A German money manager “decimated” New York City subway workers’ retirement funds this spring with risky investments that backfired as the coronavirus pandemic roiled the stock market, a new lawsuit alleges.
Allianz Global Investors promised that it would buy options to keep subway employees’ nest eggs safe during a short-term market downturn, three Metropolitan Transportation Authority pension funds claimed in a lawsuit last week. But the firm allegedly veered from that playbook as it bet that the market would normalize after it started to plunge in February.
Allianz increased its risky investment positions in its Structured Alpha family of funds instead of exiting them — a “negligent and imprudent bet” that “proved to be disastrous” as stocks continued to plunge, the complaint says. The Structured Alpha 1000 fund — in which the MTA pensions had an account balance of more than $330 million at the end of last year — had dropped nearly 87 percent for the year by mid-March, according to the suit.
After Allianz was forced to liquidate that fund in late March, the MTA pension funds were left with just about $9 million — meaning they lost more than 97 percent of their investments’ value in a single quarter, the complaint alleges.
That’s despite the fact that Allianz had promised the MTA “all-weather” funds that were protected against market crashes, the suit claims.
“Out of greed, AllianzGI sacrificed the hard-earned pension and benefits of the MTA’s workers, who at that time were risking their lives under COVID keeping New York alive,” the pension funds said in their complaint filed last Wednesday in Manhattan federal court.
Allianz, however, said the MTA knew what it was getting into when it invested in risky hedge funds that promised lofty returns. The firm said it plans to defend itself “vigorously” against the “legally and factually flawed” allegations.
“The claimants are professional investors, most of whom were advised by a sophisticated investment consultant to evaluate the Structured Alpha strategy,” an Allianz spokesperson said in a statement. “… The MTA determined that the Structured Alpha Portfolio fit with their overall investment goals and risk tolerances.”
The MTA’s three pension funds have a total of $4.8 billion invested in various places, MTA spokesman Aaron Donovan said.
“The MTA is aggressively pursuing full damages from Allianz for breach of duties as they failed to properly hedge against the market crash as contractually required,” Donovan said. “To be clear, no employees will be affected as these MTA plans are defined benefit and as a result employee pensions are not at risk.”
The lawsuit is reportedly one of several lawsuits pension funds have brought against Allianz claiming they lost about $4 billion from investing in the Structured Alpha funds. Other suits have been filed by pension funds for the Teamsters labor union, Arkansas teachers and Blue Cross and Blue Shield, according to Reuters.
New York Post
- PSG vs Man Utd: What Solskjaer said about Odion IghaloOctober 20, 2020Manchester United boss, Ole Gunnar Solskjaer, has insisted that striker, Odion Ighalo, is still a very important member of the Red Devils squad ...[Read more]
- Davido Pens Down A Hearth Warming Message To His Son, David Adedeji Adeleke JrOctober 20, 2020Davido has had some amazing words to say to his son, David Adedeji Adeleke Jr on the occasion of his birthday. David Adeleke Jr is the first child he ...[Read more]
- Regina Daniels Shows Off Her Million Naira Worth Gift From Ned Nwoko (+Videos/Photos)October 20, 2020Regina Daniels, the spouse of Nigerian tycoon Ned Nwoko, flaunts a costly four-wheel plane she got from her husband on her birthday close by the ...[Read more]
- UPDATE: Carol Afegbai Reveals Why She Killed A Young Man In 2013In Local NewsOctober 20, 2020Carol Afegbai, the mother of Nollywood actress, Lilian Afegbai, who is a policewoman, detailed in another video why she needed to shoot and kill a ...[Read more]
- Champions League: PSG coach, Tuchel to be without 5 key players against Man UtdOctober 20, 2020Paris Saint-Germain manager, Thomas Tuchel, has confirmed that five key players will miss his side’s Champions League group stage clash against ...[Read more]
- Actress Nazo Ekezie Insults A Guy She Likes For Ridiculing #EndSARS ProtestOctober 20, 2020Nigerian actress Nazo Ekezie has discarded a person she respect over the progressing protest against police brutality. The actress says she almost ...[Read more]
- EPL: Premier League confirms eight new COVID-19 infectionsOctober 20, 2020The Premier League, EPL, has announced that eight people have tested positive for COVID-19 following the latest phase of mass testing. EPL disclosed ...[Read more]
- EPL: Highest goal scorers in Premier League after Week 5 [See top 22]October 20, 2020Tottenham Hotspur forward, Heung-Min Son, leads the race for the Golden Boot this season, after Game Week 5 fixtures. Son scored one as Spurs were ...[Read more]
- Arteta under fire for starting Willian ahead of Lacazette during Man City defeatOctober 20, 2020Arsenal manager, Mikel Arteta, has been criticised by former Manchester United striker, Andy Cole, for picking Willian to start up top over Alexandre ...[Read more]
- CONFIRMED: Lagos State Shuts Down All Schools Over #EndSARS ProtestsOctober 20, 2020The Lagos State Government has requested the conclusion of public and tuition based schools in the state uncertainly over #EndSARS. This was reported ...[Read more]
Join The Discussion👇🏾
- on Rita Dominic and Kate Henshaw Joins #EndSARS protest yes o!! They will know that we own this country.
- on See Amazing Photos Of A Village In Abia State Nicknamed “Small London” (+Photos) You guys should come to my ebonyi and see that this one is small
- on Meet Man Who Employs His Biological Son As Security Man In His Company In Nigeria (+Photo) Hmm... Wetin concern me
- on Newcastle vs Man Utd: Paul Scholes blasts Cavani Time shall Tell
- on Man Kills His Parents In Enugu During Misunderstanding God why, okay why did village people called police, y can't theme kill…
- on Police Bust S3x Party, Arrest Guys While Having S3x With The Ladies (Photos) This idiots deserve what's happening to them
- on Kizz Daniels Finally Reveals The Girl He Is Dating Good evening
- on Kizz Daniels Finally Reveals The Girl He Is Dating Hello
- on Residents In Tears As Tenant Stabs Landlord To Death (+Graphic photos) What a world may be is fustration.RIP Mr landlord
- on Residents In Tears As Tenant Stabs Landlord To Death (+Graphic photos) Hmm what a world,Rip