A Georgia couple is suing a sperm bank after they discovered their donor, who was advertised as a Ph.D. candidate, has a criminal record and a history of mental illness, according to a lawsuit.
Wendy and Janet Norman are allowed to proceed with their lawsuit against the sperm bank, Xytex Corporation, after the state’s Supreme Court ruled Monday the case could be fought in trial court.
The couple welcomed a son in 2002 after sperm from Donor #9623, who was advertised as a Ph.D. candidate with an IQ of 160, a clean mental health history and no criminal record, the suit says.
But as their son got older, they discovered he had serious medical and mental health problems, some of which required hospitalizations.
The Normans claim they then learned that the sperm donor had lied and had actually been hospitalized repeatedly for diagnosed mental health problems, including psychotic schizophrenia.
The donor also had no college degree at the time that the couple bought his sperm and had been arrested for burglary and other crimes, the suit states.
In 2017, the Normans took legal action against Xytex alleging negligent misrepresentation, battery, false advertising, and other wrongdoing.
But Xytex argued that the lawsuit brought claims for “wrongful birth,” which is barred under a 1990 state Supreme Court ruling that determined “life, even life with severe impairments, may ever amount to a legal injury.”
A Fulton County judge subsequently dismissed all but one of the claims and the state’s court of appeals upheld that ruling.
However, the state’s Supreme Court partially reversed that ruling Monday — sending the case back to the trial court.
In a unanimous opinion, Justice Nels Peterson said the stance remains unchanged on whether legal action can be taken in cases “that necessarily presume that life itself can ever be an injury” — but the court also argued that there were other potential damages that the couple can seek that “do not necessarily state their child’s birth as an injury.”
For example, the suit invoked Georgia’s Fair Business Practice Act, claiming Xytex misrepresented the quality of its goods and services, Peterson said.
Peterson said the next step would be for the couple to determine which claims for damages fit under the high court’s rulings so they can go back to the trial court to pursue them.
“If this case does move forward, Xytex is confident in the actual evidence that exists to refute the allegations,” Ted Lavender, an attorney for Xytex, said in an email to the Associated Press.
Nancy Hersh, who is representing the Normans, celebrated the ruling from the state’s high court.
“It feels great and it’s justice,” Hersh said.
With Post Wires
- #ENDSARS: Hoodlums Kills two Police Men In LagosIn Local NewsOctober 21, 2020The Lagos State Police Command on Wednesday said criminals under the appearance of partaking in the #EndSARS protest killed two police officers in ...[Read more]
- Champions League: Real Madrid star breaks record after 3-2 defeat to Shakhtar DonetskOctober 21, 2020Real Madrid forward, Vinicius Junior, on Wednesday night broke UEFA Champions League record following his side’s 3-2 defeat to Shakhtar Donetsk. Real ...[Read more]
- Thugs Attacks An Igbosere High Court, Trucked Away Countless Assets (+Video)In Local NewsOctober 21, 2020Blade using punks assaulted an Igbosere High Court in Obalende and apparently trucked away countless assets. The assault on Igbosere High Court, ...[Read more]
- Chelsea Vs. Sevilla: Three significant lessons from UEFA Champions League drawOctober 21, 2020The London side was held to a 1-1 draw at Stamford Bridge as Chelsea missed out on the chance to generate team confidence ahead of the next game. The ...[Read more]
- Rapid Vienna vs Arsenal: It is my decision to freeze Ozil out – Arteta finally opens upOctober 21, 2020Arsenal manager, Mikel Arteta, has finally admitted that it was his decision to freeze Mesut Ozil out. Ozil has not featured for the Gunners since ...[Read more]
- Paris Saint-German Vs. Manchester United: Full match statisticsOctober 21, 2020Paris Saint-Germain lost at home (Parce des Princes) to Ole Gunnar Solskjaer’s side on Tuesday Night. United impressed against the French side just ...[Read more]
- Champions League: Three key matches to watch tonightOctober 21, 2020The UEFA Champions League takes centre stage on Wednesday as hostility ensures on the pitch. Yesterday was the opening evening of football at the ...[Read more]
- Chelsea Vs Sevilla: Interesting features, match statistics from goalless drawOctober 21, 2020The Blues were pegged back again by Sevilla as they endured another 90 minutes without a win. They drew 3-3 against Southampton after taking a 2-0 ...[Read more]
- Our leaders are bunch of fools-Destiny EtikoOctober 21, 2020This comes after Tuesday night’s massacre that occurred at the Lekki Toll Gate which had the military opening fire on innocent protesters. Reacting ...[Read more]
- Police arrests Nollywood Labista as he leads protest in AbaOctober 21, 2020After learning about this unfortunate incident, actress Destiny Etiko has taken to social media to demand the immediate release of her colleague. ...[Read more]
- on ‘Men With Big D!ks Can Talk to Me Anyhow – Lydia Forson Explains in A New Video This is good for nation
- on ‘Men With Big D!ks Can Talk to Me Anyhow – Lydia Forson Explains in A New Video I have one baby, and I know how to work with it.
- on Rita Dominic and Kate Henshaw Joins #EndSARS protest yes o!! They will know that we own this country.
- on See Amazing Photos Of A Village In Abia State Nicknamed “Small London” (+Photos) You guys should come to my ebonyi and see that this one is small
- on Meet Man Who Employs His Biological Son As Security Man In His Company In Nigeria (+Photo) Hmm... Wetin concern me
- on Newcastle vs Man Utd: Paul Scholes blasts Cavani Time shall Tell
- on Man Kills His Parents In Enugu During Misunderstanding God why, okay why did village people called police, y can't theme kill…
- on Police Bust S3x Party, Arrest Guys While Having S3x With The Ladies (Photos) This idiots deserve what's happening to them
- on Kizz Daniels Finally Reveals The Girl He Is Dating Good evening
- on Kizz Daniels Finally Reveals The Girl He Is Dating Hello