SHANGHAI – China’s capital Beijing will protect whistleblowers who disclose information about public health emergencies, it said on Sunday, part of the country’s efforts to fix some of the systemic faults that hindered its initial response to the COVID-19 outbreak.
The Beijing city government said it would offer rewards to health workers who disclose vital information about any imminent health emergency and will also ensure their safety and legal rights are protected.
Workers could in urgent situations skip the chain of command and report health risks directly to the local government, it said, and as long as their intent was not “malicious”, they would not face punishment if information turned out to be false.
Beijing also said it would strengthen its monitoring network, set up specialist infectious disease hospitals and establish “sentries” at the community level to keep watch for symptoms like fever.
The central Chinese city of Wuhan, where the COVID-19 outbreak first began, has been criticized for its heavy-handed treatment of medical staff who first tried to reveal details of a new and unknown pneumonia-like disease at the end of 2019.
Li Wenliang, one of the doctors warned by local police, later became one of the most high-profile victims of the coronavirus, causing nationwide outrage.
Chinese officials have acknowledged that the COVID-19 outbreak exposed “shortcomings” in their ability to handle epidemics, and they have promised to take action to improve early warning systems and free up the flow of information.
The government said in May that it would empower local disease control centers to take early action in the event of any new outbreak, though experts said the measures did not go far enough to address “systemic” flaws.
They say China’s top-down political system does not give local governments the authority or the funding to take the timely action required to tackle outbreaks.
Last month, the city government of Shenzhen also unveiled new guidelines allowing medical workers to disclose information about infectious diseases. They also gave local authorities powers to take emergency action more quickly.
New York Post
- Match Day 6: Three key Premier League matches to watch this weekendOctober 24, 2020The Premier League match enters week six as we look forward to mouthwatering games at the weekend. Chelsea would take on Manchester United, the same ...[Read more]
- Nadia Buari sympathies with Nigerian over #EndSARS protestOctober 24, 2020Ghanaian actress who has played many roles in Nollywood movies, Nadia Buari has sent her words of sympathies and encouragement to the Nigerians who ...[Read more]
- Omotola Jalade-Ekeinde asks Nigerians for forgiveness over Lekki Protest commentOctober 24, 2020Omotola Jalade-Ekeinde has retracted and requested for Nigerians forgiveness for the uncaring comment she made on her Twitter page following the ...[Read more]
- “IF YOU EVER GET TIRED,LEARN TO REST NOT QUIT”, Somadina motivates fansOctober 24, 2020Popular Nigerian actor and ex-lover of Nigerian billionaire’s wife Regina Daniels, Somadina Adinma has taken to social media to motivate his fans and ...[Read more]
- See what Davido’s new post that got fans talkingOctober 24, 2020Nigerian singer and songwriter Davido has taken to social media to reveal his belief. Even though some people believe that God does not exist, the ...[Read more]
- EndSARS protesters have reportedly set ablaze the statue of the late Dr Nnamdi Azikiwe at Awka, See whyIn EndSARSOctober 24, 2020Angry EndSARS protesters have reportedly set ablaze the statue of pioneer President of Nigeria, the late Dr Nnamdi Azikiwe at Denis Memorial Grammar ...[Read more]
- Nollywood actress Destiny Etiko Lament over the current state of NigeriaOctober 24, 2020Nollywood actress Destiny Etiko has taken to social media to lament over Nigeria being a fail country because of bad leaders. Destiny Etiko The ...[Read more]
- Please stay at home if you don’t have any need to go outside, BBNaija Wathoni advises LagosiansIn BBNaijaOctober 24, 2020Former BBNaija housemate Wathoni has advised citizens to stay at home if they do not have anything to do outside. Wathoni The Lagos state government ...[Read more]
- Arsenal vs Leicester City: Arteta provides update on Willian, Ceballos, othersIn SportsOctober 24, 2020Arsenal boss, Mikel Arteta, has provided the latest update on Willian and Dani Ceballos ahead of his side’s Premier League clash with Leicester City ...[Read more]
- Manchester United vs. Chelsea: Three significant points ahead of the weekend showdownIn SportsOctober 24, 2020Manchester United would lock horns with Frank Lampard’s side as the Premier League gets hot by the day. The match will be laden with expectations as ...[Read more]