afegbai Reveals Why She Killed A Young Man In 2013In Local NewsOctober 20, 2020Carol Afegbai, the mother of Nollywood actress, Lilian Afegbai, who is a policewoman, detailed in another video why she needed to shoot and kill a ...[Read more]
- Champions League: PSG coach, Tuchel to be without 5 key players against Man UtdIn SportsOctober 20, 2020Paris Saint-Germain manager, Thomas Tuchel, has confirmed that five key players will miss his side’s Champions League group stage clash against ...[Read more]
- Actress Nazo Ekezie Insults A Guy She Likes For Ridiculing #EndSARS ProtestOctober 20, 2020Nigerian actress Nazo Ekezie has discarded a person she respect over the progressing protest against police brutality. The actress says she almost ...[Read more]
- EPL: Premier League confirms eight new COVID-19 infectionsOctober 20, 2020The Premier League, EPL, has announced that eight people have tested positive for COVID-19 following the latest phase of mass testing. EPL disclosed ...[Read more]
Join The Discussion👇🏾
- on Rita Dominic and Kate Henshaw Joins #EndSARS protest yes o!! They will know that we own this country.
- on See Amazing Photos Of A Village In Abia State Nicknamed “Small London” (+Photos) You guys should come to my ebonyi and see that this one is small
- on Meet Man Who Employs His Biological Son As Security Man In His Company In Nigeria (+Photo) Hmm... Wetin concern me
- on Newcastle vs Man Utd: Paul Scholes blasts Cavani Time shall Tell
- on Man Kills His Parents In Enugu During Misunderstanding God why, okay why did village people called police, y can't theme kill…
- on Police Bust S3x Party, Arrest Guys While Having S3x With The Ladies (Photos) This idiots deserve what's happening to them
- on Kizz Daniels Finally Reveals The Girl He Is Dating Good evening
- on Kizz Daniels Finally Reveals The Girl He Is Dating Hello
- on Residents In Tears As Tenant Stabs Landlord To Death (+Graphic photos) What a world may be is fustration.RIP Mr landlord
- on Residents In Tears As Tenant Stabs Landlord To Death (+Graphic photos) Hmm what a world,Rip