Guardian reported that fresh appointments to fill vacancies in the National Pension Commission (PenCom) caused pandemonium among legislators on the floor of the Senate yesterday.
Senators across party divides were upset immediately Senate President Ahmad Lawan read a letter from President Muhammadu Buhari announcing Aisha Umar as Director-General of PenCom, insisting that the appointment, again, breached the Federal Character principle.
The letter also announced Oyindasola Oni as nominee for chairmanship of the commission. Senate Minority Leader, Enyinnaya Abaribe, protested against the appointment in which Umar from the North East was nominated to replace the former Director-General of PenCom, Mrs. Chinelo Anohu-Amazu from the South East.
He described the nomination as another flagrant breach of the Act establishing the agency. Abaribe pointed out that by the provisions of Section 20(1) and section 21(1) and (2) of the PenCom Act 2014,
“In the event of a vacancy, the president shall appoint replacement from the geo-political zone of the immediate past member that vacated office to complete the remaining tenure.”
He maintained that a replacement for Anohu-Amazu must come from the South East, saying, “I recall that the tenure of the incumbent was truncated. Therefore, the president’s letter that has moved the Chairman of the commission to another zone may not be correct because it is against the law setting up PenCom.
“Before you send it to the appropriate committee, I wish to draw attention to it.” Responding, Lawan rejected Abaribe’s point of order and observation, adding: “That is for me to interpret, because I interpret the laws here. If there is any petition to that effect, it should be sent to the committee.
Feelers from the upper legislative chamber indicated that lawmakers across party divides were bent on resisting Umar’s nomination as DG of the commission.
One of the lawmakers, who pleaded anonymity, disclosed that opposition to the contravention of the Act establishing PenCom cuts across the South East, South West and the North Central, adding, “We are set to meet tonight (yesterday) to harmonise our positions.”
He recalled that an earlier move by Vice President, Yemi Osinbajo, to push for the nomination of Funsho Doherty from the South West as successor to Anohu-Amazu was frustrated.
“As Acting President, Osinbajo could not push it through. They threatened him with impeachment and used the lawmakers from the North to block him, citing provisions of the same Act,” he said.
He accused Lawan of being a stooge of the presidency in promoting the interest of a particular section of the country, which he noted, was contrary to the Federal Character Principle as entrenched in the nation’s constitution.
- Match Day 6: Three key Premier League matches to watch this weekendOctober 24, 2020The Premier League match enters week six as we look forward to mouthwatering games at the weekend. Chelsea would take on Manchester United, the same ...[Read more]
- Nadia Buari sympathies with Nigerian over #EndSARS protestOctober 24, 2020Ghanaian actress who has played many roles in Nollywood movies, Nadia Buari has sent her words of sympathies and encouragement to the Nigerians who ...[Read more]
- Omotola Jalade-Ekeinde asks Nigerians for forgiveness over Lekki Protest commentOctober 24, 2020Omotola Jalade-Ekeinde has retracted and requested for Nigerians forgiveness for the uncaring comment she made on her Twitter page following the ...[Read more]
- “IF YOU EVER GET TIRED,LEARN TO REST NOT QUIT”, Somadina motivates fansOctober 24, 2020Popular Nigerian actor and ex-lover of Nigerian billionaire’s wife Regina Daniels, Somadina Adinma has taken to social media to motivate his fans and ...[Read more]
- See what Davido’s new post that got fans talkingOctober 24, 2020Nigerian singer and songwriter Davido has taken to social media to reveal his belief. Even though some people believe that God does not exist, the ...[Read more]
- EndSARS protesters have reportedly set ablaze the statue of the late Dr Nnamdi Azikiwe at Awka, See whyIn EndSARSOctober 24, 2020Angry EndSARS protesters have reportedly set ablaze the statue of pioneer President of Nigeria, the late Dr Nnamdi Azikiwe at Denis Memorial Grammar ...[Read more]
- Nollywood actress Destiny Etiko Lament over the current state of NigeriaOctober 24, 2020Nollywood actress Destiny Etiko has taken to social media to lament over Nigeria being a fail country because of bad leaders. Destiny Etiko The ...[Read more]
- Please stay at home if you don’t have any need to go outside, BBNaija Wathoni advises LagosiansIn BBNaijaOctober 24, 2020Former BBNaija housemate Wathoni has advised citizens to stay at home if they do not have anything to do outside. Wathoni The Lagos state government ...[Read more]
- Arsenal vs Leicester City: Arteta provides update on Willian, Ceballos, othersIn SportsOctober 24, 2020Arsenal boss, Mikel Arteta, has provided the latest update on Willian and Dani Ceballos ahead of his side’s Premier League clash with Leicester City ...[Read more]
- Manchester United vs. Chelsea: Three significant points ahead of the weekend showdownIn SportsOctober 24, 2020Manchester United would lock horns with Frank Lampard’s side as the Premier League gets hot by the day. The match will be laden with expectations as ...[Read more]