Whoever is entrusted with forming the Mets blueprint for 2021 will have multiple high-end pieces around which to build.
The key for Brodie Van Wagenen or a general manager-to-be-named-later in the event of a front office overhaul following a likely ownership change – Steve Cohen must still be approved by the MLB owners – will be spending the newfound dollars of a hedge-fund billionaire wisely while making a shrewd trade or two.
The Mets aren’t as hopeless as their 26-34 record from this season suggests. A look at what they have and what they still need:
Andres Gimenez was a smooth defender and brought a respectable bat to the lineup as a rookie, which led to his rise as the starting shortstop over the final month. It has left disappointing Amed Rosario in limbo. If the Mets were to trade Rosario they would be selling low, leaving it more likely the team will convert him into a utility player who can bounce around the infield and maybe play in the outfield, where a right-handed bat would be welcomed.
J.D. Davis regressed after a breakout season in 2019, perhaps showing he belongs in a platoon role at third base with either Jeff McNeil or Luis Guillorme, the latter of whom brought an unexpected spark with his bat and glove.
Robinson Cano still has three years and $72 million remaining on his contract, but that thought isn’t as unsettling as it was a year ago, following Cano’s rebound season. Ideally, the designated hitter would remain in the NL, allowing Cano to see occasional action from that spot, with McNeil receiving more reps at second base.
The DH also factors into how the Mets proceed with first base, as Dominic Smith has demonstrated he’s worthy of the position full-time. But first base will belong to Pete Alonso unless he can DH.
George Springer will be a free agent and could be the best available option to fill two needs for the Mets: a true center fielder and right-handed bat for the outfield. Michael Conforto remains under club control through only next season, leaving the Mets to mull a potential contract extension that would keep him as a cornerstone in the lineup. Smith, McNeil and Brandon Nimmo could figure into the left field mix, but all three are left-handed hitters, raising the possibility one will be traded.
J.T. Realmuto will be the top free agent on the market this offseason, and while there might be hesitation to hurl a fortune toward a 31-year-old catcher, the Mets certainly need the upgrade. Put another way, an ace of Jacob deGrom’s stature is worthy of an elite batterymate. Realmuto would elevate the pitching staff’s performance while bringing another quality bat to the lineup.
Wilson Ramos’ lack of agility was a significant issue that couldn’t be obscured by his bat, as he struggled offensively. The Mets hold an option on Ramos for next season. Robinson Chirinos and Tomas Nido are the backup possibilities.
The cupboard needs serious restocking. DeGrom is a given and rookie David Peterson showed he’s worthy of a rotation spot, but beyond that questions loom. Can Seth Lugo be consistent enough as a starter to merit a job? What about the rest of the rotation?
NL Cy Young award favorite Trevor Bauer is the big fish available among pitchers on a free-agent market that also includes names such as Masahiro Tanaka and Marcus Stroman. The Mets need to add at least two starters, as it remains unlikely Noah Syndergaard will return from Tommy John surgery rehab to start the season. In a best-case scenario, Syndergaard would probably resume pitching by June.
Steven Matz had an abysmal season, but his trade value is low. The Mets might retain him – he is under club control for another year – but can’t depend on him for the rotation.
Edwin Diaz this season was much closer to the All-Star performer from Seattle than the flop who looked overmatched in 2019. Now comes the annual pursuit of pieces to fill in around the one or two dependable parts. Jeurys Familia remains signed through next season and Miguel Castro is under team control. Justin Wilson will head to free agency. Dellin Betances holds a player option worth $6 million for next season. If he declines that option, he receives a $3 million buyout. Robert Gsellman and Brad Brach are among the other names the Mets will consider.
New York Post
- EPL: Danny Murphy predicts position Chelsea will finish seasonOctober 20, 2020A former Liverpool player, Danny Murphy, has predicted that Chelsea are “guaranteed” to finish in the Premier League’s top four this season. Murphy ...[Read more]
- #ENDSARS: Nigerians are so used to suffering, they think it’s normal, Says Singer SimiOctober 20, 2020In an ongoing tweet on her page, the mother of one said in the nation, on the off chance that one needs more cash to give somebody so they get what ...[Read more]
- #ENDSARS: “I Was Paid N500 To Bring A Knife To The Protest Ground” – Man Confesses (+Video)In Local NewsOctober 20, 2020A young Nigerian who was found using a blade at the beset #EndSARS protest continuous in Nigeria has uncovered that he was paid to take it to the ...[Read more]
- #ENDSARS: There Should Be A Total Lockdown On Till This Politicians Start Talking To Us — Legendary Musician 2Face IdibiaOctober 20, 20202 Baba accepts the continuous #EndSARS protest should proceed until the administration answers the individuals. Recall that 2 Baba is one of the VIPs ...[Read more]
- ‘Men With Big D!ks Can Talk to Me Anyhow – Lydia Forson Explains in A New VideoOctober 20, 2020Ghanaian actress, Lydia Forson has uncovered that men who have big manhoods are the main men she will permit them to converse with her at any rate. ...[Read more]
- PSG vs Man Utd: What Solskjaer said about Odion IghaloIn SportsOctober 20, 2020Manchester United boss, Ole Gunnar Solskjaer, has insisted that striker, Odion Ighalo, is still a very important member of the Red Devils squad ...[Read more]
- Davido Pens Down A Hearth Warming Message To His Son, David Adedeji Adeleke JrOctober 20, 2020Davido has had some amazing words to say to his son, David Adedeji Adeleke Jr on the occasion of his birthday. David Adeleke Jr is the first child he ...[Read more]
- Regina Daniels Shows Off Her Million Naira Worth Gift From Ned Nwoko (+Videos/Photos)October 20, 2020Regina Daniels, the spouse of Nigerian tycoon Ned Nwoko, flaunts a costly four-wheel plane she got from her husband on her birthday close by the ...[Read more]
- UPDATE: Carol Afegbai Reveals Why She Killed A Young Man In 2013In Local NewsOctober 20, 2020Carol Afegbai, the mother of Nollywood actress, Lilian Afegbai, who is a policewoman, detailed in another video why she needed to shoot and kill a ...[Read more]
- Champions League: PSG coach, Tuchel to be without 5 key players against Man UtdIn SportsOctober 20, 2020Paris Saint-Germain manager, Thomas Tuchel, has confirmed that five key players will miss his side’s Champions League group stage clash against ...[Read more]
Join The Discussion👇🏾
- on Rita Dominic and Kate Henshaw Joins #EndSARS protest yes o!! They will know that we own this country.
- on See Amazing Photos Of A Village In Abia State Nicknamed “Small London” (+Photos) You guys should come to my ebonyi and see that this one is small
- on Meet Man Who Employs His Biological Son As Security Man In His Company In Nigeria (+Photo) Hmm... Wetin concern me
- on Newcastle vs Man Utd: Paul Scholes blasts Cavani Time shall Tell
- on Man Kills His Parents In Enugu During Misunderstanding God why, okay why did village people called police, y can't theme kill…
- on Police Bust S3x Party, Arrest Guys While Having S3x With The Ladies (Photos) This idiots deserve what's happening to them
- on Kizz Daniels Finally Reveals The Girl He Is Dating Good evening
- on Kizz Daniels Finally Reveals The Girl He Is Dating Hello
- on Residents In Tears As Tenant Stabs Landlord To Death (+Graphic photos) What a world may be is fustration.RIP Mr landlord
- on Residents In Tears As Tenant Stabs Landlord To Death (+Graphic photos) Hmm what a world,Rip